Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quick question about the market.

My understanding is only one card is drawn from the market deck and placed on the slot for the city in which the player is currently in. Does this mean you can only buy whatever is on the top of the city deck? If the player doesn't want the item, is that players market step done? Seems kind of lame to not have a broad selection from which to buy items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaddish wrote:
Quick question about the market.

My understanding is only one card is drawn from the market deck and placed on the slot for the city in which the player is currently in. Does this mean you can only buy whatever is on the top of the city deck? If the player doesn't want the item, is that players market step done? Seems kind of lame to not have a broad selection from which to buy items.

At the beginning you only have the choice between the one card at each city, and the newest market card from the big deck. But the next person in the market gets to pick from the new item AND whatever other people haven't bought. You're not limited to just the top card in the city market, you can look at all of them and pick your preferred item. So as the game develops, the selection becomes broader, which is a feature I like.

This game is wonderfully flexible though, so you could always do your own variant where each city's market starts with three cards, or something along those lines. A lot of people split the market into 3 decks: blacksmith (armor & weapons), tavern (allies), and runes. Then, once in the market, you decide where you want to go and draw from that deck (or pick from the previously unbought items).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The nice thing about the market is that you could indeed make up your own special market rules. I currently play that you draw two cards rather than one so that you get a larger number of items cycling through. I'm working to devise a simple dice roll to determine how many item cards you flip now - so flip 1 base card and add so many depending on a role or a check of sorts.

But really, do whatever you want. If you feel like adding 10 cards at a time to really add variety, go for it. Whatever makes the game fun works - Runebound is HIGHLY customizable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I have a vaiant re: the Market cards. A player throws one die and looks at the number of cards as per the die eg: die shows 4, the player looks at the four top cards of the Market deck.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Excellent, thanks for the quick responses everyone. I think we will definitely play with some house rules - In a normal game we barely got through 25% of the market deck.

Another quick question - If we aren't playing with the doom track (and we will from now on) - how do you LOSE in this game? We got in a position on our first game where we weren't powerful enough to kill most reds but had nothing else to fight. I initiated the endgame rules as per the doom track rules and I ended up winning because I managed to kill one of the reds before we both died. Seems a bit odd though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stevenson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are you running out of coloured challenge chits on the board?

Don't forget that whenever you draw an Event card there is a little sun symbol in the bottom corner of those cards that tells you to repopulate any challenge hexes on the board that have a matching sun symbol. This should provide enough fresh action for you to build yourselves up better before heading for the red ones.

EDIT: Forgot to add that without the Doom track, you don't really 'lose' you just keep fighting and building yourselves up until you are powerful enough to beat the reds and win. The losers are the players who didn't get the reds first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're running out even with various refreshes, you could work in a variant where if you end movement on an adventure/challenge space without a counter on it, you can roll to "search" for an enemy to battle. Like a skill check of sorts - fail means your turn is over and success means you get to draw and resolve an adventure card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
We didn't run out of chits but got in a position where, after upgrading our health, we could only do yellows and then blues. We only drew 3 events in the game and therefore could only refresh 3 times.

I think playing with a market variant, doom track and travel hazards is probably the optimal way to play for us going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you see the drawbacks of upgrading your health! Use that option sparingly, and you won't get into that kind of trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stevenson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, we only upgrade our health maybe once per game. If you can beat the crap out of a monster before it gets a chance to hit you in the first place, you don't really need all that health

Especially if you pick up some sort of healing type artifact, or even pop into a town now and again to heal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I go for the Yellows first, then the purples and lastly the Reds. It should not take long to finish the game.

Ofcourse, if there are four players thinking the same way, you depend on a lucky roll of the dice. However, if you are healthy enough and have good support for your hero, you can cope with a harder nasty

The Market variant I came up with (and I am sure others have done the same type of thing ) does help. If the top card is all you have as a choice, the chances are you will not be getting the requirements to upgrade.

The other thing that is great with this game is that one can play it solo and with different variants as experiments, but now I just use the change in the Market and it is sufficient for a fun solo

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is your market variant? I played solo last night and changed it so each market gets 2 cards face up at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Jesse, are you asking me that question ?

If so, the question regarding the cards : myvariant is in my first post third reply after your OP.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry about that, don't know how I missed it. That variant works pretty well actually and I think I'll use that going forward.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW- I don't play with a Market Variant, as I like the Rules As Written. I think that having a limited number of items available (1 in each town at the beginning except Tamalir gets none), and 1 added during each Market Step keeps the competition for goodies interesting and makes players "make do" with the best stuff they can come up with.

I think having a Ranged-based character who all of sudden comes upon this fantastic 2-handed axe and decides to start sinking training into Melee/Body skills is interesting. Deciding how to reconcile an available Ally whose skills match your hero is also interesting.

I think that adding too many market cards, or choice of market cards, dilutes the interest and excitment and leads to sameness from game-to-game.

Your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I guess my main gripe is that in the normal 2 player game we only saw perhaps 15% of the items available. Especially playing solo I would like to have more options out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only use the original market deck, and you use a 3 card market variant (drawing 3 cards per market step), you will tend to see the same cards over and over again, and you will probably end up buying the same ones (your favorites) more often than not.

That's why most people usually invest in market expansion decks after a few games. I have all the market expansions, and I play with a divided market deck (weapons and armor, allies, runes and magical objects), drawing a card from each of the 3 decks per market step, and I can tell you I see different stuff every game. Of course, I play a lot, so I invested in all the market decks to ensure replayability and variety, you may not play as often, and perhaps will do fine with just a few expansions, or even none at all.

I do recommend a market variant because it gives all the players an increased chance of being able to get good items for their characters.

Items become a commodity, and the availability of items has a lesser chance of affecting who wins the game. I really think the game should be won because you played better, or you took more risks, and not because you were the lucky one to get the good item in a market step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've actually never played with just the base decks. I started out with Champions of Kellos, Walkers of the Wild, and the challenge deck The Dark Forest. I'm thinking about getting Rituals and Runes next along with another challenge deck....either Terrors of the Tomb or Traps and Terrors.

I know it's been asked before but anyone have advice as to a must have next purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.