Subject: Agri-solo - Thoughts On My First Solo Series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
visit rollordont.com for a free computer game with a challenging AI player!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, last night I finished my first 8-game series of Agri-solo. I found it pretty interesting, and I'm looking forward to trying it again, to see what other major strategies I can find.

In this series, the first Occupation I got was Seasonal Worker, which gave me a grain every time I took Day Laborer (or a vegetable from Round 6 on). The second game I got the Master Brewer, which let me convert one grain to 3 food during each harvest. This set up a natural Day Laborer and grain (not necessarily baking) strategy, which eventually took care of virtually all of my food needs, letting the animals just accumulate until the end of the game.

In game six I finally got the Baker, so then I tried to get either the Clay Oven or Stone Oven early in the game, to go along with the mounds of grain I was growing each harvest.

I always had either five or six plowed fields, three or four stone rooms and three or four pastures, with from two to four stables.

By the eighth game, my starting moves had settled to something like this:

Day Laborer (+2 food, +1 grain); Plow
Occupation; Sow(3 grain fields)
Harvest : (-1 grain, -3 food, +3 grain harvested)
Wood(10); reed(5)
Build 1 or 2 Wood Rooms; Family Growth
Day Laborer (+2 food, +1 vegetable); Fish (+7 food)
Harvest : (-1 grain, -6 food, +3 grain harvested)

...and so on, with minor variations, depending on Minor Improvements. I tried to set myself up to score the maximum points from extra resources; usually two out of three of these resources would pile up near the end of the game: Wood, Clay or Reed. I usually took the Basketmaker's Workshop and the Pottery.

The last couple of games, I ended up using the last Round to take the last of the wood, Renovate & Fences, then all three piles of animals. I scored 74 points on the last game, but I think it's interesting that I also scored that on the fifth game, with fewer Occupations. It just shows how much effect the order in which the Action cards show up has on the game.

One thing I found interesting is how little wood there is in the game - and what a difference it could make if you still got three wood each time. The first game I started to play in the series, I remembered everything except that -- I put down three wood each time. By the end of the game I had 61 points, and there was still a pile of wood on the board. Once I realized my mistake, I started the series over, and from then on really missed that extra wood. I found myself planning out wood usage just as carefully as food supply. While I could work around shortages of most of the other resources, wood is tougher to do that with; you've got to have fences, you really need stables, and you should probably build at least one wood room. If you get one wood room, four stables and fifteen fences, that's 28 wood, exactly what is in the game (no accident, I imagine). If you want to use wood for anything else, you have to give up one of these things -- usually a stable or two.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this, and would highly recommend trying the eight-game series yourself, if you haven't already.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write-up. One thing that I find myself doing, particularly if the Stone happens to come late, is to go ahead and grab a cheap fireplace and cook up the sheep in Round 7. It's an easy 8-14 food, and the sheep will accumulate back up to 7 (and breed to 8) for the end-of-the-game roundup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cobb
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badalchemist wrote:
Nice write-up. One thing that I find myself doing, particularly if the Stone happens to come late, is to go ahead and grab a cheap fireplace and cook up the sheep in Round 7. It's an easy 8-14 food, and the sheep will accumulate back up to 7 (and breed to 8) for the end-of-the-game roundup.

That's an excellent idea. Early in the series, I did have to cook sheep to get food in the mid-game. Next time I'll try to time it for exactly Round 7 so I can max out both the food and sheep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.