Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally, I hate "brute strength" superheros. Sure, you can get some character development there, but IMO not consistently. This means I really don't care for characters such as Superman and the Hulk. Also, super sappy characters annoy me. This means people like Spiderman are out, too.

The characters I enjoy reading are those such as Batman and Nightcrawler. Compelling backstory, room for character development, etc. So why aren't there any female characters worth reading? I suppose some might be okay, but they don't get the good authors.

Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a superhero comic, but a fantasy novel trilogy: take a look at "Mistborn" by Brandon Sanderson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought female super-heroes were meant to be looked at, not read...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Amy needs a hero! How about the cutie that plays the drums and sings the backing vocals in this song?

All those flame throwers make her a hottie, eh? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Amy needs a hero! How about the cutie that plays the drums and sings the backing vocals in this song?

All those flame throwers make her a hottie, eh? whistle

Have you ever seen Skillet in concert? They are AWESOME! Much harder rock than any of their recordings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Promethea - Alan Moore goodness

Non superhero comic genre, Strangers in Paradise (series was awesome then got a bit dull toward the end but the early books are grade A, if you never read it. Terry Moore has a new series called "Echo" which I have but haven't read blush

Kabuki by David Mack is pretty interesting - beautiful art.

Powers by BMB has strong female roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
You get a thumb and huge street cred from me for liking Nightcrawler! He is awesome, it was too bad they didn't do more with him in the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you talking bout?....Strong, Amazon, Invisible Jet and cool bracelets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:

Yeah. Just like the fact that girls don't play video games, AmeriTrash board games, or collectible card games, girls don't read comics. At least that's what the publishes, authors, artists, and game designers think.

I meant to address that in the OP. No one thought females read comics. Then when Sandman came out, it appears readership was about 50/50. And that was what, 20 years ago? And apparently they still haven't figured it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
Have you ever seen Skillet in concert? They are AWESOME! Much harder rock than any of their recordings.

Several times and, yes, the live show is awesome. I got to meet with John and Korey Cooper at Rock the Universe a couple years ago and they were very personable and generous with their time. They seemed a bit surprised to find a fan older than them, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cassandra Cain version of Batgirl was fantastic, but she's gone now. I really enjoyed Peter David's run on Supergirl too, again long since canned and forgotten. Harley Quinn's series started out strong and original, but it got really weird really fast and, of course, got canned. Birds of Prey varied from average to pretty good, again cancelled.

The trend seems to be these titles don't usually live too long. Even Wonder Woman struggles in sales at times. It's sad really, there are some great female characters out there that could easily carry a book on their own. Trades are your friend. I can also suggest Spider-Girl, but she's one a lot of people don't seem to like much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

[IMG]Wonder Woman jpg[/IMG]

See above: "brute strength".

And thanks for all the recommendations so far. I've not read any of them! surprise So that's got to change. Jeff's got Promethea, but I've not read it yet. But I can't help but notice that several times, the words "not super-hero" appears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More non-comic fantasy suggestions.

I've just finished reading the 2nd book in the Earthsea Cycle by Ursula LeGuin - The Tombs of Atuan The protagonist is female and the whole story is really about her, her life, struggles, etc. and how she makes choices about her life. This could be read as a stand-alone book and is VERY good. It also is a Newberry Honor book (no surprise!)

Lavinia - I also cannot say enough about this latest book by LeGuin which also features a female protagonist. Fascinating, engaging, absorbing, and just beautifully written.

Good luck!!
kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it impossible to read a female?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

And thanks for all the recommendations so far. I've not read any of them! surprise So that's got to change. Jeff's got Promethea, but I've not read it yet. But I can't help but notice that several times, the words "not super-hero" appears.

There really aren't any dark, deep, and brooding women superheroes. Sounds like an ideal work for our resident writer Toggy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets do a mix...

++++=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:

And agent provocateur agrees with you whistle

I liked the girls on Runaways before Buffy-man took the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
goo The obvious choice would seem to be the short-lived Sensational She-Hulk. And Gaiman's Death is one of the greatest female characters of recent years. A fave from the Golden Age is Black Canary. And for dark and broody, try Marvel's Black Widow (though she most often appeared in Daredevil)...not sure if she ever had her own title. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
goo The obvious choice would seem to be the short-lived Sensational She-Hulk. And Gaiman's Death is one of the greatest female characters of recent years. A fave from the Golden Age is Black Canary. And for dark and broody, try Marvel's Black Widow (though she most often appeared in Daredevil)...not sure if she ever had her own title. goo

You're saying that She-Hulk isn't a brute-strength character? I mean, I honestly don't know, since I assumed she was just like the Hulk. And Death -- not super-hero! She's Death!

Perhaps I should read a little more Black Canary, though, and I'm not familiar with Black Widow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Alias, by Brian Bendis.

The hero has the brute strength, but she goes far out of her way to avoid using it. This has some similar themes to Powers which was mentioned earlier...ex-heroes doing their best to build a productive but mundane life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the graphic novel serieses have lots of heroes worth reading about, female and male. I might suggest Watchmen (although most of the characters are male), and the more recent Powers, and the graphic novelization of Heroes. They're all much more about plot and character development, and much less about breasts and explosions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

[IMG]Wonder Woman jpg[/IMG]

Amy, I really have to disagree with you about Wonderwoman. She's not about brute strength even though she does have strength rivaling if not surpassing Hercules. Read her backstory and the development of her character from it's inception to modern day... she was designed to be the super heroine balance to the mystery men heroes of the past. Her original outfit was so... housemum all she was missing were the pearls.

Mary Jane and Aunt May from Spiderman are great female reps... no superpowers (unless you like the what if when aunt may became a herald for galactus)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't really care for Watchman. I mean, it was okay, just not outstanding (realize I read it this year, not back when it was originally published).

Mike, do you have some trade paperback recommendations for Wonderwoman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
When I collected and read floppies regularly, I largely concentrated on female heroes. After reading about dudes beating each other up all my life, I found that the stories that were being told of the distaff sex were more interesting... I was a Supergirl completist, and collected hundreds of her appearances. Then one day, I bought Action Comics #252--her first appearance--and it knocked the wind out of me. It just wasn't as fun finding the rest, after getting my grail comic. There's a lesson in there, somewhere...

Anyway, while Supergirl and She-Hulk are brute strength, their comics was a lot of fun. Don't discount Wonder Woman, either! The Perez reboot after the first Crisis is required reading! Promethea was OK, but gets way too bogged down in Moore's sex magick BS.

Some that haven't been mentioned:

Ghost; I only read the first few years, and there's a lot of cheesecake, but it was interesting and cool.

Legion of Super Heroes has chicks, and they rock. Again, I was readin' the late-nineties stuff, and it was dope.

Another ensemble book with strong gals that I'll always take a chance to big up is the Defenders. THE DEFENDERS, PEOPLE!

Going back further, you might want to check out Cloak & Dagger's early stuff, and Dazzler, too. Yeah, Dazzler's got a rep for corn, since she's a disco heroine, but there's some cool stuff in there.

Lastly, I'll highly recommend two of my favorite Silver Age comics: Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane, and Superman Family. These comics are CRAZY! Yeah, so LL's not a superhero as a rule, but she ends up with powers a lot in these books! Imaginary stories, power mix-ups, super-babies... Comics get no funner.

Huh, "funner" isn't tagged as a misspelling by Firefox. Weird. Takes some of the fun out of using the word...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
I meant to address that in the OP. No one thought females read comics. Then when Sandman came out, it appears readership was about 50/50. And that was what, 20 years ago? And apparently they still haven't figured it out.

Yeah but Sandman sucked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.