Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is an alternative.

Ad Astra is a new game that combines certain aspects of Race, Puerto Rico and Settlers for a new game with a familiar feel.

First of all, those who love the space-theme will be interested. The game is about exploring planets and extracting resources from them.

The game does not require constant shuffling as well.

Overall, I think it's a great game because it uses many mechanics, yet it does so clearly and simply. I say give it a try, to those who might have turned down Race due to its language learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race requires constant shuffling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations forum.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You think so? I screwed up two moves thanks to the fact that some of the little system symbols can be confused with some of the system artwork (whoever thought it was a good idea to have a little red dot as a system symbol, then paint little red dots on *other* systems' background art wants shooting), and the different resources of the different planets can sometimes be hard to see across an already-busy table. No, I'll keep the RftG iconography, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you have both expansions, I believe Wua-huang (?) said it requires 5+ shuffles of the entire deck to get it shuffled "enough".

To those who don't know squat about the game, the game is played in several rounds.

At the beginning of each round, players choose action cards such as build, produce gold, trade, travel, etc. and place it along a 12-slot track. Then they are revealed one by one in order and each player is able to do an action indicated by the action card revealed.

It's a really interesting game that's worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nusinow
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was very excited by this game, and then I saw it has a 3 player minimum cry My SO and I have enough trouble just getting the two of us to sit down for a half an hour to play a game (usually it's Race), but getting more than that happens very rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
gravityboy wrote:
I was very excited by this game, and then I saw it has a 3 player minimum cry

That's always a deal-breaker for me too.

And a big selling point of RftG for me was the solitaire variant. With that, I know I can play anytime I want to, even if I can't find even one opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there are variant rules for a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
I believe there are variant rules for a two player game.

Please share, if so! This is one of the things holding me back from getting this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would remove the planets that the players can NOT go to and only use 8 of the 12 spaces for placing action cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.