Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of games of solo Space Alert today, curious to see how it played. For those unaware of the solo rules, basically you get the entire deck in your hand, but have to plan the actions for four "androids". There really isn't enough time to do everything!

I discovered that the time pressure was terrifying, with often one of the androids just standing there for a phase because I forgot to assign it any actions before time ran out. Then there'd be the android which went downstairs to get the battlebots, but got distracted by the announcement of new threats, and would never actually get the bots but would then wander about as if it had them!

No, solo Space Alert isn't for the faint-hearted. Being able to process everything is extremely tricky.

For me, I don't think it's worth the effort, frankly. Space Alert works best as a social game (as it notes in the rules). Just planning out all the actions is rather dry, despite everything. It doesn't give me the same sort of satisfaction that the events in Arkham Horror give me. And, of course, I can't blame my mistakes on anyone else!

Love Space Alert with four players (and likely five). Solo? I'll try something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

It is true that SA plays much better with 4 players, but I have played it solo more often and found it rather fun.

Ofcourse, there are lot of actions you have to take and in quick time as you absorb the chaotic mrssages coming at you at an alarming rate. This is not for the faint-hearted, I agree. Be cool , calm and collected and as you gain experience when handling emergencies , you will find a very enjoyable, atmospheric game underneath the panic

Personally. I would rate it 8/10 with four players and 6/10 as a solo.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree with the terrifying time pressure of the solo game. I actually find it slightly easier then the 4 player game as I don't need to coordinate between players and I have no shortage on cards to do certain tasks. Of course the first one or two plays will be intimidating, but then it really isn't that hard anymore IMHO. Also largely improved my group play IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
kilrah wrote:
Disagree with the terrifying time pressure of the solo game. I actually find it slightly easier then the 4 player game as I don't need to coordinate between players and I have no shortage on cards to do certain tasks. Of course the first one or two plays will be intimidating, but then it really isn't that hard anymore IMHO. Also largely improved my group play IMHO.

As the masochist said to the sadist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.