flag msg tools
Insane or Unconscious in an Other World

If an investigator is reduced to 0 Stamina or 0 Sanity
while in an Other World, the investigator is lost in time
and space. He must immediately choose and discard half
of his items and half of his Clue tokens (rounded down),
along with all retainers (if any). His Stamina and Sanity
are restored to a minimum of 1

I dont' get it. This can't happen because if your (Stamina and Sanity)=0 then you are DEVOURED. And why is there "restored to a minimum of 1" instead of "restored to 1"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It mentions both so it doesn't have to say "If the stamina fell to zero, restore it to a minimum of one; if the health fell to zero, restore it to a minimum of one".

And as for "minimum", it may or may not have something to do with a special investigator ability, or item, or ally -- I don't really know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
gschmidl wrote:
It mentions both so it doesn't have to say "If the stamina fell to zero, restore it to a minimum of one; if the health fell to zero, restore it to a minimum of one".

But shouldn't be it "His Stamina OR Sanity
are restored to a minimum of 1." then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I believe they are devoured when BOTH their stamina AND their sanity is taken to zero in the otherworld. Otherwise if their stamina is reduced, they return to the hospital. If their sanity is reduced, they return to the asylumn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
Beholm wrote:
Actually, I believe they are devoured when BOTH their stamina AND their sanity is taken to zero in the otherworld.

No matter if this happens in Arkham or OW. In both cases u are devoured.
I'm asking about this because IMHO there shouldn't be a conjunction (and) but an alternative (or).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Henke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "minimum" is in there to not give the people the wrong impression that a stat higher than 1 might be "restored" to 1. It probably could have been an "or", but then again people could be wondering "Well which one then? Who decides that?".

"And" is not wrong in this case, the rule does apply to both stats it will just only affect one stat, because if both stats drop to 0 you are devoured and never get LiTaS and to that part of the rule.

It's just put in one sentence to keep things short and apply to both cases which makes it sound a little strange to you but you're maybe just overthinking it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is poorly worded. It means if either is reduced to zero, that one is reset to 1. It works just like in Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moss
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's to be more precise so that if, say, Cthulhu was the great old one, then there would be no question about how much stamina/sanity you should have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're devoured if both Sanity and Stamina are reduced to zero? Is that in the base rules or introduced later? (I miss a lot of small rules like this in this game, it seems...)

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
You're devoured if both Sanity and Stamina are reduced to zero? Is that in the base rules or introduced later? (I miss a lot of small rules like this in this game, it seems...)

-shnar

From manual:

DEVOURED INVESTIGATORS

If an investigator is reduced to both 0 Sanity and 0
Stamina at the same time, that investigator is devoured.

If an investigator’s maximum sanity or maximum
stamina is reduced to 0, that investigator is devoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

I seem to remember Kevin clarifying this once long ago, so the rule might not be in the 1st ed. book, if you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my book is 1st Ed. It might be in my book, there are a lot of details like this I somehow missed and have picked up over the years of playing...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchU wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

With that phrasing, it sounds like you have a choice between restoring 1 Stamina or 1 Sanity, which doesn't match the situation. The rule as written tells you to restore both to 1, minimum. Thus, if either value falls to zero, you restore it to 1. If either is greater than one, you leave it alone.

Sounds like the rulebook was written by a fellow Computer Scientist. We have a slightly different concept of how "AND" and "OR" function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
rtwombly wrote:
duchU wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

With that phrasing, it sounds like you have a choice between restoring 1 Stamina or 1 Sanity, which doesn't match the situation.

Hmmm... About this choice - isn't this choice defined by all previous sentences? I mean in default: you choose Stamina or Sanity depending on which one u have lost.

Then there is a mistake in Polish manual because it says: "U gain +1 Stamina and Sanity". So no matter what u have lost u are given one point of Stamina and one point of Sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchU wrote:

I dont' get it. This can't happen because if your (Stamina and Sanity)=0 then you are DEVOURED. And why is there "restored to a minimum of 1" instead of "restored to 1"?

I think that the highlighted text makes sense simply because the rule begins with "If an investigator is reduced to 0 stamina or 0 sanity while in an Other World..."

Thus, all the text that follows only applies in the case of one or the other being depleted. If both are depleted simultaneously, you completely ignore the rest of the text, because you're not satisfying the "If" condition. The bolded text is therefor completely unproblematic, and is written in the way that it is to avoid being too pedantic.

Also, I would assume that the "minimum of 1" is there in case they decide at some point to, for example, make an investigator that has his sanity/stamina restored to 2 or 3. Just making the rule forwards-compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Rider
Poland
flag msg tools
deosilmau wrote:
duchU wrote:

I think that the highlighted text makes sense simply because the rule begins with "If an investigator is reduced to 0 stamina or 0 sanity while in an Other World..."

OMG! You are right. I should stop drinking or something

deosilmau wrote:

Also, I would assume that the "minimum of 1" is there in case they decide at some point to, for example, make an investigator that has his sanity/stamina restored to 2 or 3. Just making the rule forwards-compatible.

True. That makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.