Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All!

Now having first scenario with vehicles.

An enemy infantry stack of units moves and expends 1 MP in a hex in my line of sight and in the open.

I have a vehicle, open, with a 360 degree MG, a co-axial MG pointing in the right direction too, and a squad riding on the vehicle.

I opportunity fire.

I know that I can't combine the two vehicular machine guns (and I assume I can't combine the passenger squad's fire with either one of the MGs) but... and here comes the question...

Given that I can only fire once at the unit because it expended only one movement factor in the hex, how many of the following can I fire...

1. One vehicular MG?
2. Both vehicular MGs (consecutively and separately)?
3. Both vehicular MGs, and the passenger squad, all consecutively and separately)?

A final rider... if I had also fired the vehicle's main armament (and the passengers jump off and take a morale check) what can I fire in the same situation as set out above:

1. One vehicular MG?
2. Both vehicular MGs (consectuviely and separately)
3. Both vehicular MGs and the main gun (consecutively and separately)

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it sounds pretty lethal, but I think you could pretty much let loose with everything in one hex. 5.3 Opportunity Fire, second paragraph says:

"Moving unit(s) cannot be attacked more than once per movement point expended in the hex, unless attacked by SWs with a To Hit table on the back of their counter, Weapon Teams, helicopters, and vehicles who are stacked with the units that first fired."

Which sure seems to imply that if you Opp. fire from the hex, pretty much any other units/SW in the same hex can join in as well, even if they make separate attacks (but passengers riding tanks can't fire SW).

So for your first case, I think both tank MGs (assuming vehicle is open, otherwise only the CA MG), and the passengers could fire (three separate attacks, -2 FP for each attack if tank is moving, -1 FP for passengers if tank not moving).

For second case, main gun and any usable vehicle MG could fire, all separately. Riders that had to bail out because the main gun was fired couldn't fire, since they get marked with a Moved marker.

Ouch. Light 'em up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark

Thanks for that.

The conclusion therefore is that running with a stack of infantry units, in the open, past an open tank facing you, with a main gun and two MGs, even if you expend only one movement point in the hex, is total folly!

In the scenario I was playing, the main gun cracked one of the units, the first machine gun shook the other two and reduced the already shaken unit, and the final machine gun attack near wiped the entire stack out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, best to try to wait until the tank shoots at something else, THEN run past it in the open (in a later impulse). Tank MGs seem to be quite deadly in LnL. Not to mention the "moving stone building" that a Panther or Tiger is (+4 TM for passenger/crew).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
that a Panther or Tiger is (+4 TM for passenger/crew).

Yeah, but if the tank is hiot with ANY ordnance the squad debarks and takes a morale check. It becomes really, really risky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.