Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Oakland
Australia
Inman Valley
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)In the rules it says if there are more army figures than spaces in the starting zone, you can't use the extra figures. I then thought,surely this does not include the airborne elite? Yet in the advanced pdf it says that also includes figures that don't start on the board. I don't understand why.

2)If you make up your own scenarios, how do you figure out how many spaces for the players' starting zones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of having designated starting zones that are a specific size is to limit the number of characters that a player can begin the game with. It works much like limiting each player to only having 500 (or some other value) points worth of characters. The limited start zone keeps you from drafting tons of cheap, common squads (like Grut Orcs) and swamping your opponent. For this reason, the Airborne Elite count as part of your army when you fill your starting zone.

In "normal" Heroscape starting zone is 24 hexes (this is what is used at most tournaments). If you are making your own map or scenario, you can make the starting zone any size you want. If you have a large map that you intend to have large armies battle over, then make bigger starting zones. If its a really small map, maybe make the zone smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, start zone size really depends on the kind of game you're going for. The biggest factors in affecting game time are map size and startzone size. Notice I didn't mention points total. It has been my experience (and that of many others, including tournament organizers) that the number of figures on the board, and the amount of distance they have to travel to meet eachother are the key factors. Points will have a small effect but not much in comparison.
Also startzone size affects the feel of the game and the types of armies you want to field or see fielded on this map.
As an example I like to play 800+ point armies on a 12 hex startzone with a small map (usually with a lot of hieght and extreme height) when we play mixed Classic and Marvel. This results in a real Marvel Heroes feel and promotes the use of Marvel heroes as well as some of the other big point heroes and expensive squads. Coincidentally it seems to result in armies that fit better in the Marvel universe and not just because of player choices but because of the points assigned to these cards.
We also like to play epic games on huge (dining room table sized) maps with 1200+ points and 60+ startzone spaces. In fact in these games we usually say that if you need more room in your startzone just add it to the back. We usually field a lot of cheap common squads along with expensive cheerleeders like Taelord (who doesn't cost too much in this type of scenario) and Harimato Toro (sp?).
It really depends on your wants/needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Oakland
Australia
Inman Valley
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that all that info, very interesting. The idea of huge HeroScape boards is highly appealing.I bought a large table, 8ft by 3ft, at an auction the other day for a couple of bucks, and have been wondering what to do with it. It's too cheap looking for a dining room table, says the missus, and too good for in the shed. Now I know. I always wanted to do a diorama with my daughters. A HeroScape one will scratch that itch quite nicely. Now all I have to do is play a few more games to make sure my daughters are suitably addicted to HeroScape and then acquire a few more expansions to increase the terrain - delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
WillT wrote:
The purpose of having designated starting zones that are a specific size is to limit the number of characters that a player can begin the game with. It works much like limiting each player to only having 500 (or some other value) points worth of characters. The limited start zone keeps you from drafting tons of cheap, common squads (like Grut Orcs) and swamping your opponent. For this reason, the Airborne Elite count as part of your army when you fill your starting zone.

In "normal" Heroscape starting zone is 24 hexes (this is what is used at most tournaments). If you are making your own map or scenario, you can make the starting zone any size you want. If you have a large map that you intend to have large armies battle over, then make bigger starting zones. If its a really small map, maybe make the zone smaller.

The above, exactly. Also, in a tournament, any excess figures in your army that don't fit on the start zone start out dead. Not a good plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.