True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan has only been posting in RSP for about 2 months but has it has been a very prolific two months! I thought it would be nice to get to know the man behind all the posts.

So, Dan, tell us a little about yourself. Who are you? What's your background? What do you do?

Also, what's your background with religion? I've seen hints here and there but would like to see the whole story.

Anyway, congratulations and thank you for agreeing to do this! The questions will get a lot harder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you stick to hot Battlestar characters for your avatars?

What RSP opinion do you hold that you think might surprise us?

When quozl asked you to do this, did he use poetry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
When quozl asked you to do this, did he use poetry?

What goes on in the private messages between me and Dan are our business. Not yours or the government's!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you wind up in Smyrna?

Were you there when Nissan arrived? Any big before/after differences?

What games did you play growing up? Any sports? What were you like in HS? College?

What do you play now? Where do you usually play? Go to any cons? How far would you travel for an evening gaming session? a full day? a weekend?

Married? Plan/hope to be? Do you want to have kids?

Do you speak any other languages? Any that you'd like to learn?

Do you consider yourself a liberal? Did being unemployed push you to the left at all? How did you arrive at being a liberal (or moderate)?

Why do you think everyone should pay for everyone else's health care?

Thanks for the answers and enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
1.) How old are you?
2.) Do you like Math?
3.) How old do you think the Earth is (just saving Marshall the trouble)?
4.) Do you like Star Trek? Whats your favorite flavor?
5.) You obviously like cats, what about dogs? Michael Vick?
6.) I've noticed that you've grown less confrontational over time. Am I right, wrong or delusional?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. Good god why the cat?

2. Do you think any of the major conspiracy theories floating around on the internet have any grain of truth to them?

3. You can choose to have one of the following superpowers starting with t: telekinesis, telepathy or teleportation. Which one and why?

4. You can exile 3 people to a deserted island where they will live out the rest of their days making sandcastles. Who do you pick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever kissed a guy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Warcholak wrote:
Favorite Seagal movie?

Favorite Arnold movie?

Favorite Van Damme movie?

What a great set of questions -- should be asked of every RSP'er of the next several days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Cavedog_pdx wrote:
Have you ever kissed a guy?

Quozl obviously has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
DCAnderson wrote:
Anyway, she is still trying to pay her medical bills, and pretty much has to pay for it all out of pocket since her medical insurance decided that paying for this is the responsibility of the auto insurance, and the auto insurance thinks it is the responsibility of the medical insurance, and so neither of them are paying for anything and she has to pay for it herself.

Many people have both auto and medical insurance. The idea that having both means neither company has to pay is outrageous. She needs a lawyer. BTW, the auto insurance should pay first since paying for it is required by law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you consider Smyrna to be a Nissan town? (Lots of people depend directly or indirectly on them for a living?) My whole knowledge of Smyrna was from driving by on the freeway between Nashville and Chattanooga and most of what was visible was Nissan. I guess I am just wondering what else is there.

Do you enjoy the concept of weather? (as opposed to southern Fla?)

It sounds like your family wasn't so much into gaming or am I misreading? What did they think of M;tG? Other than L5R did you play many CCG's? Any that you particularly liked?

What did/do your parents do for a living?

Why community college and not finish? Financial, lack of interest or some combination?

Do you read much? What are your favorite authors? Library or book store?

You mentioned being too cool for sports in HS. This is different from my experiences, the jocks tended to be the cool kids (and it seems to be true in my kids' HS, too) . What were the major groups in your HS? How large was it?

I guess the health care question can be generalize and lumped with the why liberal section. You came from Democratic stock and stayed there, but mentioned that you've reconsidered things. With which liberal mainstays do you not completely agree? Upon what major rational/ethical bases do you see your liberalism resting?

If you had to pick only one game to play for a year, what would it be? If the list expanded to five or ten, which ones would be added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
My lack of belief was also nurtured by a really good teacher in Junior College I had when I took a class on ethics. I was fascinated by the things I learned in there, and how right and wrong can be traced back to a logical source, and that things are not wrong "just because". To this day I still think back to this class when considering whether something is good or bad. I highly reccomend everyone take a class on ethics at least once in their life.

This is why I often am completely flabergasted when people talk about morality having a divine source, when finding right and wrong can come from a model which works just fine without God's presence.

Do you think there is a way to separate logic from our own biases? What about biases we don't even know we have? Would those not matter? What about a situation where two people acting entirely logical who come to opposite positions, or two people who do the logically correct thing yet both people end up making themselves/others suffer (I don't know if you've read many Greek plays, but this is a major theme in at least the Oresteia)?

Also, if you are interested in logic I have to ask how much Ancient Greek stuff you've read related to logic/morality and what you think of it? Not just Plato, but secular thinkers or the Skeptics?

The big thrust of this question is also utilitarian for me, because I think you have a sharp mind and we have similar methods of arguing, though our base assumptions differ. I am really curious to see how your beliefs are formed, something we have often touched upon in our arguments, though that conversation usually gets bogged down in the muck of whatever we're discussing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
Nick Warcholak wrote:
Favorite Seagal movie?

