Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Having played the game with the expansion several dozen times now, I feel I am now able to offer my opinions on the alternate building rows with some confidence. I am actually offering my opinions mostly in the hopes that I have overlooked critical strategies that employ one or more building rows that I find to be only fair or poor, because I would really like to feel good about using all of the alternate building rows.

Rating System:
Poor row: This row is worse than the original row.
Fair row: This row is the same to worse than the original row.
Good row: This row is the same to better than the original row.
Great row: This row is better than the original row.

A. Arena: Good row. At least comparable to the Mint row, although the Arena requires building up to the Griffin Ranch or Stables to make it really useful.

B. Basilica: Poor row. Does anyone actually build the Cathedral row for the buildings' benefits? Row B is all about victory points and this alternate row gives you fewer victory points overall with only slightly lower costs (and benefits which are the same to worse than the original row).

C. Port: Fair row. The original row (which includes the Farms) seems much better, enabling a more frequent placement on the Queen. I'm not sure the woefully low victory point contribution of this row is entirely offset by the abilities it grants. Granted, the Port is infinitely better than the Merchant's Guild.

D. Alchemist's Guild: Fair row. Built alone, it is a gambler's row. It requires combination with other rows/governors to make it really useful.

E. Manor: Good row. As long as you are getting the bulk of your defense from elsewhere, this row is awesome. The Manor alone, built early, can net you a few extra resources and 5-6 extra VPs.

F. Architect's Guild: Great row. As good, if not better than the original row. The Barricade is probably a little more useful than Hidden Refuge, but it can certainly come in handy. The Woodshop is a wash with the Crane, the Exchange Office is better than the Town Hall, and the Architect's Guild is at least as good as the Embassy, if not better, and costs less (albeit it grants one less VP).

G. University: Good row. Even if you just build the Fountain in Year I, you've gotten some good use out of this row. Combined with other rows and governors (especially the Griffin Ranch in the Manor row) this row can really start to shine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A. Arena: ok to build it as a secondary row. Mint row is a primary focus row, so you cannot really compare both. Both have their uses, but the uses are very different.

B. Basilica: I agree: rather poor row. In fact the worst of the alternate rows imho.

C. Port: Ok row. Buildings 2 and 4 are superior to original row; building 1 is a bit worse. Just cannot remember the third one -_-

D. Alchemist's Guild: Good row with great first building: watch tower is amazing. The rest of the row is nothing worse than the original one.

E. Manor: Ok row, perhaps somewhat better than original. Manor can be great, but is quite luck-dependant, as is griffon farm.

F. Architect's Guild: Ok row - buildings 1-3 are about the same (refuge) or a bit better (woodshop, office) than original. Building 4 - guild of architects - is in fact worse than embassy. In a embassy strategy, you build the embassy on turn 4 or 5, getting the VP for the building + 11-12 for the remaining turns, i.e. 12-13 including the one vp embassy granted more when building compared to architects guild. If you build architecs guild on turn 4, you can at most build 11 additional building, thus never getting as many vp as with the embassy - and you have to focus on all the cheap building on column 1 and 2, what is quite a harsh restriction!

G. University: Devastating row if you roll low. Very very luck dependant. This row is ok, but imho clearly superior to the original one (which is the one row built least by far in our games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Chris Coyote wrote:
F. Architect's Guild: Ok row - buildings 1-3 are about the same (refuge) or a bit better (woodshop, office) than original. Building 4 - guild of architects - is in fact worse than embassy. In a embassy strategy, you build the embassy on turn 4 or 5, getting the VP for the building + 11-12 for the remaining turns, i.e. 12-13 including the one vp embassy granted more when building compared to architects guild. If you build architecs guild on turn 4, you can at most build 11 additional building, thus never getting as many vp as with the embassy - and you have to focus on all the cheap building on column 1 and 2, what is quite a harsh restriction!

When I've played the Architect's Guild I've managed to build almost every turn following without focusing solely on cheap buildings (my experience is that most experienced players will end up with 13+ buildings even when pursuing multiple rows to column IV).

In addition, don't forget you get an additional 3 VP if you have the most buildings at the end of the game.

That being said, I'd say the Architect's Guild and the Embassay are pretty much a wash for me. I guess what really sells the row for me is the Exchange Office. I rarely use the Town Hall because it is too expensive (losing a resource for only one VP), but dropping a resource once a year for 2 VPs is a no-brainer for me. So I feel like while the Town Hall nets me maybe 1-2 VPs as I find myself with a couple extra resources in Year V (and I realize I won't be able to complete the Church after all ), the Exchange Office can score me between 8-10 VPs over the course of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
(my experience is that most experienced players will end up with 13+ buildings even when pursuing multiple rows to column IV). [/quote]

That heavily depends on the number of players. 13+ is quite a good value; ~10 is more standard in my games (building 2 full lines. If you don't build two full lines, but focus more on column 1 and 2 buildings, you of course get to build more buildings).

[quote]In addition, don't forget you get an additional 3 VP if you have the most buildings at the end of the game.[/quote]

I actually really forgot that, thanks!

[quote]That being said, I'd say the Architect's Guild and the Embassay are pretty much a wash for me. I guess what really sells the row for me is the Exchange Office. I rarely use the Town Hall because it is too expensive (losing a resource for only one VP), but dropping a resource once a year for 2 VPs is a no-brainer for me. So I feel like while the Town Hall nets me maybe 1-2 VPs as I find myself with a couple extra resources in Year V (and I realize I won't be able to complete the Church after all ), the Exchange Office can score me between 8-10 VPs over the course of the game.

qft

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
the Basilica row is probably the one we had more finetuning troubles with.

I have the feeling it's not that different from the Port row, with buildings # 2 and # 4 better than their original counterparts, and # 1 and #3 probably not as good as the original counterparts.

But of course, players may have a different perception

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Szymanski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I find Basilica row as not bad. Its saving grace is that is cheaper so you can actually build Basilica and gain points from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
In addition, don't forget you get an additional 3 VP if you have the most buildings at the end of the game.

Wait, what? perhaps I'm blind but I do not see that anywhere in the rules. The only thing I've found is in phase 3 the most buildgings gets the player 1 VP. And buildings is the 3rd tie breaker.

Can you point to where that rule is?

Edit: Never mind, it is a special ability for the Architech's Guild building (replacement row F)

thanks
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/457111

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.