Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Blips and diagonals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, p. 11 wrote:
A model or blip cannot move through another model, blip, or a closed door. A model also cannot move diagonally if this means it would pass between two squares containing a wall or a model...

Since blips are explicitly mentioned in the first sentence and not in the second, can I correctly conclude that blips can make the diagonal move and do not block the diagonal?

Common sense would say that since blips are really just "hidden" Genestealers, they should be treated as models unless otherwise indicated.

I don't have 1st or 2nd edition, so I can't make any judgments based on those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be correct. It's pretty safe to assume "blip=model" in all rule cases. If the two corners are occupied, a model/blip cannot squeeze through them.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
This would be correct. It's pretty safe to assume "blip=model" in all rule cases. If the two corners are occupied, a model/blip cannot squeeze through them.

-shnar

I second this reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that a blip is usually treated like a model. They block LOS and movement like models.
There are special rules for the movement of blips because blips don't have a facing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berthold wrote:
I also agree that a blip is usually treated like a model. They block LOS and movement like models.

I can't think of an instance where a blip would block line of sight. A Marine looking at it would convert it, and Genestealers don't shoot.

Am I just being pedantic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for 'external' situations. Certain things on the map may have LOS for various effects (for example, auto-turrets). Plus, the rule existed for Stealers that did need LOS to squares (psyker hybrids, for example).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
I can't think of an instance where a blip would block line of sight. A Marine looking at it would convert it, and Genestealers don't shoot.

Am I just being pedantic?

When a marine gains LoS on a corridor that contains multiple Blips, only the first blip is revealed. This is becasue the first blip blocks LoS to any blips behind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Akvilov
Ukraine
Kyiv
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if rules say only about corners and models, blips don't block movement. Blip is entropy, the possibility of existence genestealer.
As I know old versions have blips with zero.

Spacehulk wrote:
This is becasue the first blip blocks LoS to any blips behind it.

No, this is because entropy of first blip disappear and model(s) block line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite. In 3rd Ed, there are no "0" blips. In 1st Ed, there were no "0" blips. I can't remember if 2nd Ed had them or not, but I'm leaning towards no. In fact, the only "0" blip I can think of is the Ambush Counter from Space Hulk: Deathwing Expansion, but Ambushes are a separate mechanic all together (plus they don't exist in 3rd Ed). So it's safe to say a blip is at least one Genestealer, which is why blips block LOS and Movement.

To make things more concrete, particularly for 3rd Ed, let's quote some rulebooks:

Quote:
Each face-down blip could be 1, 2 or 3 Genestealers.
pg 7

It costs 1 AP to move one space forwards, or
diagonally forwards, and 2 AP to move backwards one
space or diagonally backwards one space. Blips are an
exception to these rules, and can move in any direction
for 1 AP.
pg 11

A model or blip cannot move through another model, blip, or a closed door.
pg 11

Blips have no facing and therefore can move one square in any direction for 1 AP.
pg 16

Blips may not move into a square that contains an object.
pg 18

There's all the pertinent rules for blips regarding movement that I could find in the 3rd Ed rulebook. They very much do block movement and can move diagonally in any legal direction (i.e. empty space, not passing between two blocks corners, etc).

Note that in 3rd Ed, there's no need to really talk about blips blocking LOS since Genestealers don't need LOS to their targets, they just need to be in front of them (which inherently gives them LOS). In previous editions, some Genestealers could fire weapons and so needed LOS rules, and Blips did block LOS.

HTH,

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with shnar.
The 2nd edition has blip counters with 0 Genestealers. Nevertheless the rules for movement are like this:
"Blocked Diagonals
A Space Marine, blip or Genestealer can also move diagonally, forward or backwards, except when both of the adjacent squares between it and its destination square are a wall, another model, a blip or are on fire." (p. 15)

The rules of the 1st edition:
"Illegal Moves
You cannot move a piece into a square containing another piece, a closed door, or through a wall. In addition you cannot move a piece into an empty diagonally-adjacent square if both intervening squares are occupied by other pieces and/or corners." (p. 14).
According to p. 5 and 6 pieces are models of Space Marines and Genestealers and also blips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Akvilov
Ukraine
Kyiv
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I agree that blip can't move diagonally between two blips or blip and corner after reading rules 1st and 2nd edition.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.