JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sick again this week, with a whole new ailment. Ugh. Going to keep it brief again, and live vicariously through reading all your great posts!

Friday, my wife was sick, we got in one game of Stone Age, in which I beat her 339 to 117. Of course she says it was only because she was sick.

Saturday she was feeling better, and I wasn't sick yet, so we went to visit our friends. We got in quite a few games.
We started off with Red November, in which we died with 25 minutes remaining. Next we played Qwirkle, Ryan won with 139, I had 109, Jamie had 98, and Amanda had 64.
Next we played Dice Town, which was a blast! Amanda won with 40 points, Jamie had 34, I had 28, and Ryan had 20.
After that, we played Lost Cities: The Board Game, which Ryan won by ALOT of points
then we played Guillotine, which Ryan again won, but it was a really fun game.
We then played Wits & Wagers, which we really loved. It was a blast, and we played until we ran out of chips. We finished up the night with No Thanks!, which I really like.

Sunday I took my friend out for Sushi to celebrate his birthday, and planned on modding his Wii, and playing a few board games afterward. But unfortunately, the USB harddrive we picked up for his wii didn't work, so we ended up wasting all our board gaming time on returning that. Then by night time I was full on starting to get sick with whatever my wife had just gotten over. Now today I'm miserable, what an awesome way to start the week!

So, bring to me your tales of gaming past, and mini session reports, as you flock to this thread and answer the question:
What did you play this weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday I played two games with my girlfriend. First, a quick game of Ticket to Ride: Switzerland, which I won barely. Second a longer game of Carcassonne, with the Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: The River expansions, which she won by a landslide.

Sunday I played a lot of games with a friend of mine. First, we played a game of Agricola. It was his first ever play, and he really enjoyed it too, so I'll be playing this more in the near future. Before and after dinner we played two games of Jambo, I won both and we both had a blast, this game keeps getting better with more plays. I'd love to have my own copy, cause I think my girlfriend would love this game as well. We finished with two quick games of Carcassonne, this time without any expansions. I lost both games, but in my defence, I had to adjust playing without the expansion tiles...

All in all, a great weekend, gamewise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Friday I taught a coworker Can't Stop during lunch. Haven't had any gaming at home, as lorddillon has been out of town for over a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just three games of Star Wars: Epic Duels with my son.

In the last game he took Team Anakin and I tried to counter with Team Palpatine but he took out my Royal Guard early and left me to try to defeat Anakin and Padme with only the Emperor. No chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feldaan
United States
Urbana
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty decent gaming weekend for me, managed to get several games in.

Friday night after a delightful 7th Sea game (delightful because for once I wasn't running it and got to be a player), I introduced a couple friends to Carcassonne. They quickly got the hang of things. Too well in fact, as I ended up in last place after one player scored a massive city with a cathedral in it. Ah well, at least they enjoyed it. :D

Saturday night, my normal board game group met up (Myself, my wife, my cousin and his girlfriend) and we played a game of A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game. First play for all of us, fun game and we enjoyed it,but the amount of time it took seemed excessive. Then again it was a first play. My wife came from behind to score a win after myself and my cousin used up all of our "Take that!" cards on each other in our respective villain showdowns.

After that, I introduced my cousin and his girlfriend to my current favorite game, Agricola. Retrospectively I probably shouldn't have done this at 2 a.m, especially to two people who've never played a eurogame. Oh well. :) Besides being intimidated by the amount of choices, both made a valiant effort and had an enjoyable time. I ended up winning by a significant margin though, but I've got several plays of it now under my belt.

Sunday we went out and about checking out a couple flea markets and the Ikea store down near Cincinatti. The wife and I are going to be redoing a room in our house, turning it from a computer room into a boardgame room, so we're on the lookout for shelves. We had several picked out, and everyone of them ended up being out of stock. Doh! :cry:

That evening I introduced my mother to Carcassonne, she had seen my wife and I playing before and then expressed interest in it. I started her off with just the base game, no expansions. She picked it up just fine and besides not really understanding farmers, managed a respectable showing and only lost by 15 points. She already asked me on the phone this morning if we can play again sometime, she wants to try the river expansion. :D

So, all in all a good weekend of gaming. Hopefully next weekend we'll be able to get even more in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught vanilla Carcassonne to to different couples.

The first picked it up quickly and asked for more games. Usually with beginners, farmers are the way to win-- not so with these folks. They ruthlessly mangled the city layout to put the hurt on anyone going for farmers. The ugliest cities I've ever laid out.... They asked to play two more times after the first game.

