Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the weekend, I got exposed.... to a new game.

A little background: I had heard about Pandemic from reading some reviews on BGG and the buzz it was making (good reviews). A friend of mine in my gaming group finally broke down and got it - as if we don't have enough games that we play already... Unfortunately I missed some earlier games, so I was the newbie to the game we played this weekend.

First Impressions: After the board and bits were taken out and placed on the table, I was pretty impressed. Not too many components to keep track of, colorful, and I liked the artwork. My friend started going over the rules, and I had braced myself for a long, arduous explanation, but it wasn't too bad (compared to let's stay Battlestar or a Caylus type game).

Gameplay: It took a little while to get used to the "actions" one could take on their turn, but I got the hang of it fairly fast. Really helps that it is a co-op game so we discussed what we all needed to do. I was the character that had the special ability to build research stations. That was mostly my task for the game.

Bits: I really enjoyed the virus pieces for some reason. I think it was a nostalgic throwback to the original Nintendo's Dr. Mario - or that's what I would like to think they were going for.... The cards were well made and I liked how real cities were used so it does give a bit of a geography wake up jog in the brain during some of the rounds.

Overall: The game took about 45min to play (probably because I was asking questions and wanting to get the hang of the strategy of the game). Maybe would have taken about 30min had I not been the new person.

I really like this game - we were almost overcome by outbreaks early on, but then we spread out and gained control of different regions. Then the draw stack was running low, but we pulled out a victory.

Very quick, fairly enjoyable, common goal, and the rules are pretty simple and clear-cut (no room for arguments and bickering). It might be different with diverse players, so I will give this game a pretty high:
8.9/10 for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has become my and my wife's new favorite game. We have yet to pull out a win, but we keep getting so tantilizingly close that it sucks us in and we immediately start another game to try again.

That fact that the game plays so quickly allows you to get in three or four plays in an evening, which is a big plus when you can't play very often.

Glad to hear you won, and that you like the game as much as we do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne O Connor
Ireland
sligo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im a recent convert to pandemic too. its a really ace game and i also would easily put it in my list of games that are great for non-gamers and easily explained and learned. And the short play time is great too, we recently managed a nice evening with a variety of games of this length to play and when u only can meet once a week thats great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.