Subject: Is it a scam? I need your advice please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have found some guy on craiglist who sells a Magic the gathering beatdown box set (which I have been looking for). The price is correct and there was a picture of the box with the cards which were placed on some bed (so, I guess that means that the ad was not a fake one as the picture looked genuine).

Two issues:

1) From the moment I wrote to him to tell him I was interested, he deleted his ad on craiglist. Is that suspicious or not?

2) I wrote to him several times but he didn't reply to my emails until today. He offered to create a paypal account so that I could send the money and he told me I could trust him. Here's what he wrote:

"Sorry, i've been very busy. I still have these magic cards. What if I set up a PayPal account? Would you feel safe doing it that way? I'm not going to rip you off, I've still got to sleep at night you know. Let me know what you think would be best to complete the transaction."

What do you think? Can I trust him? Is paypal safe enough? Should I suggest him to sell me this through ebay or should I forget about the whole thing ans start looking elsewhere?
I could always ask him to sell me this through ebay but there is indeed something wrong. I had sent him an email with various questions concerning the condition of the cards, if the box was 100% complete, etc and he didn't even bother answering these questions...

Any piece of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem shady... I don't know if paypal will protect you on those terms.

He will maybe resist selling through ebay because ebay has some terrible fees attached to it. I looked into it when I was planning on selling my cards and promptly ignored selling through ebay because it would be too expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because the guy isn't internet savvy doesn't mean the worst. I'd say feel free to do cash or check in person, but bring a friend or two with when you pick them up and meet somewhere very public like a mall. It does sound a bit odd, but honestly if you're that worried go via ebay and find another copy.

I sold some very expensive equipment via Craigs List and we met in a parking lot somewhere to make the exchange. Went without an issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! Actually, we don't live in the same city. The guy lives in Indianapolis and I live in Europe. I was about to ask him to send the box to a cousin of mine who lives in Boston and who will bring me the box when he comes back for Christmas. So I can't make the transaction in person.

He asks 50 bucks for a complete Beatdown box set + 100 cards from various other sets. The picture he had posted depicted all the box' contents along with the cards which he had put on his bed. Everything seemed in order and genuine enough but there's something weird about his overall behavior. It takes him something like 4-5 days to answer me each time I write to him, he hasn't answered all of my questions yet and he removed his ad from craiglist the very day I first wrote to him.

I will think about it but I am very cautious about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, go ebay. At least you'll likely deal with someone who's done it before and won't stall on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it seems his listing genuinely expired as they last for 30 days so no worries here as it expired on the 19th of September.

Oh, and here I found the original post thanks to Google Cache:

I have for sale a Magic the Gathering "Beatdown" box set from 2000. It has been very gently used. Includes original packaging and sleeve, cards, dice, and books. These sell for $65-$100 online.

I also have about 250 other random cards. All colors. Not just a bunch of land. Creatures, walls, spells, etc. All gently used.

$50 takes it all.

Contact Jason via E-mail anytime.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if he were intent on scamming you then he'd be more eager to get your money and he wouldn't take a few days to reply to your messages. Maybe he thought the buyer would send him a check/money order but you're not in the US and you explained you couldn't pay that way? His offer to create a paypal account sounds like it was in response to something you said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, Kristi. He doesn't seem that eager to get my money. To answer your question, I am the one who actually suggested that we use paypal. I even suggested ebay but he didn't answer that part of my email (he probably doesn't want to pay the fees). Moreover, 50 bucks are not that much money, so it's not even worth scamming for it. Most ebay and paypal scams concern valuable items like ipods, cell phones, portable consoles worth more than 100 dollars.

Anyway, I am taking my chances. I have made an extensive search on the net and I can always order a chargeback if things go wrong. I have asked the guy to create a verified paypal account (so that he may not run away).

The whole thing looks genuine though. Why would someone go through all the trouble posting an ad on craigslist with pictures and everything jsut for 50 dollars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick the Greek
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I told him to create a verified paypal account to be safer and here's what he says:

"OK, i'll let you know when I get things going. I've been meaning to set one up anyhow. But things have been busy for us lately. Anyways, i'll let you know!

Thanks my man"

What can I say? Seems genuine enough despite the overall weird writing style... I bet it will take him over 2 weeks to set up an account. I will wait and see... I can always change my mind later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With craigslist,

Always meet directly in person.

No exceptions.

It solves all issues..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.