Popular Tags: [View All]
R. L. Loughlin
United States
Nevada City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play that the wind (in the high and middle zones) does not effect a Flying Carpet if the Wind Card used to move it (in the Wind zones) does not have a horizontal direction on it?

Our group of 4 played this tonight and everybody but myself interpreted the rules to mean that since the additional wind (from the upper zones) is added at the time the Flying Carpet moves horizontally, and since there is no horizontal movement indicated on the (only) vertical movement Wind Card, the Wind in the upper zones has no effect when that Card is played.

This doesn't seem logical to me in the face of the rule stating that a Flying Carpet in the upper zones will be moved ("carried") by the wind if you do not play either a Wind Card or Direction Tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I see the following in the rules...

Flying Carpet rule book wrote:
Note that you may use the extra Wind Force only when you are making the horizontal part of your move. (pg.12)

So I too interpret this to mean that wind doesn't affect movement on a card with no horizontal component.

Though I guess one could say that the horizontal is "zero" and so the wind does add...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Loughlin
United States
Nevada City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. I have to agree that as the English rules state it, Wind Force does not apply when a Wind Card having only vertical directions on it is played.

What confused me is that this is the case even though if you chose not to play a Wind Card the wind will still move a Carpet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Saunders
Australia
Wollongong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
We always apply the wind effect, as it keeps things consistent. So a card with vertical movement only is treated as horizontal-0 and the wind applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules state:
Quote:
"You do not have to play a card or tile to move. In the Wind Zones you may choose to let your Flying Carpet be carried one or two spaces by the wind. In the calm zone (beige), your playing piece moves down one space per turn if you do not play either a Wind Card or a Direction Tile.

No matter which option you choose, your playing piece may be moved right or left only once and up and down only once, not in steps.

Note that you may use the extra Wind Force only when you are making the horizontal part of your move."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pearson
United Kingdom
Wickford
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is strange.
I assumed it would always take affect.
But if that is the case does the theoretical zero horizontal affect happen before or after the vertical movement?

Also if you start in one wind zone and a vertical card without horizontal movement takes you into a different zone do you apply the wind in the zone before or after the vertical movement.
To work it seems you only add wind to the horizontal movement on the card.

Also if a card moves you right them up and this pushes you into a wind zone you cannot be pushed back by the wind as you cannot zig zag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.