The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Assault of Gallus step by step rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
HI everyone,

It's been a long while since I last played the game and I feel a bit rusty about the rules and the gameplay. That's why I decided to start again with the Assault of Gallus which is simpler than the full campaign.
I also intend to test one of my new tools and intend to illustrate this session report with some cool Pics!

INTRODUCTION: This scenario recreates the failed assault of NC by Cestius Gallus and the XIIth Legion in November 66 A.D. The roman player cannot engage in mining and has only one legion at his disposal which considerably limits his options at the begining of the game. The judean, however, has to set up first and the 'MINIMUM FORCES rule' insures that he cannot concentrates his defence easily on a single point until turn 4. It is thus imperative for the roman to select a weak point in the defence and then move swiftly before the judean can effectively organizes his defense.

JUDEAN SETUP: The Judean MUST keep at least one combat unit in each of the Bastions and Forts along NC wall (Excluding QQ32) until at least turn 4. WIth only 17Regs, 3Zealots and 23Militia at game start it is impossible to stack 2 High in every BFF!

However, the steep slopes on the west and east sides of the NC should prevent the roman from reaching the wall there before turn 2 and even in such a case he would only be able to assault using escalade since the towers need 3 turns to get there. SHould the roman attempt such an approach, the judean would have enough time to shift his defense along the wall and prevent any breakthrough.

The judean can then concentrate his best troops stacked 2 high in the bastions along the North wall from where the attack is likely to come and leave the east and west side of NC defended by single Militia in the BFF without taking much risks.

Following these principles, here follows the Judean setup. The cauldrons have also been concentrated along the North Wall and in the bastions (Fort and Fortresses should be able to resist on their own).

This is just the Setup along the North Wall, on the East and West, all the Bastions and Forts are guarded with a single Militia. Even so it was difficult to have stacks of 2 Regs or Zealots everywhere along the North wall : I had to use Militia there as well stacked with the regs.

I'll post the roman setup and the 1st turn next time as I am a bit short on time today.

PS: The pictures look very small! I think you can zoom by clicking on them. How do you put larger images in your posts?

Bye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Forum_Formatting
And: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164979

Quote:

create [ImageID=xxxxxx] to display an image hosted at BGG.
Note that with ImageID you can give an optional argument (micro, square, small, medium, large, original) in the brackets to set the image size, e.g. [ImageID=xxxxxx original]. The default is small.

Looking forward to the rest of the session report(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
wow! Thanks for the tip Joris

Ok, I have some spare time so I go on.

ROMAN SETUP:The Judean is right, It would be suicidal to make an attempt against the eastern or western side of the New City. The roman must move quickly and cannot afford a 3 turn delay in this scenario. True, the defence is weak there but the judean, moving along the wall, can reinforce the western and eastern BFFs in just one turn.

So it will be the North Wall : I decide to go for the Northwestern part of the city, between the women's gate and Psephinus Tower. To be more precise, I intend to open a breach in the wall between the two Bastions P33 and S30. I hope to be able to use the clear hexes behind the wall to my advantage once I get into those bastions and open a 2 hexes breach in between. Once I can put Archers on the wall it will become intenable there for the judean who will have to fall back to the defence of the buit-ups. and there are so many that can be threatened in the area that I hope he will be stretched a little too thin devil .

It is VITAL for the roman to take P33 and S30 as fast as possible as well as keep its ram working continuously. Once this has been accomplished it might be good to try and take a few more bastions along the wall but NOT BEFORE the main goal has been completed!

Here follows the roman setup:

Note:

The Towers are aimed at the walls, not the bastions. This is simply because with minimal fire support chance to take one of the bastions during the first melee are dismal and the counterattack could be nasty.
Instead, since the walls are yet unmanned, I intend to put some FHI there, using the free advance from towers onto elevated hexes at the end of the melee phase if these are unoccupied.

this will serve two purposes: First, the FHI on the wall being mandatory targets will soak most of the judean fire coming from those bastions and protect the more fragile Velitae and Syrian archers that I need to get as close as possible from the wall for the next FP. Second and most important, if they can survive the judean return fire they will prevent free movement along the wall and make it much more difficult for the judean to reinforce the area, especially with new cauldrons.

