John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered the Pegasus Expansion through ThoughtHammer and it came to my doorstep during Labor Day weekend. We just now got around to playing the first game with the expansion so the anticipation of playing was reaching critical levels (for me at least). Just with all my buddy's schedules and weekend plans - it was hard to find a good time since we had anticipated a LONG game.

It took a good while incorporating all the Pegasus components into the base game, but we did it while watching football. Finally got everything set up and went over the new rules. Spending a lot of time with explaining the cylon leader rules... also got a little confused with the loyalty deck - but we figured it out. We also decided to leave the New Caprica rules to until we actually got there.

We rolled to see who would go first in selecting characters... and we were off. Josh won the die roll with a 7.

He chooses Kat. Nate goes next... chooses Cavil. I'm up and I choose Dee. Mike is last and chooses Cain.

4player game, all new characters. We notice very quickly that we are missing a character with significant politics ability, but we just forged on. Mike is the President/Admiral - supreme commander! Which the cylon leader (Nate) is quick to point out that we need an election... already sowing the seeds of doubt into the crew.

Josh = Kat
Nate = Cavil
Me = Dee
Mike = Cain

Kat is up first. Like a good pilot, she launches herself in a viper and heads toward the civilian ships in the starting set up. Kat's crisis is BAD: Cylon Raid - assault card places more civilian ships on the board as well as a ton of raiders. Most importantly 2 heavy raiders are placed right in the boarding space. Cavil is up and everyone was waiting to see what he would do (based on his objective)... he actually infiltrates. His crisis is a skill check that we lose.... so we quickly figure out that cavil could not have added what caused us to fail. We have a cylon between the 3 other players! I'm up next and I use my special ability to look at all the civilian ships and move them all behind galactica (away from the raiders)... but putting all our "eggs in one basket". My move basically buys us a little more time before we start losing population and resources. My crisis is resolved and we pass....haven't moved on the jump track at all. As Cain is up next, the conversation is whether or not we use her 'once per game' ability to blind jump out of this bad situation. My argument is that we are not doing too too bad and I think we will be able to survive this opening jump. Finally get to a point where Cain uses the Pegasus batteries to fire on the base stars with no result.

The next couple of turns - Kat is flying around on stems takes out one heavy raider. Cavil controls the other vipers and takes the other heavy raider out. Immediate threat of a boarding party is gone... now focused on our civilian ships and surviving. We were not doing well on our skill checks. The initial discussion of the cylon is down to Dee (who is human) and Kat.... that seemed to help us try to pass the next few crisis cards, but destiny was not helping too much. I somehow wind up in sickbay and can't really do anything but get out on my turn.... Cain fires up the batteries again and takes out some raiders.

I really want to use the airlock on Kat, but the current combat situation would not be wise to do so, but Cain was not convinced we should do that yet and Cavil did not help in our discussion. I end up executive ordering Cain who scouts... Our cylon detector blows up (another failed skill check - i wonder who did that?) but we manage to survive with already dwindling resources to our first auto jump.

Distance = 3. At this point I am pretty sure Cain is human and Kat is a toaster. It is Cain's turn and I forgot what she did, but it was not an airlock or brig option. Kat launches herself into a viper and Cavil starts pulling politics cards. I REALLY REALLY want to airlock Josh, but I exo Cain again to fail at scouting once again. We are moving on the jump track fairly quickly. Another Cylon assault besieges us again and we are all scrambling to find more jump icons. I am positive that Kat is a cylon, but can't do anything about it with the combat situation. We manage to jump away, but quickly have another assault descend on us.

Distance = 2. Sleeper phase. I tell everyone it is ridiculous to have this phase since we already know who the cylon is! I think my discussion spooks the cylon since the jump was during Cain's turn. Kat reveals! I was right all along! Moral takes a hit and she resurrects with the cylon fleet.

Cain decides to blind jump. we lose 2 population and morale. Population is at 5 and morale is at 4. Distance of 2 - but we lose fuel.... at least we start New Caprica @ 7.

New Caprica Phase: After going over the new rules and having a hang up since Cavil is still infiltrating. We decided that he can play as a "human"... which was correct anyway. I thought this phase would be slow and painful (especially since our resources were really low) but it went fairly quickly.

The new toaster Kat start controlling occupation forces while Cain and Dee desperately prepare the ships. Cavil is preparing the ships, but there is talk that we need to execute him. Particularly from my side - I still did not know what Cavil was trying to do, but his argument was that he was helping us out, blah blah blah. We got about 5 or so ships prepped and Galatica jumps back.

Kat keeps controlling occupation forces - and in a shocker, Cavil executes Cain. I'm not at all surprised, but since the humans were starting to see a small glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel... I guess his true nature comes out. It doesn't look good for the humans at this point.

Mike picks Tyrol since all of our vipers were damaged and there were raiders firing upon Galactica now. Cavil is the current player so the hits go to Pegasus (3 locations damaged). We were also trying to split the presidency and admiral to better our changes. Dee is now the admiral, and Tyrol is the repairman President. LoL. I nuke one basestar and hit it with an 6 + 2 from a card I played... so 3 raiders are destroyed with it. Our 1st prepared ship makes it up to space. Tyrol goes to the surface and prepares another ship by discarding. So 2 more ships make it into space. Kat moves more occupational forces closer to the ship yard and the crisis card causes the morale to drop to 2 - I shoot myself in the head.

I pick the young Adama to keep the admiral position and hopefully do something with piloting cards.... Cavil is up next... he tries to executes Tyrol and fails. Tryol prepares another ship so we now have 5 ships in space, 1 left locked, and 1 left prepared. Kat moves the occupational forces into the shipyard destroys the last remaining ships.... we are down to 1 pop, 2 moral, 5 food, and 3 fuel. Cavil resurrects.

I give the order to jump away! The Humans WIN! It went down to the wire, but man it was close.

Cavil's Objective was to have a Cylon win, but Galactica must not have more than 2 damaged locations.... I can't remember if there were other stipulations on his agenda.

EDITED: Added Cavil's Objective & corrected Cavil's first turn action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what was Cavil's agenda?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read it correctly Cavil infiltrated on his first turn and took another action. The infiltration is an action and should haven ended his turn (except for his crisis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
If I read it correctly Cavil infiltrated on his first turn and took another action. The infiltration is an action and should haven ended his turn (except for his crisis).

You are right. I need to edit that. He launched vipers on his 2nd turn....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun session

Personally I think the games that are a desperate scramble for the humans to win are the best.

I would hazard a guess that the reason you all had so many problems passing skill checks in the early game is because your spread of characters (Dee, Cain, Kat) are primarily purple/green, so you lacked a character who draws a lot of yellow, which appear frequently on crisis cards (I've seen this happen, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:
Sounds like a fun session

Personally I think the games that are a desperate scramble for the humans to win are the best.

I would hazard a guess that the reason you all had so many problems passing skill checks in the early game is because your spread of characters (Dee, Cain, Kat) are primarily purple/green, so you lacked a character who draws a lot of yellow, which appear frequently on crisis cards (I've seen this happen, too).

Yeah, definitely agree. I think we were all caught up with playing new characters from the expansion.... but still managed to pull a win (well fro 2 of us at least).... lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a fun read. My copy of Pegasus arrives tomorrow. I need to play this!!! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.