United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to look over an advance copy this weekend.

The components are FANTASTIC! The map is "deluxe quality" (i.e. same thickness and stock as Europe Engulfed, Twilight Struggle, and the other GMT "deluxe maps."

The blocks are the nicest GMT has provided. Tony outdid himself this time. The dimensions are the same as the Columbia blocks but thinner (Commands & Colors: Ancients players will recognize this block size--same as Cavalry). This does much to alleviate the crowding concern we had in playtesting.

The labels look simply gorgeous on the blocks.

The cards are of a nice stock. They look and feel just great.

The rulebook and example of play book are both full-color. The setup charts are also full color.

If you've not preordered there is still (but not much) time to do so. At the preorder price, this game is a steal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kindt
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post photos if you have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, please post pix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
If you've not preordered there is still (but not much) time to do so. At the preorder price, this game is a steal!

Been there, done that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's great, so happy about that!
but what about those overcrowding issues? those 10 blocks in athens still worry me a little bit...how does the stacking or winter quartering limit work ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cicciburicci wrote:
that's great, so happy about that!
but what about those overcrowding issues? those 10 blocks in athens still worry me a little bit...how does the stacking or winter quartering limit work ?

Worry not. Ten blocks fit just fine in Athens. You can winter 16 blocks there. But believe me, that's not a good idea. The Athenians have to send mobile combined land-naval task forces to bases throughout the Aegean if they hope to keep revolts at bay--especially in the 413 and 415 game. In fact, in my last 415 game the Athenians rarely had more than 6 blocks in Athens at any time--and at one point had only 3.

EDIT: How wintering works is you can have a number of blocks equal to twice a city's City Value (City Value doubles as Tribute income). Athens is an "8" so you can put 16 blocks there. Corinth is a 4 so it can house 8, etc.

Lastly, if you still find it crowded, there are two pairs of "Group" markers for each side that you can use. Place one block in Athens, move all the Athenians off the map, and place the matching group block next to them. Voila! I use these when the Spartans bring a big crowd to Attika or Argos. Europe Engulfed had counters which worked like this to good effect.

Guys, I'd post some pics but I need to get my digital camera working first. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario p.
Italy
Venice - Treviso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks joel, always fast & complete (and good thing the group marker!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodger just posted this on CSW:

P.S. The game begins shipping today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That cover strikes me as a very disjointed affair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:

Which aptly describes the conflict in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haqattaqq .
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it actually a mounted board or a paper board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
haqattaqq wrote:
Is it actually a mounted board or a paper board?

Neither.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a heavy card-stock (like 1st and 2nd edition Twilight Struggle).

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesf wrote:

Really? I rather like it.

What sort of cover did you envision when you heard about and read this game? (Just curious, btw, not intending to convey a hostile tone.)

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
It's a heavy card-stock (like 1st and 2nd edition Twilight Struggle).

-Joel

Which, incidentally, is very nice. "Backfoldable" card-stock maps have just become a GMT "standard". Almost all prior games came with flimsy paper maps with the "deluxe" card-stock as a separate purchase. GMT is finally moving toward providing this quality of map with all their games (little by little), with a recent move to mounted maps due to customer requests, I think.

Though the tone of that last paragraph might make it sound like I hate paper maps, it's not really true, I just love high production quality. I have been a plexi-glasser for a couple years now.

The great thing about the cardstock maps is that you get a solid playing surface (by using either the backfolded method or the plexi-glass method), and yet the map weighs a lot less when you want to transport several games (such as to a convention) as compared to mounted maps.

I production quality of this game is really top-notch for the price.

The only way I can envision the game being produced better would be the inclusion of a mounted map, which would have likely pushed up the pricing.

Thanks for the great development on this game, Joel. All the game's you've had a hand in lately have been great purchases for me.

Chris

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All the game's you've had a hand in lately have been great purchases for me.

Thanks for the kind words.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.