The ballista and the Onager cover both bastions but the cats and the rest of the fire support need to be moved into primary range. A few testudoes will be used to soak Judean fire coming from the other bastions around AND, along with the roman cavalry, protect the eatern flank of the roman formation and deter the judean from attempting any suicidal sortie out of the women's gate against the roman towers.

OK, that's it, The game start with a roman FP.

TURN 1

ROMAN FIRE PHASE:

With dice rolls of 1 and 2, roman long range Artillery fire is absolutely without any effect!

ROMAN MOVEMENT PHASE:

As indicated before with a small difference: The tower in the west has been directed at the wall hex just beside bastion M36 as I needed something there to prevent the judean from firing upon the roman archers closing on P33.

ROMAN MELEE: NONE, but the sacrificial 5-8 on the towers can move freely onto the wall (Poor Guys !).

Here is the situation at the end of the first roman melee phase:

Cestus Gallus (who, as per 2.44, has rank of commander) has been moved to provide a welcome bonus for the rallying of the roman Cats next turn.
Some Velitae are in the Long range LOF of Regulars from bastion K37 and have been stacked with a fresh Heavy Infantry for the -1 drm it provides.

That's all for now folks, I have to go..
Bye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
On we go!

JUDEAN TURN 1:

RALLY PHASE:: None. Still no casualties!

FIRE PHASE:

-ROMAN:

-The ram rolls a 2 and inflicts 1 damage to the wall.

-Arty and Archers against the bastions:

[Note: I usually advocate maximum concentration of roman firepower on a single point in order to get as much E results as possible (A dead regular won't come back). However, here, there is no roman melee to follow and even an E,E result against Bastion P33 would not lead to its capture.
What I want now is enhance the chance of survival of the FHI on the wall by disrupting as much regular as possible: That's what I call a suppression fire, the idea being to prevent the judean from shooting back. Hence my decision not to concentrate everything against P33 but fire with the onager and a few velitae against S30 as well. ]

- Against P33 : I'm still able to concentrate 30FP there with the ballista, all the archers at close range and a few firing fom long range. There aren't any towers in the LOF anf there is a militia in the bastion so I get a +1 drm. still a good shot!

I roll a 2 (duh!) +1 = 3 for a D,D result. The judean decides to disrupt 1 Militia and 1 Regular.

[NOTE: Why not disrupt the cauldron there and keep a fresh regular in the bastion? Simply because regulars can easily retreat to a safe place and are easy to rally and to replace with fresh ones. The disrupted cauldron would have no place to go with the roman FHI on the wall and would become a liability: with fresh roman units on the wall and under fire it would undertake a +3 drm to its rally die roll! In all my games I've lost countless bastions and fortresses due to a panicked unit inside .]

- Against S30: I kept the onager and a few velitae to use against S30. Only 12FP against the two regulars there and I'd be glad to disrupt at lest one.

I roll 6 for a D,D result! I didn't expect that much. The two regulars are disrupted and won't fire next FP insuring the survival of at least one FHI. Mission accomplished: No cauldron will be able to reach S30 next turn .

- Against V27: Only two velitae testudoes there for a grand total of 4FP. I do not even expect any result here.

However, I roll 6 again and disrupt the zealot there! (Zealots are easier to rally and beside the judean needs to keep a fresh regular there to try and shoot that FHI on the wall to pieces)

WOW! What a good fire phase for the roman: There will be nearly no judean return fire against my most exposed units. Quite an unexpected result with two 6 in a row.

And now, the whole thing in picture:

-JUDEAN:

ARgh! Not much left to shoot with! My best shot is with the 2 Regs inside M36 against the FHI on the wall.

-2Regs from M36 against FHI on the wall: 6x2(Wall bonus) -1drm.

I roll 3 -1=2 for NO RESULT!

