United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wanted to know what people's opinions were.. this was only for a 2 player game and it seemed to be pretty fun

The initiative track - each player may place one colonist on the track anywhere.. (limit 1 per player)

I liked this because it lets you get money you need (some people may see this as a bad thing) It also can penalize players who do this if they want to be first as well.. because another player can take a smaller amount and still be in front of them on the track.

Truth be told, we just played this wrong from the get go because I forgot about the piece in the rules that said "must fill from left to right"..

Regardless, it was very fun. We plan on trying it the correct way and seeing how that feels. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This should really go under "variants" so it gets its proper exposure. Otherwise you get people like me that tell you this forum is for official rule questions and not variant rule questions.

And for what it's worth, I think the standard way to play is fine. It is not meant as cash generator (which would be the net effect) but as a "reward" for committing to the track and changing the initiative. In other words, there is no real-world theme application for getting the extra cash (such as through income or what not). It is just a game mechanic to balance things.

But you are free to houserule it however you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks!

I'm still a bit green when it comes to this site.. I'll try and figure out a move for this without actually creating another thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Foley
United States
Norwalk
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one variant we have thought about trying on the Initiative Track was that when you place a figure there it immediately changes who is then first. So that you immediately start to resolve with the person in the track as the first player... hence you win tie breakers on that turn's end. It creates a swerve that might be too harsh for the player that is going first but then again you are giving up a placement of a figure just to go first, etc.

Wham that's a big strategy breaker. It's chaotic in a multi-player game and can really foil your plans. Then again, when exploring a new world anything can happen... right Magellan???

The Condor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fahbs2000 wrote:
Even more than this, I think the game needs a way to better balance out the first turn initiative order. Getting 1-5 extra dollars for getting randomly placed last doesn't even begin to compensate for for the random first player to get his choice of starting capital building (getting first crack at Inca Gold or Trade Routes alone blows the $1-$5 advantage out of the water)..

That is why there is the auction variant in the back of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.