The second couple asked more questions as we played and they really wanted me to tell them the best moves. They took a long time to play their turns as they fretted over their moves. I try to tell people like that that they won't really understand how to formulate a good strategy until they've played through a couple of times and get a feel for what tiles are in the game. I only had time for one game with them, so I don't know how things would have gone with more repetitions.

The first couple knew someone that had played Cataan with them... and the second couple was pretty mystified that nifty board games exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night is our usual game night. We started with 5 players, and Modern Art. After that we needed a filler before our 6th arrived, so pulled out 6 nimmt!. Then we split into two tables, with my table introducing one of the new gamers to Stone Age, while the other table played Vegas Showdown. We then switched people around between tables, and my table played my favourite deduction game, Black Vienna, while the other table played The Downfall of Pompeii. By then it was getting late, so we all joined together for some of end of evening fare - starting with our new purchase of Zaubercocktail, and then finishing with a hand of Take it Easy!.

Saturday we didn't play any games, being too tired in the evening, but on Sunday the children were both so tired after their day out that they both had a nap when we got back in the afternoon, so we took the opportunity to do a Harry Potter Trading Card Game draft before waking them up. Later when they'd gone to bed we got a few more games in - starting with Diamonds Club, which turns out to work very well with 2, but be rather quick; and followed by Yahtzee (or rather Yacht, which has two extra lines on the scorepad - one pair and two pairs!). We then finished with a game of Black Box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big gaming weekend for me. I took Friday off and played Tales of the Arabian Nights with my wife. On Saturday I gamed from 10:00 AM until 9:00 PM at Eastern PA Gaming Society. I played: Traders of Osaka, Tribune: Primus Inter Pares, Citadels, Sylla and Saint Petersburg. Sunday I played Loopin' Louie and Unnamed Object with my wife and son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game of Settlers with my wife and her sister, I won. On sunday my wife and I played Bohnanza, she beat me again. Agghh!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not really Ryan Leaf
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Friday:
Race for the Galaxy x2.

Saturday:
Race for the Galaxy x5.
Agricola x1.
Age of Steam x2.

Sunday:
Agricola x1.
Age of Steam x2.

This was the most gaming I've done in a long time. The RftG games were against the computer AI, so they were all pretty quick.

My wife and I were learning AoS this weekend, and she had an emotional rollercoaster of feelings toward it:
1) she loved it after the first 2 plays
2) she hated it in the middle of the 3rd play (almost went bankrupt)
3) she moderately liked it (she came back from the brink of bankruptcy to beat me in that game) but hated the anxiety it caused
4) she disliked the competition and blocking over the routes in the 4th game
5) she decided that she moderately likes the game, but doesnt like other aspects of it.

It's a bummer too b/c she loved it so much after the first few plays. She won the first and third game but lost the 2nd and 4th others... but I intentionally played with some mistakes to keep the games closer so she would enjoy it more (hey, quit giving me the evil eye. you would too if you were in my shoes!). I think the game is just too tense for her... but that's why i love it.

And, she beat me both times in Agricola.... as usual. I think her win rate is over 80% - she's just really good at the game. In the first game, I had an amazing clay engine running. Every time I took clay, I got an additional 3 (and later 4) clay (I forget which cards I had). I also got my highest card and bonus point total ever in one game: 12 (had a total of 51). She still won, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering was up on Friday because I was brain dead from the work week...nothing on Saturday Sunday was Pandemic with my 13 year old and wife and then Pecking Order with the wife afterwards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Axis & Allies-Day on Sunday. From an earlier session when it first came out, I remember it being quite hard for the Allies to win, so I took them for the challenge and ended up routing my German opponent to the point where he said he'd never play it again. (Apparently, taking a city and then placing 4 fighters in it is an "unbeatable" and "broken" strategy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I flew home to Michigan to visit my family (Blott and company), with the subtext that we would play a lot of games, and we did! 12 different games, 16 plays, loads of fun.

I chronicled it all in another epic geeklist.

In short I'll say my favorites of the weekend were the classics - Vegas Showdown and Rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Games Marathon Library
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fortunate to attend the monthly Dallas Games Marathon and I got to play:
Dominion
Small World
Munchkin Quest
Snow Tails
Le Havre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
I don't even remember what I did on Friday, but it did not involve gaming.

Saturday, my D&D game got cancelled so we played a pair of games of Tales of the Arabian Nights (four player andd five player). Based on them, I think the game works better with lower player counts, but it was still fun.