OK, look at the picture for the rest of the judean FP. It's quite depressing. Despite my average dice rolls I fail to inflict a single casualty to the romans. The FHI on the wall are left intact and it doesn't look good for the future . The roman FP was simply too good!

I will post the Judean Movement phase next time as I have to go for now.
Should be back soon though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
MOVEMENT PHASE (Judean Turn 1):

Things start to get difficult for the judean already: The roman fire was unexpectedly successful, leaving a lot of disrupted units in the bastions under attack, while at the same time, the inability to remove the roman HI from the wall prevent the judean from moving directly along the wall.

It will be impossible to move a cauldron into S30, furthermore it is also impossible for the judean to move two fresh units there as replacement! Only one is available as all the other fresh units (having to use the staircases to bypass the roman infantry on the wall) are too far away!

SO, I do not like that at all but I'll have to keep one of the two disrupted regulars into P33 along with a fresh one if I wish to remain stacked at least 2 high!

[NOTE:What about the leaders? Should Ben Levi be sent into P33 or S30 as reinforcement? I chose not to and these are my reasons: The whole roman artillery as well as most of the roman fire support are aimed at P33. After the roman rally his catapults next turn, he can concentrate easily 48FP against the bastion if he uses all his available units, and, after moving some of his units, up to 54FP the following fire phase. The risk of a double E,E and the elimination of one of the judean leader is quite High! And this is without counting the probable melee in between the two fire phase. Same for S30 where the roman fire support could be brought to bear in a single move and where Ben Levi would only be stacked 3 high. Losing one of the faction leders by turn 2 could have some dire consequences.

Of course, the roman could fail to rally his cats or roll low during the FP. So, here it's a matter of choice and I decided not to take the risk and use my leader to help rally my disrupted units in and around the bastions and he was sent behind the wall as close as possible from the disrupted regular in S30. Note that ben Gourion was sent into bastion V27: There is no risk of sudden death there.

So, Disrupted judean units are retreated behind the wall around their leader (except one in S30) and replaced by fresh ones while the whole defence is shifted westward along the wall. Reinforcement are coming albeit slowly. Ben Gourion takes over the defence of V27 and send some of his regulars downstairs to try and dislodge the roman HI on the wall from the ground, as well as relieve the survivor inside S30 next turn.

Zealots are speeding along the road and the north wall hoping to reach the area before a roman breakthrough.

Follow pictures of the situation at the end of the Judean movement phase.

JUDEAN MELEE:The picture shows clearly what happened. The 5-8s on the wall proved too tough for the judean and the melee was absolutely without any effect.

a close view around the assaulted bastions at the end of the Judean Mellee phase:

THE MISSING ZEALOT:Sorry, after I took the picture I noticed that one of the judean Zealot was missing! I had inadvertently deleted the game piece. I corrected my mistake and it will appear in the next serie of pictures after the melee phase. The Zealot is rushing on the road just behind Ben gourion's units!

Sorry, have to go again, the end of turn 1 and the begining of turn 2 next post>
Bye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
SUMMARY OF TURN 1: Well, I played this scenario many times and never had such a strong start as the roman. The decision to put FHI on the wall to hinder judean movements and his ability to easily reinforce the area under attack was sound. However I didn't expect to have them ALL survive for a complete game turn.

A lot of regulars have already been disrupted due to heavy roman fire and reinforcements are slow to reach the area due to the roman lodgements on the wall. The coming turn might be critical for the defence of Jerusalem if the roman continues to be so lucky!

TURN 2:

ROMAN RALLY PHASE:Cestus attempts to rally his cats and continues to roll lot of 6s . Despite the presence of the roman commander nearby, only two cats are rallied and one is even routed!

FIRE PHASE:

The Judean goes first: Lots of 1 and 2! Only 1 of the FHI on the wall gets killed by a D,D result but the two others are left unscathed!
IT'S UNBELIEVABLE cry.

Look at the picture at the end of the Judean Fire Phase. Only noted the results this time and NE stands for No Effect.

