Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Brandt
United States
Manchester
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 3 different 3 player games of Puerto Rico. In each game, the game ended because the little brown conlonist ran out. We used the correct amount for 3 players. I did enjoy the games, however they all seemed to end prematurely, we were just getting going and then the game was done.. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else experienced this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
It can happen but should not happen all the time.

First are you only counting empty building and not empty fields also?

If so, why are players buying building they can't use? All the open spaces are basically wasted abilities. My guess they are buying several smaller building, espeically the Large indigo and large sugar when you should be saving up for more powerful buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
It can happen but should not happen all the time.

First are you only counting empty building and not empty fields also?

If so, why are players buying building they can't use? All the open spaces are basically wasted abilities. My guess they are buying several smaller building, espeically the Large indigo and large sugar when you should be saving up for more powerful buildings.

All my games have ended this way too. I can't remember if we were counting the open spaces on the field tokens, but I don't think we were...you have me second guessing myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of people experience this, and it's usually because they count the fields as well as the buildings. I'm sure I did it the first several times I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is conventional wisdom that games with new players will usually end due to colonists. This is likely caused by overvaluation of the Mayor action, and undervaluation of the benefit given to the other players when you select it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Particularly in a 3 player game the Mayor can go a couple of rounds without being picked. If it is being picked every or even most times, then it is possible better options are being missed.
However, each and every game on its merits! May just be worth trying a different tactic to blind-side your oppos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Campbell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mayor usually offers less relative advantage to the player choosing it than the other roles. In other words, the benefits from mayor tend to be more balanced between the players and give less relative advantage. There's also a tendency for beginners to get impatient about using newly acquired plantations and buildings, so they'll take the mayor when it's not the best move. Beginners are also less efficient at using the system to score points, so if there is balance between building and shipping, the colonist supply can "win" that race.

Besides the fact that mayor is the best move less often than any other role, another good reason to use it less is defensive. An unavoidable step in building an advantageous position is acquiring superior building(s), which then leads to another unavoidable step, which is manning the building(s). Forcing the leader to slow down and take a weak role like the mayor is often essential to slowing their progress.

Mayor is a lot like craftsman, in that it's generally a weaker role and requires a careful look at the whole situation to avoid mistakes in its use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
done111 wrote:
the little brown conlonist

It's probably best not to mention the color or size of the "colonists". They can be very touchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are they going to do about it? Roll away under the refrigerator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Esko
Sweden
Piteå
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I personally overlooked was that the initial colonists on the ship is not taken from the supply but is added on top of that number. Correcting that makes the game last about one extra round if you have made that mistake.

It is not unusual for beginners to neglect shipping. For us the game pretty much always ends with us running out of VP tokens or multiple ending conditions met in the same round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
done111 wrote:
I have played 3 different 3 player games of Puerto Rico. In each game, the game ended because the little brown conlonist ran out. We used the correct amount for 3 players. I did enjoy the games, however they all seemed to end prematurely, we were just getting going and then the game was done.. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, my group of players has definitely noticed this in 3-player games.

And yes, we always remember the 3 additional colonists that start on the ship, and that you only count open building circles when re-stocking the colonist ship. That's basic.

The odd thing is that the 3-player game setup DOES have relatively fewer colonists per player than the other setups... to wit:

the 3 player game has 58 colonists total (55+3), or 19.3 per player
the 4 player game has 79 colonists total (75+4), or 19.75 per player
the 5 player game has 100 colonists total (95+5), or 20.0 per player

Not sure why that is (guess you'd have to ask the designers), but our solution to it was to play with a couple more colonists in 3-player, and that's worked well... it gives our games that 'one more Mayor phase' before all colonists are exhausted, and thus any 'Mayor-happy' games last a turn or two longer, which is just about perfect.

After a fairly long string of games that ended due to colonists, we finally had a session the other night that ended because someone built out their city. That was a welcome first that night for us... gets tiresome having the game end the same way most every time.

Lately though, it's been a bit more about shipping VP and built-out-city game finishes... ppl just seem a bit less 'Mayor-happy' for whatever reason. But we still have plenty of colonist finishes too, and for some reason those seem to be the least satisfying, if we play with 55+3.

// would've liked it better if the rules had read as follows:

the 3 player game has 60 colonists total: 3 on the ship, 57 in supply
the 4 player game has 80 colonists total: 4 on the ship, 76 in supply
the 5 player game has 100 colonists total: 5 on the ship, 95 in supply

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nielsen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
SystemShock wrote:
[the 3 player game has 58 colonists total (55+3), or 19.3 per player

Not sure why that is (guess you'd have to ask the designers), but our solution to it was to play with a couple more colonists in 3-player, and that's worked well... it gives our games that 'one more Mayor phase' before all colonists are exhausted, and thus our games last a turn or two longer, which is just about right.

The 4p and 5p games see the larger production buildings sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
paeanblack wrote:
SystemShock wrote:
[the 3 player game has 58 colonists total (55+3), or 19.3 per player

Not sure why that is (guess you'd have to ask the designers), but our solution to it was to play with a couple more colonists in 3-player, and that's worked well... it gives our games that 'one more Mayor phase' before all colonists are exhausted, and thus our games last a turn or two longer, which is just about right.

The 4p and 5p games see the larger production buildings sooner.

Could you expand on that? I'm thinking it could just as easily be because the designer(s) felt like the # of colonists in supply should end in 5 or 0 ('a nice round number').

Were you one of the designers or playtesters? If so, it'd be fascinating to hear your thoughts on how the game turned out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.