Jason M
Canada
flag msg tools
My group got into a fairly lengthy argument about this rules question but I believe I got it right. We were able to get together a 7-person game and at one point a revealed cylon player plays the Super Crisis card Bomb on Colonial One. This require a skill check of 15 in order to pass. I played Investigative Comittee before adding the cards (which is sort of irrellevent to the question). So after adding all the cards and flipping over the destiny deck we count that the check only adds up to 14! The Cylon Leader playing as Caprica Six had mentioned that she may want to play her once per game to flood the skill check with her own cards if this had passed. Once she saw that the check failed however she decided not to use her ability. Once I saw this I played Declare Emergency which helps it pass by 1! Then, Caprica Six says that she wants to use her once per game ability. I say that her opportunity has passed and she says that the current player gets to decide the order as per the new timing rules.

My rationale here is that the timing rules dont really apply because the step with which Caprica should have used her ability has already been completed. Caprica's ability says that it is used once all skill cards played into a skill check have been revealed. On the other hand Declare Emergency says that you play it after strength is totaled in a skill check. I believe that you REVEAL the cards before actually totalling them, not revealing and totalling at the same time (even though we were doing a running total out loud, I dont think this was "official"). What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1st, I would say that Six's OPG occurs before the Declare Emergency card. However, in this case it was irrelevant since OPG's cannot be used on Super Crisis Cards.

If your group is in doubt to the order I would leave it up to the current player to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Since they happen at the same time, I would say Current Player decides order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
With seven OPG's affecting skill checks along with four reckless cards, two other interrupts, Treachery card activations and Declare Emergency cards you can have a tangled mess. FFG should probably provide a guide to the order of the various effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, I am trying to untangle it for the PBF games. This is what I have (in no order, just grouped):

Strategic Planning DIE Before
Calculations DIE After
Run Interference ATTACK Before (Cylon)
Strategic Planning ATTACK Before
Calculations ATTACK After
Evasive Maneuver ATTACK After (Cylon)
Major Victory ATTACK After (Human)
Jury Rigged (Reckless) SKILL Before
Scientific Research SKILL Before
At Any Cost (Reckless) SKILL Before
Guts and Initiative (Reckless) SKILL Before
Investigative Committee SKILL Before
Support the People (Reckless) SKILL Before
Declare Emergency SKILL After

Starbuck: Secret Destiny (OPG) CRISIS After (Reveal)
Boomer: Mysteriour Intuition (OPG) CRISIS After (Reveal)
Helo: Moral Compass (OPG) CRISIS After (Choice)
Kat: Hotshot DIE Before
Helo: ECO Officer DIE After
Dee: Fast Learner (OPG) SKILL Before
Tigh: Cylon Hatred SKILL Before (Admiral's Quarters)
Starbuck: Insubordinate SKILL Before (Admiral's Quarters)
Zarek: Friends in Low Places SKILL Before (Administration / Brig)
Chief: Blind Devotion (OPG) SKILL After (Before Reveal)
Adama: Command Authority (OPG) SKILL After
Cain: Intolerant SKILL After
Caprica Six: Human Delusion (OPG) SKILL After

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my opinion on the order the various abilities/cards should happen on Crisis Card skill checks.

A. Reveal Crisis Card (Starbuck can use OPG to discard)
B. A decision may be required of a player (Helo can use OPG to change the decision)
C. Boomer can use OPG to auto pass or fail the crisis
D. All human players have option to play interrupts (max of one reckless card). Current player decides which card to play if more than one player plays the same card or more than one reckless card is played
E. Dee can use OPG to draw 3 skill cards and add them to her hand or the skill check.
F. Starting with the player to the left of the current player all players have option to play cards into the skill check (max of 2 cards for infiltrating Cylons and players in Detention; max of 1 card for revealed Cylons and players in the Brig).
G. Caprica Six can use her OPG to add additional cards from her hand to the skill check.
H. Chief Tyrol can use his OPG to cancel the strength of all cards of one color.
I. All cards played into the check are revealed and their strength is totaled. (Resolve the effects of activated Treachery cards in the order they are revealed).
J. Any human player may play Declare Emergency to reduce the difficulty of the skill check by 2.
K. Adama can use his OPG to pick up all cards played into the skill check.
L. Resolve the effects of the skill check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mewmew wrote:
FYI page 6 of Pegasus rule book it says to remove Investigative Comittee cards from the game.

And replace them with the new version included in Pegasus. Which has the same effect except Destiny cards are immune. They still resolve at the same time though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sharp
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
However, in this case it was irrelevant since OPG's cannot be used on Super Crisis Cards.

Unless I have missed some official ruling otherwise, the rules only state that player abilities that affect crisis cards cannot be used on Super Crises (ie. a "Super Crisis" is not a "Crisis"). They say nothing about abilities that affect skill checks (which I believe Six's ability does).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
shopt wrote:
Mundane wrote:
However, in this case it was irrelevant since OPG's cannot be used on Super Crisis Cards.

Unless I have missed some official ruling otherwise, the rules only state that player abilities that affect crisis cards cannot be used on Super Crises (ie. a "Super Crisis" is not a "Crisis"). They say nothing about abilities that affect skill checks (which I believe Six's ability does).

Page 19 of the rulebook wrote:
Super Crisis Cards are treated like normal Crisis Cards, but are immune to all character abilities that affect Crisis Cards or skill checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sharp
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be reading a different version of the rules than me. The printed copy of the rules I have in front of me and the latest version downloadable from FFG's site both omit the words you have bolded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend has my copy of the game so I went to this link: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Gal...

The FAQ has it as a correction:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Gal...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sharp
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe I missed that errata. Thanks for clearing that up. I also must have gotten the old version of the rules I had downloaded mixed up with the latest one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
This is my opinion on the order the various abilities/cards should happen on Crisis Card skill checks.

A. Reveal Crisis Card (Starbuck can use OPG to discard)
B. A decision may be required of a player (Helo can use OPG to change the decision)
C. Boomer can use OPG to auto pass or fail the crisis
D. All human players have option to play interrupts (max of one reckless card). Current player decides which card to play if more than one player plays the same card or more than one reckless card is played
E. Dee can use OPG to draw 3 skill cards and add them to her hand or the skill check.
F. Starting with the player to the left of the current player all players have option to play cards into the skill check (max of 2 cards for infiltrating Cylons and players in Detention; max of 1 card for revealed Cylons and players in the Brig).
G. Caprica Six can use her OPG to add additional cards from her hand to the skill check.
H. Chief Tyrol can use his OPG to cancel the strength of all cards of one color.
I. All cards played into the check are revealed and their strength is totaled. (Resolve the effects of activated Treachery cards in the order they are revealed).
J. Any human player may play Declare Emergency to reduce the difficulty of the skill check by 2.
K. Adama can use his OPG to pick up all cards played into the skill check.
L. Resolve the effects of the skill check.

Shouldn't G and H be flipped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it should be H, than I than G.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.