It doesn't look good at all! 2 consecutive judean fire phases and a single 5-8 in the roman dead pile

WILL THE ROMAN DO BETTER? gulp

you'll know it nest post as I'm going away for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
ROMAN FIRE PHASE:

OK, time to get the real job done. despite the fact that two of the roman catapults refused to rally, I'm still able to find 42FP to fire at bastion P33: I want to get rid of that cauldron NOW.

I won't have much left to fire anywhere else so I do not expect too much against S30 and V27.

But first, the ram : with a die roll of 4 I can add 2 more damage to the wall for a total of 3.

Follows the roman fire against the Bastions:

Oups, you cannot see the onager on the picture. it's just north of where the yellow arrow is originating.

DONE! with a die roll of 5 I eliminate 1 Regular and 1 cauldron from bastion P33. WIth only one fresh regular remaining I should be able to take it next melee phase.

Fire against V27 is uneffective and I only have 2FP left to fire at S30 so I can't even try it!

MOVEMENT PHASE:

After the good roman fire phase and since I should take bastion P33 during the next melee phase I decide to shift the roman fire support east, to bear against my next target S30.

I also decide to assault both bastions next phase even if I don't have much chance to take S30 right now. With another roman fire phase to follow I can make an attempt there without much risk for the units riding the towers.

Hence, the Veteran Infantry ride atop the three towers which are then pushed against the two bastions by the remaining 6-8s inside (you only need one fresh unit to push a tower).

I need to get rid of the -1drm for attacking elevated Hexes: the velitae testudo below below P33 is removed (I have to push aside one of the unrallied Cats to make room for it) and 5-8s move forward to put up escalade along the walls. One veteran HI and one roman velitae use these to scale the walls on the sides of P33.

another escalade is put up between S30 and V27 with a 5-8 ready to climb onto the wall at the end of the melee phase.

Lastly, Commander Gallus joins the unit riding the tower against P33 to provide a welcomed +1 drm in the following assault.

The routed catapult is fleeing away from the walls of jerusalem toward the edge of the map (you won't see it on the picture).

Here is the situation at the end of the roman movement phase:

[NOTE:an interesting detail. See how the assault against P33 has been prepared: A roman Velitae has been sent onto the wall to participate in the melee along the Heavy Infantry, while two other Velitaes are waiting on the escalade under the wall. This was done on purpose: In case of success, both the Hi on the wall and the velitae would advance into the bastion leaving the walls unoccupied. At the end of the melee phase the other two roman light infantry would then be able to move onto the wall...See? the end result would be 3 roman velitae on the elevated hexes (1 in the bastion and 2 on the wall) able to shoot inside the city and ready to exploit the next roman fire phase!

More HI on the wall on the other hand, would not change the odd of the melee against the regular in P33.

I have to go for now...

The result of the melee phase next post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
ROMAN MELEE:

-Against P33, the odds are 3:1 with a +1 drm for Gallus. In fact, I cannot miss this one since even if I roll a 1, the B result ensures that I take the bastion.

I roll 5+1=6 and eliminate the lone regular. Both the 7-8 and the Velitae advance from the wall into the bastion.

[NOTE: No regret here for not putting Ben Levi in the bastion since he would certainly have been killed in the continuous combat.

-Against S30 the odds are 2:1 and since there are two units stacked in the bastion I do not expect too much.

I roll a 6 though for a B,E result and a continuous combat! No other solution here than to eliminate the already disrupted regular and retreat the other one using the B result!

The roman veteran HIs advance from the towers and qualify for a multiple attack against Ben Levi and the two disrupted regulars who are just below the staircaises.

Attacking at half strength, the odds are 1:2.

I roll another 6 for a second continuous combat! one of the disrupted regular is eliminated.

Continuous combat: now the odds are 1:1 and I roll a 4. Ben levi decides to retreat with the remaining disrupted regular to a safer place.

The roman decides NOT to advance further into the clear hexes (it's too dangerous and would leave the recently acquired bastion undefended!) which end the combat.

The 5-8s on the wall fail to inflict any casualties to the judean troops inside the two other bastions.

At the end of the Melee Phase, The roman units still on the escalades can advance onto the unoccupied adjacent walls.

