Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before the Grey Knights are called to take away this heretic, please allow me to explain my Chaos-derived thoughts.

In Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader, Terminator Armor had more weaponry that was more accurate on the battlefield than in Space Hulk. Terminator Armor was more effective because of superior saving rolls.

Has anyone tried using Space Hulk movement rules and Rogue Trader combat rules? I am not suggesting to use the entire Rogue Trader rulebook. Terminators appear to be more accurate at long ranges than in the short corridors of a space hulk.

I do not want the Genestealers to miss out on the fun therefore they would gain the Rogue Trader Attack attribute of 4. Each time an AP is spent by a Genestealer to close combat a Marine, the Genestealer rolls 4d6. The Marine will be able to have a saving roll.

Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader presented attributes for each figure. The Space Marines had four classes with very few members surviving to reach the top two classes.

One of the benefits of reaching these classes is gaining of abilities. In TearDown's Alien Assault, if a Marine survives a mission, a higher rank is earned. The Marine gains in skills and access to weapons.

The advantage of gaining more experience is a figure will be more effective in combat. The disadvantage is that hard-earned knowledge can be lost in a second. If the Marine player relies too heavily on these enhanced Marines, the lower-skilled Marines may not be able to respond to the loss.

In Rogue Trader higher-class Marines could gain two hit points. Seeing a Marine with two hit points would be a huge effect on the game. If only one Marine, a melee weapon-equipped one, could be given or earn this attribute, the game might not be negatively affected. If the Lightning Claws-armed Marine had two hit points, the Marine might last longer in close combat . . . for about a minute but the series of combats by the Terminator would be glorius.

I am not suggesting to use the Rogue Trader rulebook to replace Space Hulk. A gamer should play 40K instead if that is the goal. What I am suggesting is a few ideas from Rogue Trader might be added to an experimental Space Hulk game if players want to try something slightly different than the scenarios of the Missions Book of Space Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if it was worth doing then it would have been done by now. I have played rogue trader, 2nd edition 40k and 100+ games of space hulk and don't think that combining space hulk with another GW system would improve game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want really powerful terminators, throw away Rogue Trader and go all the way back to Laserburn/Imperial Commander. In that ruleset, the Marine analogues were wearing a powered suit called "Light Armour" (!); the next level up from that, called "Power Armour", was the equivalent of WH40k terminators' armour - a thicker, stronger powered suit with integrated systems and weapons (weaponry remarkably similar to the Storm Bolter and Power Fist combo, but players could mount a double-barrelled support bolter instead (very simmilar to the autocannon in effect).

But the top line suits were called "Dreadnought Armour", and were absolutely godlike on the battlefield. Loaded with toys and gizmos, incredibly hard to damage, and even more firepower - including mounting a three-shot missile launcher on top, the middle tube of which contained a tactical battlefield nuke quite capable of clearing 25% of the tabletop battlefield!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.