Sunday I had Brian and Will over for some board gaming. We started with a three player game of Le Havre which I won in part thanks to some Brick Manufacturer abuse. I got it early and was able to turn a small amount of cash into a very large amount of cash by the end of the game. My use of it delayed the construction of quite a few of the late games so it resulted in everyone having slightly lower scores, but I still won.

After that I was able to convince Minerva to join us for a game of Container. She enjoyed it, even though she tended to bid a little bit too high for lots. I still think I tend to underbid for container lots, and I ended up coming in second by about $30 (180-150)

Minerva dropped out after that because she had other things to do, so we played a three player game of Brass. It was incredibly tight and I ended up barely winning by two points.

We finished up the night with two games of Ra. I got beaten pretty badly in scoring during the first couple of rounds, and wasn't able to earn enough to catch up. In the second game, no one earned many points early, and I ended up going into the final round with 0 points. However, I was able to get enough points from mounuments and pushing my luck in drawing tiles that I was able to edge everyone out for a victory.

Fun fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cara Robinson
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Just one game of 1960 on Sunday. My hubby won with Kennedy. He always wins this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wilson
United States
Lawrenceville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoyed some games over the rainy weekend in Atlanta. First up was Talisman, which she won by defeating me at the Crown of Command (I beat her there by about 5 turns, but her Combat skill was 11 to my 9 and I couldn't roll anything but a 2 for the first four times we fought). Sadly, my Dwarf's Runesword never even tasted her Prophetess' blood. Pity.

We followed that up with Stone Age. I was worried since I'd beaten her pretty handily the first two times we'd played it together, but she showed she'd learned quickly, forcing me to play more conservatively and ending up winning by a 20 point or so margin. Naturally I asked for a rematch, and the second game I ended sooner than I meant to but did end up winning by a single point. I'm very glad she's caught on to the game as quickly as she has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming drought finally came to an end. Unfortunately, with a reverse cliche, spouse-friendly game. shake

Played a game of Lost Cities with my husband yesterday. I beat him in round 1, edged him out in round 2, and crushed him in round 3.

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Saturday: Puerto Rico (two times);
Ghost Stories (once);
Kamisado (three times)

Sunday: Pillars of the Earth (once);
Warrior Knights (twice);
Sace Hulk (twice)

Solo: Space Alert; Arkham Horror; Tsuro; S.P.Q.R (continued).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of our gaming group had commitments over the weekend, but we managed to fit in two short games:

Roll Through the Ages
Naval Battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great gaming weekend for me. Played Carcassone a couple of times w/ my lovely wife and got my butt handed to me. It was not even close. She's scary good at that game. Saturday night had dinner w/ some friends and introduced them to the awesome Ticket to Ride. It was a hit. They loved it and so did their 8 yr old son who beat us all by 10 points using the longest route. Kudos to him. Sunday played TTR again w/ another couple and guess what... they loved it! They're sold. They want to play again next weekend. Good times, good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
got in some Space Hulk (third edition) and Red November in on the weekend.

Won my Space Hulk game as marines which was fun...Genestealers have a lot more strategy. Red Novemeber we were doing quite well but got most of the "respite" cards early and ended up being pummled in the end (20 min mark) when we got locked in the engine room while there was a missle coundown with the missle room on fire....all in all a fund weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Escape from Atlantis (or "The Water Game" as my 4 year old calls it) and Pirate's Cove on Saturday with my kids in honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Of course this was after a hearty breakfast of Cap'n Crunch French Toast. Arrr. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giro Galoppo - We just received this via a trade. Pretty decent race game that my kids enjoyed.

PitchCar - This was the first time I've played with a lot of racers. It is much more fun with a full track. I played with my two kids and three of the neighbor kids for a total of 6 players.

Loopin' Louie - We busted this out after Pitchcar and played 4 games.

Fast Flowing Forest Fellers - My wife and I love this game! We played a 5 board track and I just eeked out the victory. I think it was my first win!

Archaeology: The Card Game - The wife and I played twice. She won the first game 94 to 84 and I killed her in the second game by getting all 4 masks, 145 to 74.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday was a gaming night with 3 of my friends. First up was Space Hulk (1st Edition) and two squads of marines got oblierated by the Genestealers. Next out came a first run-through of Battlestar Galactica which proved very popular ( especialy for the Cylon player as BG ran out of population and food). By this time it was heading for 2a.m and 2 lightweights left leaving the other 2 of us to hit Memoir '44. Sadly my Wermacht was pummeled twice by the Allies.

However all was redemed on Sunday afternoon as I fought valiently with my Flames of War Geman army (hangover included) to smash the Red Scourge out of a town in Byelorussia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.