Here is the situation at the end of the roman melee phase:

Wow, Two roman bastions by turn 2! and already 4 Regulars in the dead pile.

Some comment next post though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Well, before resuming the game, I just wanted to make some comments about the situation at the end of the Roman second turn:

With already 2 bastions taken, several regulars sent to the dead pile and nearly no casualties taken, the roman had a very strong start! In fact, one of the best I've ever seen playing this scenario.

However, I wanted to point out that this achievement was NOT due to superior roman tactic, but to mere LUCK! The roman consistently rolled high while the judean was stuck with a lot of 1 and 2.

In fact, I'm not really happy with the way I played the roman so far:

First, during turn 1, I should have moved my artillery in a cluster around Cestus Gallus so that all of them could beneficiate from his rlly bonus drm. Instead, I spread them a little and suffered a rout. (I had forgotten how hard it was to rally roman arty under judean fire).

Then, during the second turn, the roman placement after his movement phase was far from optimal. Of course, the success against bastion s30 was quite unexpected, but a wise general should make allowance for the BEST as well as for the WORSE.

In this case, I should have foreseen the remote possibility of taking that bastion and move my units accordingly : SOme of the roman archers won't be able to shoot next FP due to lack of target when I could have placed them in such a way that they could cover both S30 and V27.

I should also have put at least one roman light infantry on the escalade near S30: after the advance after combat (provided I move into the bastion with the 5-8 on the wall) it could have scaled the wall and be able to shoot inside the city!

Of course, 2FP on the wall cannot bring much result BUT the most important effect of roman archers on the wall is to inflict a +1 drm to all judean rally attempts in its LOF! Never forget about that: Every little details count!

To finish, I'm not in the ideal position to fully exploit the roman breakthough in the following movement phase: the roman cohorts are too far from the towers and I should maybe have already disbanded one of the roman testudo since I do not need them any longer to absorb judean fire from the wall (and I won't have a two hexes breach any time soon to exploit them fully).

SO, I could have done much better than that. Keep in mind though that I haven't played the game in over two years and I may be a little rusty.

That's all for now, Judean Turn 2 starts next turn with a MAJOR HEADACHES for the judean defenders (How am I going to plug those holes?)

See you soon,
JC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really interesting read. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
JUDEAN TURN 2:

The next 2 turns will be critical for the defenders of jerusalem! if the god of good fortune doesn't change sides there will be no hope of containing the romans before the arrival of the Ben Giora's faction.

But first I MUST rally ALL my disrupted units:

JUDEAN RALLY PHASE: crossing my fingers, I cast my dice and...

SUCCESS...with the help of Ben Levi all the previously disrupted judean units return to the fight except the lone militia under roman fire. Not too bad, at least I stand a chance....albeit samall!

FIRE PHASE:

The roman goes first though:

ROMAN FIRE PHASE:

-First the ram: With a die roll of 5 I can add 2 more damages to the wall ( gulp, looks like there might be a breach next turn)

Part of the roman fire support has been left without any target after the storming of the second bastion the previous turn:

- The ballista, one catapult and the roman velitaes on the wall can only concentrate 12FP against Bastion M36 : However with a roll of 5 and due to the presence of the judean militia it's enough to disrupt both units there...Good, they won't fire back!

- The remaining light infantry on the wall eliminates the disrupted militia.

-The Onager (out of primary range), the two roman testudoes and a few stacks of roman archers firing from long range are enough to inflict a D result to the defenders of V27. This time, since it can be retreated and replaced by a fresh one, the judean decides to disrupt the cauldron : it is vital to keep as many fresh regulars as possible for the incoming turns!

Still a very good roman FP in view of the limited concentration of firepower available:

JUDEAN RETURN FIRE:

Once again, roman fire was good enough to prevent the judean from massing too much firepower against the units on the wall.

Only one of the roman FHI on the wall gets eliminated once again with a die roll of 6. There aren't many easy targets for the judean regulars due to roman placement of tough mandatory targets!

