Popular Tags: [View All]
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased two games from a game store online under their dent and ding listings. One game listed for $59.96, and I saved $6.39. The game box arrived totally split out on one side with both the box lid and base split in one corner top to bottom. The box had obviously been crushed, causing one side to split out. The other game listed for 34.97 and I saved $3.50. This box was not split but significantly crushed. Both the top and the bottom had buckled in for about 3 inches into the box. IMHO these are both more than Dents or Dings. I have made other Dent and Ding purchases in which the box was not compromised but just dented lightly, or dinged up a bit. These seem to fit in the Bashed and Broken Category. I am curious what others thoughts or experiences are or have been with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like more than ding and dent to me as well. I'd be emailing the store asking what was up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game store name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we would have to know how the store defined "ding and dent" on their website. If they said "minor shelf wear" its one thing, but if they said "box damaged, but the game itself is like new", its another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of that, were the contents affected?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, most places I've seen with ding and dent items give you some kind of description of the damage.

This was not the case here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WillT wrote:
I guess we would have to know how the store defined "ding and dent" on their website.

Here is the definition: This game has slight to moderate cosmetic damage to the box and is still in the original shrinkwrap. The contents of the box are new, undamaged, and fully playable.

To me, slight to moderate may cover the crunched box, but not the one that is split out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the store/website????

EDIT:In fact why would you start this thread and not list the site???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deric Harrington
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem here is that realistically arguing over your vs. their definition of "moderate".

To me, moderate means it could be in pretty rough shape.

Deric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Riggs
United States
Missouri Valley
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
WillT wrote:
I guess we would have to know how the store defined "ding and dent" on their website.

Here is the definition: This game has slight to moderate cosmetic damage to the box and is still in the original shrinkwrap. The contents of the box are new, undamaged, and fully playable.

To me, slight to moderate may cover the crunched box, but not the one that is split out.

from the definition he gave it sounds like Thoughthammer

i havent had any problems with them in the past, the products you ordered sound a hell of a lot worse then their description though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not listing the site to give the site a chance to make good (replace the game, further discount, store credit or what have you). Assuming OP has contacted a customer service rep, probably not best to simultaneously make a post complaining about them.

I will say that I have had very good experiences with the ding and dent games from Thoughthammer. Gotten several games and the box damage was very minor - sometimes I had to inspect quite closely to see the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Derros wrote:
Dave Davies wrote:
WillT wrote:

i havent had any problems with them in the past, the products you ordered sound a hell of a lot worse then their description though

Not sure why you would assume Thoughthammer. A number of online retailers have a ding-and-dent section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Riggs
United States
Missouri Valley
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Derros wrote:
Dave Davies wrote:
WillT wrote:

Not sure why you would assume Thoughthammer. A number of online retailers have a ding-and-dent section.

because the definition he gave looks exactly the same as the ones thoughthammer has on almost all their ding & dent games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derros wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

because the definition he gave looks exactly the same as the ones thoughthammer has on almost all their ding & dent games

TH was the first place I thought of since the description was verbatim to their Ding & Dent policy.

One question I have was whether the shipping box was in perfect condition. UPS likes to compress my packages and turn my games into Ding & Dents even when they didn't start that way... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nobody
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Probably not listing the site to give the site a chance to make good (replace the game, further discount, store credit or what have you). Assuming OP has contacted a customer service rep, probably not best to simultaneously make a post complaining about them.

I will say that I have had very good experiences with the ding and dent games from Thoughthammer. Gotten several games and the box damage was very minor - sometimes I had to inspect quite closely to see the damage.

Yes if there has been contact I agree 100%... Let me put it another way.. For someone to not explain in detail the damage(when listed as dent/ding and its completly smashed)before sending that to you is outragous in my mind.. So when you can please let me know who it was so I can avoid them....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the contents weren't damaged and the game's still playable, ya got what you paid for. (Insert Niagra reference here.)

"Hey! My ding and dent box was barely scratched! I owe you guys six bucks!" laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pair of split corners doesn't sound unreasonable to me to qualify as moderate box damage.

It sounds like there wasn't any damage to the game components themselves which is what I would expect of a ding n' dent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonaparte
United States
DesMoines
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the discussion and thoughts. I did not list the company because my intent is to find out what people think, not disparage the company. I just want to know if my expectations line up with others and their experiences. To answer those suggesting Thought Hammer, if it is them or not, I have consitently had good experiences with my purchases from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave Davies wrote:
To answer those suggesting Thought Hammer, if it is them or not, I have consitently had good experiences with my purchases from them.

Same here, in fact their great packaging has actually saved my games from UPS damage back when I ordered from them. I've never ordered D&D from them, but I recall previous threads where people were surprised by what they got versus what they expected (versus D&D products from other online places).

If my memory is correct, your damage is on par with what TH considers moderate damage. On the other hand, I'm used to NobleKnight and Boards & Bits, where I can't tell the item was a D&D or used half the time so I can understand why you might be a bit surprised by what you got. If I were to order D&D from TH, I wouldn't be jazzed with such a result but not surprised.

Edit : I also appreciate you not bringing up their name right away. On the flip side it is good for others to know what to expect so they're not taken by surprise either. The trick though is the fine line of when to spill the beans because some are quick to pile on a company for something that is perfectly reasonable when seen in the proper context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With www.BoardsAndBits.com they have graduations in thier ding & dent category ranging from very light to heavy damage. In all cases they list that the contents are fine and playable.

Here's what they have in thier FAQ:

Quote:
A: Damages are to box/non-game components only. All game components are undamaged. Here's an explanation of the damage levels:

VLD - A small crease, slightly smushed corner and/or slightly crumpled corner of the box

LD - A heavier crease, smushed corner, and/or crumpled side, very noticable

MD - Heavy creasing and/or smashed corners (smashed is worse than smushed

HD - Box is heavily damaged but probably still strong enough to hold the contents

VHD - Box is pretty much totalled...you are buying just for the components, but it's still playable

I've purchased ding/dent from B&B before and been happy every time so far. The heavier damaged ones have appropriate discounts. And I've been pleasantly surprised before. For instance, I bought Bang the Bullet with VLD (very light damage). It turns out it was just a dent in the metal bullet shaped container that I was able to pop out from the inside after I opened it.

Anyway, yet another reason why I like B&B, they very clearly state what you will be getting (like a mere dent, or box edges blown out, etc) when you order from ding & dent.

If the place you ordered from was B&B, compare what you ordered with that list in thier FAQ and see if it matches up. If it doesn't, then contact them.

If its not B&B, then I would still suggest contacting the company you ordered from. Perhaps asking for an additional discount off the original price (describe the damage) would be a solution?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
For instance, I bought Bang the Bullet with VLD (very light damage). It turns out it was just a dent in the metal bullet shaped container that I was able to pop out from the inside after I opened it.

Will, in that case I'll expect a PayPal payment for the difference between the VLD and NEW copies.

Thanks!

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful if it's Thoughthammer, they might give you a 19th century flogging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very detailed descriptions are nice, but I don't really expect that from every retailer. To my mind, "ding and dent" means I'm getting mint components with a box that could range from barely structurally sound to just slightly scraped up. It's a crapshoot and that's what you're getting the discount for. Had I received the games you described, would I have been disappointed? Sure, but only in the sense that I got some bad luck. As long as the game components are mint, I wouldn't go back and complain to the retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received a Dinged and Dented game where the game board itself had major damage. I'm waiting to hear if I will be getting a replacement as that store's policy noted that the components should not be damaged.

UPDATE: Eagle Games immediately sent me a brand new copy of the game after I sent them some pictures of the damage! Great service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.