Subject: What are the chances of a Second Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we have any idea if Fantasy Flight Games will ever put out a second edition of this game? I think its a wonderful co-op design, but they could certainly up the components in a new edition.

First and foremost for a game that supports 8 players there simply needs to be a larger board. I can't even imagine seeing 8 people huddled around a table trying to play it. Next, while I like the thick cardboard items I actually think that a deck of cards would have been just as effective. Plus this would make storing the game much easier.

Ideally they should release the game with the same sized box as Drakon (third edition) or Cave Troll. I think all of the components would have fit nicely, the board could have been bigger and it would have been easier to spot in your FLGS.

I think FFG should eventually release this with a new edition and possible put in some new items or rules. What do you guys think?

~ Bones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game, I agree, but I always have to disagree about making it larger. I love the compact size of this game. I can carry Red November, Colossal Arena, CIA vs KGB, and Citadels in half the size of a conventional box, and that's a great part of the appeal.

Also, I've been known to take Red November with my to the laundromat and play a solo game or two while waiting. The compact size means it's easy to take, easy to find space to play (even when the laundromat is crowded) and easy to pack up.

I'm not against a bigger edition (I don't have to buy it, and if someone else wants to, then I'd be glad this fun game is available to them), but I also think it's worth noting that to some of us, the size of the game is a selling point, not a negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BonesJackson wrote:

First and foremost for a game that supports 8 players there simply needs to be a larger board. I can't even imagine seeing 8 people huddled around a table trying to play it.~ Bones

I played an eight player game and it worked fine. I don't have a problem with the size of the board, but agree the box could've been made larger so the pieces fit back in easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the sizing is a definite plus. What I'd love to see is a version with player roles -- perhaps an expansion pack with a few cards for a few bucks. That's the only thing missing from this otherwise excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree that the portability of the game is a plus. However, I really don't care for the tiny board. Once you start adding the fire and water tokens along with the minis it just gets a tad too fiddly.

The game is certainly wonderful and the first release was good...but I would certainly plunk down the cash for a new big box edition. I also agree that they could add some roles or something extra to the new edition. A little something extra to entice gamers to double dip or just lure in potential new buyers...

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BonesJackson wrote:
Next, while I like the thick cardboard items I actually think that a deck of cards would have been just as effective. Plus this would make storing the game much easier.

How can a deck of cards replace the fire/water and blocked hatch tokens? I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
BonesJackson wrote:
Next, while I like the thick cardboard items I actually think that a deck of cards would have been just as effective. Plus this would make storing the game much easier.

How can a deck of cards replace the fire/water and blocked hatch tokens? I'm confused.

I think this means what is says: items. Crowbars, manuals, booze, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
BonesJackson wrote:

I think this means what is says: items. Crowbars, manuals, booze, etc.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. That makes way more sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.