Pete L.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These house rules which are more geared for the short (10-turn) game come after multiple FtF plays. A lot of what will determine the Oda player's course of action is through the chit draw order. Each turn, the various chits representing the different alliances in play are placed in a cup and drawn one-by-one, allowing that drawn alliance to activate. To add another degree of tension in the activation sequence is the inclusion of an 'End of Turn' chit which if drawn, instantly ends that turn even if its the very first chit pulled. While I greatly appreciate the value in including this chit, through several plays its apparent how crippling this can be when playing the short game scenario. I've had games where I've drawn the End of Turn chit on three or four turns before Oda's been able to activate. There's almost no way for Oda to have a chance at winning in those cases, so I've come up with a House Rule (which I've tested) summarized below. My only other beef with the rule system is around combat initiative. If you've played the system, you'll understand how wildly random the results of initiative can be and in my opinion this undermines an otherwise solid title. I believe the level of randomness to be neither historical nor realistic and I've read reviews from many others who share this view. For this, I've come up with my second House rule which serves to slightly mitigate this high degree of luck.

House Rule #1
If Oda controls Kyo (the ancient capital) and in a turn where the End of Turn chit is drawn before either Oda chit is first pulled, then the Oda player may immediately activate as if he had pulled one of his two chits instead thereby delaying the end of the turn. When rolling for his movement though, he does not get the +2 modifier and once his activation is over (all movement and possible combat), the turn immediately ends. Just to be clear, the Oda player cannot use this option if he does not currently control Kyo or if one of his two chits has already been drawn prior to the End of Turn chit having been pulled.

House Rule #2
The change here is to simply add +1 to the initiative differential effects. So now, if the results of initiative from both sides is a differential of:
0 or 1 - Both players may attack this combat.
2 - If the overall commander with the higher initiative result has a higher bravery rating, then only his side can attack. Otherwise, both sides attack.
3 or greater - Only that player's side can attack.

I've play tested both house rules now and found them to improve the overall game without significantly changing the original design intention. If you do try either of them out, let me know what you think.

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try these rules. They sound good to me!

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I prefer the original rules.

One man's opinion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools
I also think that the initiative/combat system is quiete odd, só I use almost the same variant as you suggested. My proposal would be:

Initiative Difference by

0 or 1 - Both sides fire simultaneously
2 - The side which won the Initiative fires first
3 - Only the side which won the initiative may fire this combat round
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mowatt
msg tools
Interesting house rules. The guys in my group agree something is needed to give Nobunaga a boost in the early turns or he will be overwhelmed later in the game. We created some house rules to allow the building of the castle with the expenditure of just 2 MP's over two turns.

More importantly, we allow Oda unlimted regrouping in the same space until he's conquered two clans. He has to get some luck in the early game to have any chance of survival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.