flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
COLD WAR
CIA vs KGB vs MI6
(3 Player Variant by Apparatus)

NOTE: You will need a printed copy of the COLD WAR 3 PLAYER VARIANT cards (see below) in order to use this variant.
This rules summary is based upon the player aid by UniversalHead. 3 Player Variant changes are listed in red.

SETUP
Shuffle the Objective deck and Group card deck and place them face down. One player takes the 7 CIA Agent cards, the blue Domination token, the CIA score card and token. One player takes the 7 KGB Agent cards, the red Domination token, the KGB score card and token. One player takes the 7 MI6 Agent cards, the black Domination token, the MI6 score card and token. Each player places their Agent cards face down in front of him in a stack (his headquarters). Determine randomly which player takes the Balance token.

PLAYER TURN
1. BRIEFING

Flip the top card of the Objective deck and place it face up on the deck. After the first turn, the player with the lowest Victory Point (VP) score takes the Balance token (on a tie the player who lost last turn’s Cease Fire turn takes it - if the player who lost the last turn’s Cease Fire isn’t tied for lowest score, that player decides which of the two (2) tied players receive the Balance Token). Shuffle all the Group cards (including last turn’s discards).

2. PLANNING
Each player chooses any of his Agents as his Agent X for the turn, and places it face down in front of his headquarters. Agents sent on leave in the previous turn, or agents who have been terminated or detained, cannot be chosen. Once all three (3) players have chosen their Agent X, agents on leave return to their player’s headquarters.

3. INFLUENCE STRUGGLE
Each player draws group cards, trying to accumulate an Influence point total as close as possible to the objective’s Stability score, without exceeding it. The player with the Balance token decides who goes first. On each player’s turn to act, choose one of the following options:
1. Recruit a group by drawing the top card from the group deck and place it in front of him. A player with no cards must always choose this option.
2. Activate a group by using the power described on one of the group cards already in front of him.
3. Pass and do nothing for the moment.

If, in the rare case, all the group cards have been drawn or discarded, immediately enter the Cease-Fire phase.

Recruiting
A player may never recruit a group (even by a special ability) if it would make him exceed the number of Population icons on the current objective.

Activating
A group on the table in front of a player may be either ready or mobilized (turned sideways). Newly drawn groups always begin the ready state. A card cannot be mobilized again until it is somehow readied again first. Each group that is part of the same Faction (Military, Economic, Media, or Political) has the same power. Both ready and mobilized groups contribute their Influence points to the player’s running score.

Passing
Players usually choose to pass when they think they can win the current objective without any changes to their situation. Once a player passes, he need not pass in future actions in the same Influence Struggle. When all three (3) players pass immediately one after the other, the Influence Struggle ends.

4. CEASE-FIRE
The player with the highest Influence total that does not exceed the objective’s Stability score puts his domination token on the objective.

Ties
If two or more players’ totals are tied, and none exceed the Stability score, the tie is broken by the Bias icons on the objective. Start with the largest (most important) faction icon; the player with the highest value group from that faction wins the tie. Continue down the order of factions until the tie is broken.

Civil Disorder
Any player whose total exceeds the objective’s Stability causes civil disorder. That Agent X’s identity is revealed and he is terminated (removed from the game). If two (2) or more players cause civil disorder, their Agents are terminated. If all three (3) of the players cause civil disorder the objective is placed face down, unclaimed, at the bottom of the objective deck.

5. DEBRIEFING
Each player reveals his Agent X (unless he was terminated). The agendas of the agents are read and applied in Initiative order, from lowest to highest. The effects may vary depending on which player’s domination token was placed on the objective. The effect in the red box is carried out if the KGB player placed his token, the effect in the blue box if the CIA player placed his token, and the effect in the gray box if the MI6 player placed his token.

If 2 or more Double Agents face each other, only the agenda of the one whose domination token was placed fulfills his agenda. If neither of the 2 players that played a Double Agent placed their domination token neither Double Agent’s agenda is performed.

If 2 or more Analysts face each other, only the agenda of the one whose domination token was not placed fulfills his agenda. If neither of the two (2) players that played an Analyst placed their domination token neither Double Agent’s agenda is performed.

When an Ambassador faces an Agent X, the Agent X is detained (removed from the game) in the same manner as an agent that has been terminated. Ambassadors and Assassins are resolved simultaneously.

OPTIONAL AGENT #7: When the Code Breaker is used, the top card of the group deck is used to resolve any and all Code Breakers that have been played.

After the agendas are resolved, if none of the players has claimed the objective, the player who placed their domination token on it takes his token, claims the objective card, and puts it on his scoring pile. He then advances his scoring token on his score card by the card’s listed number of VP.

6. DÉTENTE
Each player’s Agent X goes on leave and is placed face up beside his player’s headquarters (unless he was terminated or the agent is the Deputy Director). The agent cannot be chosen as Agent X next turn. The next game turn begins with the Briefing phase.

EVENT CARD SPECIAL ABILITIES
Each event card has a special ability on it. A player may announce he is using the special ability of an event card in his scoring pile during the appropriate phase; he then resolves its effects as described. If using a special ability causes multiple discards, the player using the ability chooses in which order. After using the special ability, that card’s VP are lost for good. The player discards the card to the objective deck’s discard pile and updates his score card.

WINNING THE GAME
The first player to have 65 VP in the Détente phase is the winner. If more than one player achieves 65 or more points in the same phase, the player with the greatest total wins. If there’s a tie, play additional turns until one player has a higher total during a Détente phase.

Posted with permission of original game designer. Files will be posted once approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played this? And does it just allow third player or change dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
bluef0x wrote:
Have you played this? And does it just allow third player or change dynamic.
Yes, I have played this variant. While my original intention was to just allow a 3rd player, it did change the dynamic a little. For starters, the bias icons come into play far more heavily for ties.

Each round also tends to last a bit longer because, as expected, the two players below the player with the perfect "hand" tend to gang up on them with their group actions. This tends to make the sway change directs a few more times per Influence Struggle than in a 2 player game. This is why I set the 3 player end game score to be 65 in an attempt to keep the game roughly the same length as the original. Of course, you are more than willing to play to 100 but there is the chance (rare) that in a tight game that all the objectives could be claimed without a player surpassing 100 points.

My main goal was to keep the same tension and feel to the game but to allow for a 3rd player as my routine gaming sessions rarely involve 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My remarks about KGB's Code Breaker card here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/564863/?commentid=1254958...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Howie
Australia
flag msg tools
To play this game online (even the 3 player variant created by Apparatus), download "LackeyCCG" and install the "ColdWar" plugin bu clicking on the preferences tab and "install from URL" type in http://coldwarcardgame.webs.com/updatelist.txt

Send me a message and tell me what you think, any advice, feedback (or pats on the back) would be appreciated.

Be great to play against some of you guys too. Let's swap details and play each other. Send me email!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.