JUDEAN MOVEMENT PHASE:

OK, here is the situation: After a brutal and furious assault, the roman holds two bastions and should be able to open a breach in the wall during the next FP. He is nearly ready to push inside the city with its fresh cohorts.

The problem is the Judean lacks much needed manpower and WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY RINFORCEMENT BEFORE TURN 4. Beside, most of the units available are still stuck on garrison duty for the next 2 turns, as per the special rules of this scenario!

look at this picture:

This bird-eye view of the area under attack shows all the buit-ups hexes that could be reached by roman units pouring out of the two bastions in a single turn (not taking into account Judean ZOC or the road leading inside the built areas)

The red circles are for the roman Heavy infantry and the blue circles for roman light infantry coming out of the same bastions.

Well, there are just too many of these to try a defence inside the city: There aren't enough units left to the judean to simply fall back to the built-ups and engage in streetfighting!

The only option left is to plug the holes directly at the source by preventing the romans to move out of the bastions and the probable future breach in the wall. But this solution has drawbacks: The judean defenders will have to stand in the clear hexes and suffer heavy casualties under the rain of stones and arrows to come! soblue

Furthermore, The judean must keep enough units in bastions M36 and V27 to prevent the roman from gaining new entrypoints in the new city which would make the defence of the area impossible!

Here is the solution adopted by the Judean after all the disrupted units have been retreated to a safer place:

This is not optimal but is the only available solution to prevent an early roman lodgement inside the city! I just hope to be able to stand for 2 more turns.

[NOTE: I checked again the special rules of this scenario : Nothing seems to prevent the judean player to keep a bastion or fortress with a single cauldron. Using these as Guarrison, I was able to get a few more units down the wall to help with the defence of the breach. However what you can see on the picture is ALL That remains: This is the last line of defence for the next two roman turns gulp

JUDEAN MELEE PHASE:

Once inside the bastions, roman heavy Infantry is extremely hard to dislodge, especially when attacking at half strength through staircaises. Unless rolling lot of 6 there isn't much to expect.

So no surprises here : The judean failed to inflict any casualties and the situation was unchanged.

No need for a picture then.

This ends the second turn.

See you later, JC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools

ROMAN THOUGHTS BEFORE TURN 3: Basically, the roman player has now two options.

ONE: Keep harassing the defenders behind the roman bastions with limited missile fire from the wall and Skirmishes out of the bastions while extending the front either east or west to gain some new entrypoints into the city. This is by far the safest option available and one I would recommend at any other time. However, the roman artillery would have to be moved again to give proper support and the siege towers would have to be displaced once more in order to assault the judean positions properly. All this would certainly take time and the roman should not count on gaining new bastions before turn 4 or 5. By this time though, the judean would be free to move as he wishes and would have received some reinforcements with the arrival of the Ben Giora Faction (Starting on turn 4).

TWO: A frontal assault on the judean last line of defence, using the roman towers as firing platforms over the wall (this would preclude their uses to assault M36 or V27) to concentrate as much firepower as possible, followed by an all out assault from the bastions and maybe the probable breach the following turn. The idea would be to break and kill enough judean to be able to move freely into the city before the arrival of any judean reinforcement. Keep in mind though that assaulting out of the bastions through staircases is extremely difficult even for the roman Heavy infantry. Furthermore it is difficult for the roman to concentrate enough missile fire beyond the walls to ensure enough casualties on the judean regulars and Zealots.

It is also extremely dangerous:Usually, when the roman player assaults such a defensive position and achieves any limited breakthrough into the clear hexes beyond the wall, his front troops ends up decimated by the return fire from the second line of defence.

However, here, there is NO second line of defence and the risks are limited.

The Decision: It will all depends on the result achieved by the ram. If it fails to open a breach in the wall before next movement phase (roll of 1), then I'll go for an extension of the front and use my towers accordingly. Fighting my way out from the bastions alone might be too difficult and if I can't achieve a breakthrough during turn 4 then I'll have to deal with the judean reinforcements anyway.

If on the other hand I can exploit a breach next movement phase, I'll go for the all out assault: With a few fresh cohorts in good order to throw in I might achieve some unexpected results.