Favorite Arnold movie?

Favorite Van Damme movie?

My favorite Arnold movie is unequivocaly Terminator 2.

The other two I honestly have not watched all that much of, so I can not say anything stands out to me.

I guess well have to help you with that.

Your favorite Seagal movie is Under Siege: When some terrorist try to take over the USS Missouri, they take everything into account... except the ship's cook, played by Seagal. It's a tour de force in manliness and nonsense.

From VanDamme, my wife tells me that your favorite is Bloodsport: As a child, a miscreant Frank Dux was taken in and trained by a champion martial artist, who went so far as to adopt Frank into his family after the premature death of his own son. Now, decades later, Frank is a skilled martial artist himself and a solider in the U.S. Military. Upon the death of his surrogate father and sensei, Frank is informed of a mysterious, no-holds barred, highly illegal martial arts tournament in Hong Kong known only as the "kumite." At the bidding of his sensei and against direct orders from his military superiors Frank travels to Hong Kong to participate and uphold his master's honor.

There, you can thank me later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And your favorite Arnold movie is Total Recall. You just didn't remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Do you agree that Die Hard is the greatest action movie ever? If not, how do you account for the fact that every good non-Die Hard action movie can be accurately described as "Die Hard X," where X equals "on a boat," "on a plane," etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
Do you agree that Die Hard is the greatest action movie ever? If not, how do you account for the fact that every good non-Die Hard action movie can be accurately described as "Die Hard X," where X equals "on a boat," "on a plane," etc.?

Total Recall is Die Hard on Mars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats Dan,
here is a few quick ones:

What are the appropriate boundaries you see for religion in public life ?

What are the appropriate boundaries for the impact the decisions of majority should have on the life of a private individual ?

What would it take for you to take up arms against another country ?

Against your own government ?

What would it take for you to "cut out" a child, sibling or a close relative ?

What is a boundary of (her) mental states beyond which you would not accept consent for sex with a girl ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

Quote:
Do you read much? What are your favorite authors? Library or book store?

I probably do not read nearly enough. The most recent things I read which I enjoyed were the "Dexter" books by Jeff Linsay. It is hard to pick a favorite author, but it would probably be a toss up between Alan Moore and Isaac Asimov.

Why does Watchmen get so much attention, when clearly From Hell is the best thing Alan Moore ever wrote?

Why is Skeptic's Guide to the Universe the best online podcast?

Should skeptical movements stop addressing things like poltergeists and aliens in order to focus on potentially harmful issues like the anti-vaccination crowd?

Why is 4th edition so homogenized and watered down, while 3rd edition is options overload, particularly for spellcasters of moderate level? Is Pathfinder a happy medium?

Why so much hate for Warhammer 3rd edition? FFG cash cow or brilliant RPG innovation?

Are my questions leading, or perhaps containing implicit assumptions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

What RSP opinion do you hold that you think might surprise us?

I don't know, I think I have shared most of them.

I enjoy having women bite me. Is that enough "S" for you?

Hardly.

Lightly or hard? Where?

Same questions but using nails instead of teeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm glad somebody of my age got chosen. Congrats!

Quick questions:

1. What do you think of nationalism? Do you have positive or negative feelings regarding somebody self-described as "a patriot"?
2. Music. Brief overview.
3. If there was a viable third candidate to President of the US, would you prefer it to out-left the Dems or to out-right the Reps?
4. If you had to live abroad, where would that be?
5. Are you interested in wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:

Interestign fact for you about british high schools.

none of those cliques exist at all.

A large part of it is the sports in schools just don't matter - sure there are teams, and people play, but nobody watches. The concept of the high school jock literally does not exist in the Uk. Nor do university-level college sports. instead, schools are places where people go to learn stuff! yeah - universities have sports clubs and sports teams, but those teams don't matetr to anyone who doesn't play in them.

School uniforms help to eradicate cliques too - I'm a strong suppiorted of them. there are cool kids, and uncool kids, and nerds and hip-hop fans, but they are not seperate groups, they are just kids who have friends, and their freinds are not always like they are.

I knew sports wasn't a factor in HS in most other countries. There are athletic clubs for that rather than incorporating it into school. I've lobbied for a long time that the US should move to that system.

Although, don't the cliques exist in that if your parents can afford it, you go to public school (which charges tuition) rather than to the publicly provided schools?

And, once in a while, you hear about a crew team having a big rivalry at the university level. Is that just fiction and/or only in the minds of the actual participants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DO you listen to audiobooks as a sole activity or in conjunction with another task?

I like audiobooks while exercising, driving and doing chores around the house. In general, the reader (necessarily) reads out loud much slower than I read, so if I am focused purely on reading, I prefer text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

This is a temporal paradox as Aliens is the greatest Action movie and pre-dates DieHard by 2 years. The only solution is to reformulate your theory and declare that Die Hard is Aliens in a skyscraper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
quozl wrote:
And your favorite Arnold movie is Total Recall. You just didn't remember.

The ending of that movie was lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are your thoughts on your generation?

What are your thoughts on Generation X?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.