Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
Hey! I run a board game blog at swordboardandpen.com! Come check it out!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey my fellow Grognads:

I have a bit of a problem (even though it is a very good problem to have). I just got my monthy paycheck and decided it was time to buy some games. I have already bought the reprint of Ranger, but I would like some world war II action. I will be getting whatever game I don't choose within the next two months, but I want to get a good one first.

RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 or D-Day at Omaha Beach?

Both are from Decision Games, both are by the Co-Designer of Ambush! (which is the only solitaire wargame I have so far), and both look really amazing to me. I am leaning towards D-Day because I am going there for a school trip in January, so I could start learning about that specific beach through the game, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions from people who have played both? Which one is easier to learn? Price really isn't an issue either.

Help BGG, you're my only hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have them both and my default answer is buy both b/c they're both great games.

I'd give Dday the slight nod though if I had to choose one. It's very easy to pickup (not too complex) but I feel like I'm making a lot more meaningful decisions in Dday vs. RAF. And it is cheaper.

RAF does offer two solitaire versions (play as British or Germans) and a two player mode if this appeals to you. Dday just had the single solataire game, and a cooperative two player option.

Whichever one you buy though ... start saving up again, b/c it'd be a shame if you didn't buy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the quick advice. I will be buying both, it was just a matter of which one to buy first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy D-Day first. Play it before you go on your trip and after, if it is possible take it with you too. The knowledge of both the game and the actual area just heightens the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I intend to buy them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew L.
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
Sword, Board and Pen
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the Advice! I think I am going to go with D-Day first, and get RAF either in November or December...either way, there will be plenty of wargamey goodness in my future. Thanks for all of your input!

Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kalina
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be a little late, but...

Any body who knows- I am very big on Solo games. While RAF is brilliant, I feel D-Day Omaha is less so. There are some good decisions to be made to be sure, yet I feel as though the outcome (whether I win or lose) is not based on the decisions I make, but instead is based on the way the cards come up. I feel that D-Day is good for a number of plays, while RAF will be played for years to come. Did I get my moneys worth from D-Day- I think so, but in comparison to RAF it seems to me to be the weaker sister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.