ALEA JACTA EST!

See you soon,
and if you have any comments to throw in before I go on playing, feel free to post.

Bye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
ROMAN TURN 3:

RALLY PHASE:

The two roman catapults still refuse to rally. The routed one will exit the map this turn. Nothing else to rally.

FIRE PHASE:

-Judean goes first: Not too bad dice rolls indeed, but the lack of concentrated firepower doesn't bring any results against roman units on the wall or inside the bastions. Even the defenders of V27, who roll a 5+1 drm (cauldron) for a total of 6, fail to break the roman testudo below the bastion, only disrupting the velitae inside the roman formation.

-Roman:

First, the ram: a die roll of 2 is sufficient enough to breach the wall and open a clear LOF for one of the roman catapult and a few stacks of roman archers and slingers. Even using indirect fire and firing trough a tower this looks promising!

Two regulars are eliminated by the fire coming from the newly opened breach (10FP in the clear -2Drm!) but elsewhwere the roman roll quite low for once. Only one other regular disrupted by the fire from the wall, while the fire against the judean held bastions prove fruitless.

Not a bad FP though with the unexpected elimination of two jjudean regulars .

Well, as was decided before, it's now time for an assault from the breach!

Movement Phase next post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
MOVEMENT PHASE:

There is a lot going on, this movement phase, in preparation of the roman assault the next 2 turns and it takes some planning ahead to get everything done properly!

Here are the key elements in no particular order, though in reality it was quite a nightmare to organize:

-Escalades have been removed to make room for the ram and the towers near S30.

-The ram is pushed aside to make room for the assaulting cohort and its fire support: it will be in position to start working on the adjacent wall next turn.

-one HI in S30 removed and replaced by a roman Velitae (next FP has to be decisive), another HI on the wall moved close to V27 to soak fire and prootect the roman archers and also replaced by a roman velitae.

-Roman towers moved to get a clear LOF inside the city over the wall and syrian archers moved on top.

-Second cohort of the XIIth legion enters the breach supported by two stacks of roman feoderati.

-Gallus joins the units inside S30 to participate in the next melee.

-Roman testudo near V27 disbanded and replaced by a fresh one while the disrupted roman Velitae is moved outside regular LOF.

-Arty moved to bear against M36 and J37.

-Another testudo moved under M36 to soak judean fire.

-Rest of roman infantry ready to give support where needed...

PHew! I think that's all.

Here is the end result:

As you can see, most of the roman fire support will be used to shoot inside the city next turn (Who said these siege towers were only good for assaulting judean walls?)

MELEE PHASE:

Well, fighting from a breach or through staircases is never easy, especially without any Prep Fire, so I don't expect too much...

Still, with a roman cohort in good order and Gallus participating in the fight I have 50% chance to get a continuous combat even if the odds are only 1:1...

However with the roll of four consecutive 1, roman melee does not achieve anything this turn.. .

Situation unchanged so no picture.

As the roman I have high expectation for the Next Fire phase though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
JUDEAN TURN 3:

Ok, the roman have been unable to break through this turn, however I might have to pay the price in good judean blood next FP. Already lost two more regulars the previous turn and still no reinforcement in view!

RALLY PHASE: As usual, all the boys rallied, even the lone cauldron...About the only advantage of rolling only 1 .

FIRE PHASE:

As the roman goes first, it's time for a prayer...

ROMAN FIRE:

-The ram roll a 6 for 2 damages to the wall. (I know, some roman units are still on it whistle )

-Then starts the slaughter : With 12 FP firing from behind the breach I get an automatic elimination of the 2 regulars stacked behind, despite the -1 drm for indirect fire.

-With the syrian archers firing from the towers near S30 and the roman velitae on the wall and inside the bastion, I have 10FP in the clear against Ben Gourion and his regulars. I roll a 3 for E,E eliminating two more regulars and leaving the judean leader alone!

-From P33, the wall and the tower I have 7FP against Ben Levi and his escort: a 5 sends two more regulars in the dead pile, here again leaving the judean leader alone...

