5 Posts

Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shield Generator (Bomber) Card Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Walter
msg tools
Shield Generator (Bomber)

Play after an opponent declares and invasion against you.

Add one to your defense dice untill you lose all troops committed
to an individual battle.

I am confused about the mechanics of how this card works. I may also be confused about the mechanics of "battling". My understanding is that each dice roll is considered a "Battle". Is this card only good for one roll? Or, if have more than 2 defenders, is this card actually good for the entire invasion?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the cards say "committed to an individual battle" and not "committed to this individual battle", then I play that the card is good until you lose all your units in the same battle/roll. This would normally mean losing two units with the same roll, but it could also mean losing only one unit if he is your last defender.

It is interesting to note that even though you play this card AFTER an invasion is declared, the card does not specify that the dice are only affected for THIS invasion. So if the attacker fails his first invasion against you, this card could still potentially be used against his second invasion as well. In fact, if you have never lost all your troops committed to a battle, this card might still be good if the NEXT player attacks you as well. I have never seen this case come up, but it is interesting to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walter
msg tools
Thanks,

That makes sense.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walter
msg tools
I think the Card is intended to be used for the invasion declared only, but that is an interesting interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the terms Invasion and Battle are defined on page 8 of the rules. A Battle is defined as one roll of the dice, and an Invasion is the set of all Battles against one planet in one turn.

If you play the card, you use it in the first Battle. If you win with at least one die in that Battle, you can use it again in the next. Once you fight a Battle where all dice you roll lose, you lose the use of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.