Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished Dan Brown's new book and I had the following thought.

I don't consider this a spoiler, but you might, so don't read further if you are concerned.

At one point in the book, there was some really cool technology that I "thought of" years ago and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was real.

It was an ultra-sophisticated IR system that could read very small changes in temperature, so that a spot where someone had rested their hand for a few moments was visible minutes later.

I had no idea how to mechanize it, but theoretically this spot should always be a little hotter than its surroundings (asymptotically approaching the surrounding temperature) until something happens to raise the surroundings' temperature. After that, it's only measuring (and filtering) the temperature.

So, does anyone know if this technology is available and portable (goggles in the book)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I finished Dan Brown's new book and I had the following thought.

I don't consider this a spoiler, but you might, so don't read further if you are concerned.

At one point in the book, there was some really cool technology that I "thought of" years ago and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was real.

It was an ultra-sophisticated IR system that could read very small changes in temperature, so that a spot where someone had rested their hand for a few moments was visible minutes later.

I had no idea how to mechanize it, but theoretically this spot should always be a little hotter than its surroundings (asymptotically approaching the surrounding temperature) until something happens to raise the surroundings' temperature. After that, it's only measuring (and filtering) the temperature.

So, does anyone know if this technology is available and portable (goggles in the book)?

Thermal imaging cameras can do this, but there is a point at which the handprint is unreadable. Mostly due to the dissipation of the heat through the surrounding conductive materials, including ambient air. I don't know if thermal imaging cameras can be made as small as what you said, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, they weren't reading the print, I think they recognized it as a handprint, but not much more detail than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they can fix Tom Hanks' hair for the movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't read the book, but...it's all about signal to noise ratio. In anything above absolute zero, there will be some thermal noise, and as things get hotter the noise increases. If I rest my hand on a wall, yes in theory that patch will be slightly warmer until other heat sources are applied to the wall, but very quickly the warmth from my hand will be drowned out by the ambient noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
To be clear, they weren't reading the print, I think they recognized it as a handprint, but not much more detail than that.

By unreadable I meant undetectable. I didn't think they could read the actual prints for ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
davestephens wrote:

Hopefully they can fix discover plot cohesion for the next... well, any work with Dan Brown's name attached to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joebelanger wrote:
davestephens wrote:

Hopefully they can fix discover plot cohesion for the next... well, any work with Dan Brown's name attached to it

Dan Brown confuses plot with controversy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.