Adam vanLangenberg
Australia
Cheltenham
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just finished playing Mission #1 and have upgraded my squad. One of my soldiers lost a Semi-Automatic Rifle due to breaking it while attempting to clear a jam. According to the rules this is how equipment is now purchased:

Quote:
Rearm your entire squad at the beginning of the next mission, using your squad's Weapon Point total.

That seems pretty obvious to me, I erase all of my squad's equipment and buy everything new from scratch.

My squad started Mission #1 with 39 Weapons Points. Going by the rules it would mean that I always have 39 Weapons Points to spend with this squad and no option to upgrade that later.

Is this correct?

Cheers,
vanAdamme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, AFAIR. Weapons points are balanced against your (initial) squad ability. Soem missions will explicitly give you special weapons you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some errata or other text in one of the expansions that indicated that you can/should reroll weapon points before each mission. I was never able to find anything mentioned in the rules though and never played like that. Someone else might have a better reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, Pelle is right, you should roll weapon points before each mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The AMBUSH rules gave you the option to either play the scenarios separately (generating a squad for each) or as a campaign (using the same squad for all). Squad Points and Weapon Points are rolled during squad generation, which happens only once when playing the campaign.

It is true, that the more missions you play with one and the same squad, the more important WP get, because even a low SP squad will eventually grow tough as nails.

However, rolling for WP before every mission wouldn't change this, because you would still always add your SP to the roll to determine your WP, and SP always stay the same.

I suggest to just play every mission with average SP and WP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Flatseth
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When doing a Campaign, I like to reroll the weapon points for every mission as this adds more variety to equipment I can/cannot buy. Starting mission 1 with lowest weapon points and knowing you got a low budget through the rest of the campaign is a little demoralizing (I too want to buy some cool machinegun at least once! , same other way round, getting lucky giving you a big account for the whole campaign can feel a little "wrong" too..

I calculate the diemodifier by checking how much worth of squadpoints the squad would cost if bought at the start of each mission (after promotions).

Regarding promotions, I try to randomize what stat is gained when members have enough cp for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The errata compilation in files states that when playing a campaign game, you never reroll the squad points but that you can choose to either reroll the weapon points every mission or to keep the mission one roll.
Whichever you choose, stays in effect for the remainder of the campaign, you cannot switch back and forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william hill
msg tools
mb
Ive read many posts on this, but buying all new equipment is feeling like a hassle right now. (just finished Mission 1, not playing Campaign.)
Can I still validly play all the Missions just using the pre-generated squad sheet exactly as it is? (i realized that some missions might force a piece of equipment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you? Probably, but I would strongly advise against it. Rolling for points and then buying the equipment, not to mention then setting up a new squad sheet, took me less than 5 minutes per mission. Being able to try out some of the other weapons was a great treat. Certain missions will not require you to have specific items/equipment, but can make the mission far easier/more interesting.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
There was some errata or other text in one of the expansions that indicated that you can/should reroll weapon points before each mission. I was never able to find anything mentioned in the rules though and never played like that. Someone else might have a better reference.

Because this thread was bumped I want to comment my own previous comment: I started playing Battle Hymn recently using the optional rule, re-rolling for weapons points before each mission, and I think it is more fun that way. Also that single die-roll for how much weapon points you get is VERY important with the rules as written. Roll low and you will have a squad that is forever very well-equipped. Roll high and you have to struggle through every mission with semi-auto rifles and a few grenades and never enough to buy something fun. Rolling for each mission I hope to see a bit of both happening. Will try that in Ambush! when I play again (soon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william hill
msg tools
mb
Thx guys,
I will read that section and see how the "buying" goes...
yes, any new weapon at all would be interesting. If I get into the Mission and realize I wish I had had something, well...I will learn the hard way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.