Subject: I Recommend Spoonbread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never heard of it before but had some yesterday. It's a soft, very moist, bread; the texture ends up almost like bread pudding. Mine had chunks of ham in it that gave it a bacon-y flavor. It was awesome. For Portlanders, try it at "Country Cat" restaurant - it's over by East 82nd, which is an area I normally avoid, but my wife's friends had recommended the restaurant and we were over that way to hike Powell Butte anyway.

This stuff might be old news to the rest of you, but it was new to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Spoon Man:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! Spoon Bread is a religious experience! I've only had it twice. The first time was in one of the special (and pretty pricey) Colonial restaurants in Williamsburg, VA (where people maintain the crafts and practices of colonial days). It was absolutely amazing, one of the most remarkable dishes I've ever eaten. It was so good that my girl friend and I tried to make some ourselves from a recipe that we found. It was...less successful. In fact, it was utter crap! I've been pining for the real thing ever since--and this was 25 years ago! I envy you your new discovery, particularly since you should be able to readily repeat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Fork spoonbread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
OMG! Spoon Bread is a religious experience! ... I've been pining for the real thing ever since--and this was 25 years ago! I envy you your new discovery, particularly since you should be able to readily repeat it.
According to google, it's only a 1 day, 18 hour drive from Manassas to the Country Cat. Shouldn't you drive to get some too?

But seriously, I'm glad somebody else has had this. And why isn't it more well-known? As a breakfast carb, if I had to choose between pancakes, waffles, hash browns, and spoonbread - heck, it'd be spoonbread every time! Maybe it's hard to do it well? That would match with your findings. H'mmm, the secret to good spoonbread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wmshub wrote:
I'd never heard of it before but had some yesterday. It's a soft, very moist, bread; the texture ends up almost like bread pudding. Mine had chunks of ham in it that gave it a bacon-y flavor. It was awesome. For Portlanders, try it at "Country Cat" restaurant - it's over by East 82nd, which is an area I normally avoid, but my wife's friends had recommended the restaurant and we were over that way to hike Powell Butte anyway.

This stuff might be old news to the rest of you, but it was new to me!

Dude, 82nd has some of the best eats in town. If you know where to look. And I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Why isn't it more well-known? As a breakfast carb, if I had to choose between pancakes, waffles, hash browns, and spoonbread - heck, it'd be spoonbread every time! Maybe it's hard to do it well?

It's hard to do well and I think it has something like a billion calories. But it's worth every single one.

BTW, the one I ate had no meat in it--it was almost like a custard. I think it was served as an appetizer, but it would have made a great dessert as well. Hell, I would have had it as the entree!

mmmmm...spoonbread!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
I recommend Spoon Man:[/IMG]

Me too:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.