Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these came up in our games (We play with all expansions modules).

1. If you have 0 soldiers total (adding the 0 soldiers token), does the +X in battle counts in the winter battle?

1a. If you have built the Troop Quarters and have the highest total but no soldiers on the track, can you still keep one (or do the soldiers token counts)?

2. Does the Improvised Defense work against; say the Orcs with a printed strength of 5 when the Event card is Fierce enemies (+1 in battle)?

3. Do you win ties with the Wall with Catapults when you don't spend a stone?

4. What enemy should one choose when they are both equal in strength when the Surrounded Event card comes up?

5. Can you move a single dice when using the Duke?

5a. I read somewhere that you take the Rising stars bonus when you influence the character. I suppose this don't apply to the Duke before you move your dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
1. Sure (your walls stop the enemies even if you've only farmers to put on them).

1a. The token (or die roll, with basic rules) counts. You keep a soldier (unless you've played the "0" token or played/rolled a "1" and own the Farms).

2. Improvised Defense consider the final "real" value of the enemies. In your example, they're worthless.

3. Yes (the two sentences should be clearly separated, or maybe they should have been printed in reverse order: the tiebreaker is always active, the "+1" only if you pay a Stone).

4. My original text says at its very end "if tied, the one on the board" (i.e. NOT the extra one you put under the Fate Card). I hope it has been properly translated and you've just missed it.

5. Sure, as long as the "highest" Advisor you've influenced costed you only a die.

5a. Rising Stars give its prizes "as soon as the Advisor is influenced". That is, when some dice are placed on that Advisor. So, the Duke can take the prize upon an Advisor and later move the di(c)e he placed there on the Duchess (provided that such Advisor was the "highest" one influenced by the Duke).

Have fun! meeple

EDIT: removed wrong example in answer 1a. The Farms, like all the buildings affecting your wintry power, do NOT reduce soldiers; they just contribute to the total power that is "number of soldiers (including those sent by the King via die/token)" plus "total modifier due to your buildings". So if you own the Farms and either [have a single hired soldier and play the "0"] or [have no hired soldiers and play/roll a"1"], then you still get to keep the lonely soldier in the Troop Quarters (assuming you've fulfilled the clause specified by the Troop Quarters of being the best winner, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
4. My original text says at its very end "if tied, the one on the board" (i.e. NOT the extra one you put under the Fate Card). I hope it has been properly translated and you've just missed it.

Don't worry. The card text is correct and clear: "(if even, fight the Enemy Card that was on the game board)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Marchi
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

Yes, I think I have missed that one.

Luke the Flaming wrote:

5. Sure, as long as the "highest" Advisor you've influenced costed you only a die.

5a. Rising Stars give its prizes "as soon as the Advisor is influenced". That is, when some dice are placed on that Advisor. So, the Duke can take the prize upon an Advisor and later move the di(c)e he placed there on the Duchess (provided that such Advisor was the "highest" one influenced by the Duke).

Damn, the Duke is really strong!

Thanks for your fast answers!

Kyralia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Kyralia wrote:
Damn, the Duke is really strong!

In fact, his opponents should try to influence the Duchess as often as possible when he is around (and since she's quite a good Advisor in many occasions, it shouldn't be too much of a "sacrifice").

Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
I have found the Duke to be amazing (both powerful and super fun) on the one ocassion that I played him, but that was a three-player game (the optimal time to play the Duke) so I may be biased Even so, I'd say that he's quite strong, as you only need to use his power 3-4 times to match the power of many other advisors (assuming your highest "group of dice" is a single die on the bottom row).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We played with the Duke this weekend four-player, and really there was no good way for us to stop him: in five-player the Duchess is contested quite a lot, but in four-player we felt like we had to choose between helping ourselves or hamstringing our dice to stall the Duke, which is not enjoyable: it's definitely fun to lock someone out of an advisor they need when you also need that advisor, but it's less fun to feel obligated to take one for the team and play on the Duchess when you could have instead used someone higher.

We'll be instituting a house rule of removing the Duke from the deck on all but five-player games from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
I have found the Duke to be amazing (both powerful and super fun) on the one ocassion that I played him, but that was a three-player game (the optimal time to play the Duke) so I may be biased Even so, I'd say that he's quite strong, as you only need to use his power 3-4 times to match the power of many other advisors (assuming your highest "group of dice" is a single die on the bottom row).
Disastrous here. I choose the Duke in a 5p game, but it really only helped once. The other 2 times I used the Duke to move my highest placement to the #12 advisor, I didn't need her anyways. I would've gotten what I wanted if I left my dice on their original spots anyways (once on the #8 Treasurer for the 2 gold and another on the Master Hunter #9 for a wood and stone).

Sure, you get a +2 token, but I already had too many of them at those points in time. Also, the times I really needed to get the #12 spot but wasn't able to use the Duke, those times each costed me a building. 3 if you count the fact that building the building would've let me tie the battle instead of losing and losing all my resources of which THAT indirectly costed me another building.

Lesson learned the hard way (though it was an interesting hands-on experiement none of the less).... never use the Duke in a 5p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Yeah, as I said, I used him in a three player and he was awesome. I'd guess he'd be OK in a four player and I wouldn't take him in a five player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used him a 3-player game. During the other two players complained that he was too strong, but after the game we all agreed that their own powers were equally good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
1a. The token (or die roll, with basic rules) counts. You keep a soldier (unless you've played the "0" token, or played/rolled a "1" and own the Farms).

Does that imply that soldiers tokens also count as the soldier needed for the small palisade (i.e. you practically always get the bonus)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Chris Coyote wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:
1a. The token (or die roll, with basic rules) counts. You keep a soldier (unless you've played the "0" token, or played/rolled a "1" and own the Farms).

Does that imply that soldiers tokens also count as the soldier needed for the small palisade (i.e. you practically always get the bonus)?

No.
But you're right, that's not totally clear.
The intention is: the Small Palisade checks for "do you have soldiers?" at the very start of Winter (so troops hired during Spring, Summer, Autumn or Phase VII are counted, but those you receive from the King, via token or die roll, are not).
The text of the Small Palisade could have been more clear saying "If you have at least a soldier at the beginning of Winter, you get +1 in battle.".
Since the whole clause would be almost always worthless if you inclueded the royal reinforcements (as you noted), I hope the players still manage to play it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
I hope the players still manage to play it correctly.

As we did

Nonetheless thanks for the (again _really_ quick) clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks to
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
who spotted an error in my answer 1a above, I've updated it.

Here's the updated version:

Luke the Flaming wrote:

Q: 1a. If you have built the Troop Quarters and have the highest total but no soldiers on the track, can you still keep one (or do the soldiers token counts)?

A: The token (or die roll, with basic rules) counts. You keep a soldier (unless you've played the "0" token or played/rolled a "1" and own the Farms).

EDIT: removed wrong example in answer 1a. The Farms, like all the buildings affecting your wintry power, do NOT reduce soldiers; they just contribute to the total power that is "number of soldiers (including those sent by the King via die/token)" plus "total modifier due to your buildings". So if you own the Farms and either [have a single hired soldier and play the "0"] or [have no hired soldiers and play/roll a"1"], then you still get to keep the lonely soldier in the Troop Quarters (assuming you've fulfilled the clause specified by the Troop Quarters of being the best winner, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.