Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the cooler functions of BGG is that if someone submits a picture of a game, but there's another game in the picture, you can link the picture to the second game.

Like this:

While from Sushizock im Gockelwok, it is also linked to Outfox, and can be seen in that game's gallery. Yet it still only occupies one space in the BGG photo database. Brilliant!

Not so brilliant are the geekmodders who don't read. Using the "Also depicts" function, I tagged this picture for Cathedral:

I did this twice. Here are some of the shining insights I received:
Quote:
This picture is of Quoridor.
Cathedral is only partially in the shot, the game mainly displayed is Quridor.
Focus on Quoridor, Cathedral barely visible
What did they think "also depicts" meant? I'm stunned that these people even found geekmod, let alone are able to play the complex games BGG is all about (like Tigris & Euphrates, Quoridor, or LCR).

I don't get any for adding the link, and the comments under the picture make the connection. But the function is there for a reason. If people would read (and maybe think) while modding, the system would work as it was intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
tommynomad wrote:
...the system would work as it was intended.

Modders are idiots, you expect far too much from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

I resemble that remark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Aldaron wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

I resemble that remark!

So do I. And lots of people who mod are careful in their work. The BGG database proves that pretty well.

But even here, as in life, we are often met by monkeys (with typewriters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
But even here, as in life, we are often met by monkeys (with typewriters).

So... 100 monkeys with 100 typewriters over 100 years should eventually produce 1 correctly moderated image?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Quote:
Focus on Quoridor, Cathedral barely visible
What did they think "also depicts" meant? I'm stunned that these people even found geekmod, let alone are able to play the complex games BGG is all about (like Tigris & Euphrates, Quoridor, or LCR).
[...]
If people would read (and maybe think) while modding, the system would work as it was intended.

You think it's intended that if an image show a small part of another game, i should reside in both galleries? I don't.

What use is this image for the gallery of Cathedral? Should it be accepted if somebody uploads it directly to that gallery? I don't think so. And my reasoning isn't that it takes up valuable server space, but that it clutters the gallery.

Image linking was introduced for PRGgeek, to show an image in 'versions', 'games' and 'systems'.

Image linking is usefull on BGG to display an image which shows a game with expansions in both galleries, or to show an image of a designer holding a game in both the game and designer gallery, for example. But not to clutter the galleries with images that don't depict the game in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
It's pretty peripheral in this if you ask me. I'd have modded it down. It's almost like it's a subjective thing and reasonable people can disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What use is an image in any gallery? Galleries are not utilitarian spaces, they're creative ones. If they weren't, they'd be restricted to game components & boxes.

Since in the very example I used, I had asked "what's that game off to the side," I think dual-listing images is a perfectly fine use of linking. But even if--in the opinion of some--it isn't, that doesn't lessen the idiocy of the comments above, given the context of the modding request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
What use is an image in any gallery? Galleries are not utilitarian spaces, they're creative ones. If they weren't, they'd be restricted to game components & boxes.

That is going to be the point the argument spins around on.
It always is.
The debate between utility and art in the galleries.

Quote:
But even if--in the opinion of some--it isn't, that doesn't lessen the idiocy of the comments above, given the context of the modding request.

You normally seem pretty cool and collected. It seems you're getting a bit too worked up about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curran
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's any consolation, I voted yea for the latter picture twice.

I don't see how it detracts from anyone's use of the site to include it.

I don't understand the argument that the picture has "no value." If we filter pictures based on taste, you could throw out 90% of what is in the database by my lights. This picture is tasteful, IMHO. If you filter on information content, you can throw out just as many. Arguably this one has some information in it: about whether the game is easy to play in natural light at the beach; whether it's suitable for children; and what other games are like it. The number of images for a game is a rough marker for its popularity, so why not include it?

Let's be inclusive. The integrity of BGG is not at risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not modded it, but if so, I might have rejected it. This is really not so obvious, because I think an image should have at least some relevance to the game it is attached to. In this case, you can see half the game board - this may or may not be enough relevance. If the Cathedral board were fully visible, it should be in the Cathedral gallery for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.