-From the other side of P33, the lone roman velitae is able to disrupt one of the two zealots.

The rest of the roman fire against the judean bastions is pretty inneffective (with the exception of the roman ballista who disrupts a militia) BUT it doesn't really matter since pretty much all the units behind the roman bastions and breach have been decimated devil

And the few ones still alive should die next roman fire phase if they decide to stay!

Here is the situation at the end of the roman FP:

looks like this game is coming to an end!

Stay tuned : the end of turn 3 and roman turn 4 next posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
Ok, I think I'll go a little fster from now on. The judean defence has been shattered and the situation now seems quite hopeless for the defenders of Jerusalem!

JUDEAN FIRE: Are you kidding? There are only 3 regulars left in the area cry .

So, one roman HI disrupted on the wall and NOTHING ELSE!

MOVEMENT: There are nearly no defenders left behind the roman breach. The roman archers have been able to create a Death Zone around the roman position and it would be suicidal to stay there. The remaining judean units fall back toward the Built-ups hexes while a few sacrificial stacks will try to delay the roman advance one more turn with a net of continuous ZOCs!

JUDEAN MELEE PHASE: You're still kidding, right?

ROMAN TURN 4: 'The roman war machine in action'

RALLY PHASE: The whole roman Artillery is rallied but one of the disrupted unit on the wall routs.

FIRE PHASE:

Judean goes first: Stop kidding please! Nothing of note, the routed HI is killed!

roman fire: Even at long range, roman fire from the wall is still effective enough to disrupt a whole judean stack and negate its ZOC. Fire against the bastions disrupt more units.

MOVEMENT:

At last, time for the real thing. The XIIth legion finally pours inside the city abandonning siege engines and bastions. Several cohorts are reformed....The assault against the last defenders is launched!

MELEE PHASE:

It's a massacre: Ben Gourion and Ben Shimon are killed in the action, Ben Levi escapes alone without his troops. The romans are in the built-ups!

[Did you find the mistake in this picture? No? Well, look carefully and you'll find a whole cohort of roman legionnaries in the built-ups! Of course roman can only stack 2 high in built-ups: I'm new to vassal and I sometimes select a whole stack when I click with the mouse instead of a few units. That's waht happened when I made the advance after combat. I only realized after I took the screeshot. It doesn't matter much here and it was corrected for the following phases!

That's all for today. The end of the game and conclusion next post,
bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jean-christophe coluzzi
Guatemala
flag msg tools
THE END:

After the roman archers finished the survivors of the previous onslaught, a relief column led by Ben Giora finally entered New City from the Yafo gate complex. Alas, it was too late and they could only witness the massacre of their comrades unable to intervene!

Here is the situation at the end of the Judean turn 4:

The XIIth legion continued its advance the following turn, capturing over 15 built-ups without any opposition. There were a few skirmishes here and there but the roman mainly avoided any judean strongpoints. A group of roman Velitae captured another bastion on their own!

The situation at the end of roman turn 5:

Now, whoever has ever played SOJ knows that it takes more than a handful of regulars and a dozen militia to take 5 built-ups from the romans in a single turn!

So, at this point the Judean conceded the game. The revolt of Jerusalem had been crushed early enough to spare the romans a long and costly siege.

Conclusion: with ONLY 3 recruit infantry in the dead pile, for 16 regulars and 2 Zealots, the romans certainly scored a MAJOR victory.
However most of this achievement was due to a lot of luck: the romans consistently rolled high for the first 3 turns of the game wich led to an early breakthrough followed by a quick victory.

without the necessary manpower to keep the romans at bay the defenders were completely overwhelmed: Judean reinforcements started to arrive when the battle was already lost.

I will add some more general comments in my next posts. I hope you enjoyed this game as much as I did playing it!

see you soon,
JC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspiring! Playing SoJ with 3 friends tomorrow; can't wait to after reading this AAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Czempin
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where is the third zealot? What am I missing?

I know you say later that you accidentally deleted one zealot; is it already deleted here? Where was it set up?

The whole map looks as if three zealots had been kept at the south wall, not two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.