Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be obvious that I played a lot of X-COM and similar squad-level tactical games back in the day, but at some point it occurred to me that Space Hulk doesn't have any rules for kneeling. Such a vital strategy surely can't go missing so I whipped up some custom rules for it. This hasn't yet been playtested properly (still teaching the game to my girlfriend), but it should work quite well as it strengthens the core competencies of the marines while also making their weaknesses even worse.

New action: Kneel/Stand Up - 1 AP

- At any time when he may perform an action a marine may choose to kneel for one action point. Any marine currently kneeling may instead choose to stand up.

- Place a kneeling counter (I'm planning on using those little black waste squares that punched out from between tiles, but you could just make your own or write it down on paper) next to the marine. This is not removed during the mission status phase.

- While a marine is kneeling the following rules apply:

* A marine may not move or turn while kneeling.

* Due to steadier aim the marine receives a +1 to rolls for the storm bolter/assault cannon, but not the flamer. A marine may go into overwatch while kneeling.

* Because of the awkward position a marine receives a -1 penalty to close combat rolls. A marine may not go on guard while kneeling.

* A kneeling marine does not restrict line of sight to a standing marine. He does restrict line of sight to another kneeling marine.

Basically that's it. You're a sitting duck, but you shoot a little better and you can have two marines firing together in tandem.

I haven't yet decided if letting the assault cannon fire from a kneeling position is overpowering things (uhh... it's already gyro-stabilized so kneeling doesn't help steady your aim... yeah), but this seems to do the job in a simple, elegant manner that merely reinforces the strengths and weaknesses the marines already have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can kneel in: Legions of Steel

In fact, you can cover fire, supress, incline turn, throw grenades, and a slew of other options that Space Hulk lacks. If you like Space Hulk but thirst for more depth, Legions of Steel is a game you should really try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-M
msg tools
Kneeling was actually allowed in 1st ed, BUT only for Imperial Guard. Space marines, and especially terminators, are just far too bulky in the limited confines of a space hulk. I would never give an extra +1 to hit for it, as overwatch would become even more powerful than it already is in 3rd ed, and I still use 1st ed rules for sustained fire to give the stealers an easier time. If you look to include regular marines, I would argue that they could kneel, but even then I would likely only allow it for LOS purposes.

Also, termies are, by 40k fluff, mobile weapons platforms of a sort. If you look to 40k, they can move and fire as though they were stationary, even with heavy weapons. Thus an extra bonus to firing is, to me, unnecessary from a fluff standpoint as well as a balance standpoint.

On a related note, HELL YEAH!! X-com is FTW. Don't know if you've tried it before, but look to find 40K: Chaos Gate. It's essentially the X-com system in the 40K universe, Space Marines vs Chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_gecko wrote:
Kneeling was actually allowed in 1st ed, BUT only for Imperial Guard. Space marines, and especially terminators, are just far too bulky in the limited confines of a space hulk.

I initially thought about that, but Brother Scipio is posed kneeling... or rather close enough to it to make it seem feasible.

the_gecko wrote:

I would never give an extra +1 to hit for it, as overwatch would become even more powerful than it already is in 3rd ed, and I still use 1st ed rules for sustained fire to give the stealers an easier time. If you look to include regular marines, I would argue that they could kneel, but even then I would likely only allow it for LOS purposes.

I can see how allowing a marine to kneel giving a marine behind him LOS, along with a to hit modifier and overwatch on both could be a bit of a problem, but it feels like it would be balanced by the lack of movement and AP cost. A marine would be able to stand up, move one space and fire, and go into overwatch. If they weren't kneeling they'd be able to fire twice and wouldn't be slowing down the advance as much. Perhaps this could be balanced out if kneeling took two AP, like turning 180, so it would be impossible to move, kneel, and go into overwatch on the same turn without using CP.

Without the bonus to hit it would seemingly be unbalanced to give a -1 in close combat.

I think the idea of a marine being able to dig in and adopt am almost purely defensive posture like this makes sense, but I can see how others might disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, now if only the marine minis could be positioned to kneel (knee joints?). That would be sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even without the bonus, i feel that allowing two marines to cover the same hallway would be rather unbalancing - The whole idea of Space Hulk is that the corridors are too small for multiple terminators to be effective on a single front. A Conga Line of marines would, all of a sudden, become a powerful fighting force, rather than a bottleneck of doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:
Even without the bonus, i feel that allowing two marines to cover the same hallway would be rather unbalancing

Quoted for truth. You could make kneeling give you no bonus to fire and quadruple the other penalties, and kneeling would still be too powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Gyges wrote:
Saan wrote:
Even without the bonus, i feel that allowing two marines to cover the same hallway would be rather unbalancing

Quoted for truth. You could make kneeling give you no bonus to fire and quadruple the other penalties, and kneeling would still be too powerful.

Quoted again! I like the kneeling concept, but it's too powerful. Plus, as said before, according to the canon and theme of the game terminators can't and never would kneel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.