Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I finally installed Ubuntu on an old laptop and I have to say . . . why have I waited so long?

It's faster than windows. User friendly.

and I've had none of the driver issues that older/other versions had.

So it's official, you don't have to wait any longer. Get yourself some Ubuntu!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems in recent years that Ubuntu has become the best free Linux desktop. I used to be a Red Hat fan (I taught classes for them, so I knew their setup with my eyes closed), but a few years back I was getting frustrated, tried Ubuntu, and I've never regretted it.

Well, I regret it every time I need to deal with packages; I found rpm+yum to be much better than the Debian/Ubuntu set of tools, but that's something I do just once in a while, and I can live with it. In more important ways, like support for different hardware and nice system tools, Ubuntu wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
It seems in recent years that Ubuntu has become the best free Linux desktop. I used to be a Red Hat fan (I taught classes for them, so I knew their setup with my eyes closed), but a few years back I was getting frustrated, tried Ubuntu, and I've never regretted it.

Well, I regret it every time I need to deal with packages; I found rpm+yum to be much better than the Debian/Ubuntu set of tools, but that's something I do just once in a while, and I can live with it. In more important ways, like support for different hardware and nice system tools, Ubuntu wins.

I find it odd that you found exception with Ubuntu's packaging tools. I always thought the Debian way of doing package mangement was the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem I've had with Ubuntu (and I use it at home almost exclusively) is that it doesn't run Windows-native stuff very well. At least not the stuff that I'd want it to. Sure, there's Wine, but I've not had very good experiences with it - it seems to be a resource hog and runs everything very slow. But since the main things I run on Windows are my games, and I don't have the time to play them like I once did, it's not a big factor.

Some minor problems I've had is I can't get it to recognize my scanner (I have an all-in-one printer; it prints fine, but it won't detect the scanner, even though I'm pretty sure I installed the drivers). Also, when I try to plug my MP3 player into my computer using a USB cable, it can detect it for reading purposes, but can't write to it, because it doesn't seem to "mount" it correctly as a file system.

That all being said, I have a hard time going into my windows anymore. Compared to how fast Ubuntu boots up, Windows seems painfully slow. And if I do need to access a file (usually pictures) that is on my Windows partition, Ubuntu makes it very easy to mount it. (Whereas Windows seems to be reluctant to let me try and "mount" my Ubuntu partition; I haven't found an easy way to do that, not that I've had a burning desire).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
apt get for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get around to doing this. I don't play video games anymore, just some browser board games. I do stuff in Open Office and some image editors, all of which are available for linux. It would certainly help easy my mind on the virus front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The biggest problem I've had with Ubuntu (and I use it at home almost exclusively) is that it doesn't run Windows-native stuff very well. At least not the stuff that I'd want it to. Sure, there's Wine, but I've not had very good experiences with it - it seems to be a resource hog and runs everything very slow.

Wow, the WINE team have been busy. It runs *just* like Windows now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
apt get for the win.

I think you're confused. apt get is for the linux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
apt get for the win.

I always used debian. And everything installed with apt-get. I never installed anything with Ubuntu, actually I've never installed Ubuntu. So maybe it's different, but I thought Ubuntu was built on Debian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
apt get for the win.

I always used debian. And everything installed with apt-get. I never installed anything with Ubuntu, actually I've never installed Ubuntu. So maybe it's different, but I thought Ubuntu was built on Debian.

I think you're still confused. Chit Chat reply is for the lulz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.