Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I've asked this question before, but I can't remember what answer I got, so I'll ask again. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) A collectible card game or a card game that has a CCG look and feel to it. What is that? A card game where players have their individual decks and are playing against each other. A card game where each deck functions a little differently from other decks. A card game that consists of card combos (or at least different strategies and paths towards victory).

2) A one stop purchase. I want to buy what I need all at one time (for under $50) and put it on my shelf, then pull it out to play when I want without further preparation. No booster drafts please.

3) A nice theme is good, but not necessary. What's a good theme? Nothing evil (sorry Satan), no zombies, nothing too silly (I'm talking to you Munchkin), no pro wrestling (sorry WWE Raw, I'm sure you're a great game). I'm OK with fantasy, space, colonization, typical game theme stuff.

4) 2 players is a must, but it'd be nice if I could play with more. 4 players would be great.

5) I'm not interested in Blue Moon or Dominion. I didn't like Blue Moon for some reason (probably because it's more trick taking than CCG) and I'm planning on getting Dominion anyway. Besides, I don't think Dominion falls into this category since it's more about deck building than it is about playing decks against your opponents (like most CCGs).

I'm OK with buying a box of theme decks for a CCG, if it's balanced. For example, I'd be content to buy a theme deck for each color of a set from Magic like 7th edition. But are the decks balanced? Are they purposely kind of weak to taunt me into buying more cards? Shame on you Wizards of the Coast.

Any ideas for something I could pick up that meets these requirements?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like A Game of Thrones: The Card Game is what you are looking for. Takes the Collectible out of the CCG.

I would also suggest either Arcana or Thunderstone as non collectible games. These should be released next month.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystick Domination. Some guy named Eric Lang designed it, you may have heard of some of his recent stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's easy. You're looking for Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...

I don't see any "beer and pretzel" games in your Owned List, but Red Dragon Inn 2 is just as fun as the reviews and comments say it is.

I wouldn't count on the Magic decks being balanced. I've played a variety of them, and some beat the others consistently. And, yes, they *do* come with their "How to make this deck better" lists.

FFG's Minotaur Lords and Scarab Lords were Kneiza's (sp) Eurodesign of CCGs. Also see the FFG Living Card Games, the Warhammer one also designed by Eric Lang. The reviews will tell you how playable the games are with the core set boxes.

Dominion: Intrigue adds more "interaction", which basically messes around with your opponent's decks. It's not critter vs. critter direct confrontation, but moves the focus of the game from deck-building to interfering with other player's decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the new Scary Tales line. Seems about right: classic fantasy theme, plays two or more, premade asymmetric decks and cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Potter Trading Card Game

Out of print, get it cheap on eBay. If you're even a remote fan, you'll have a lot of fun with it. Seriously. It's a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also going to suggest Harry Potter Trading Card Game, but if you get a big box of boosters that would require you to make some decks. You could go with the handful of pre-made decks but that might get boring quickly.

Many people say the gameplay of Jambo is CCG-like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. It sounds like the new Warhammer: Invasion LCG by Fantasy Flight would fit your requirements and it seems to be very well received by those that have commented on it so far. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Mystick Domination. Some guy named Eric Lang designed it, you may have heard of some of his recent stuff.

I hadnt followed this guy until Chaos in the Old World which is nothing less than fantastic.

I'd go with citadels in the card genre without a doubt. Especially 2 player it is an intense game of anticipating your opponents movements which I have not experienced as intensely in any other game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check into Race for the Galaxy. I don't play much in the way of CCG, but from what I've played it has a CCG feel without making you pay a huge bundle of money
You can get the base game, 1st and 2nd expansions expansion (which are all that exists right now since its not an actual CCG) for just about $50 total. (from boards and bits I think it adds up to about $52).

In the 1st expansion it has rules for a deck building varient if you want personal decks for each person. I've tried that varient before a couple times and its quite fun.
There's lots of strategies and combos you can do in the game.

It also plays GREAT with 2 players, and also great with more, up to 6 with both expansions. The most I've played is 5, and I love every game I play of it.

Oh and if you want to check what answer you got previously to the quesiton, you can go to your profile, click on contributions and click to get histories of your past posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd second the 'A Game of Thrones LCG' recommendation. It really does sound like the game that best fits your listed specification.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of really good games have been mentioned in this thread, but I honestly think that AGOT is the one that matches your criteria the closest.

Driver 8 wrote:
1) A collectible card game or a card game that has a CCG look and feel to it. What is that? A card game where players have their individual decks and are playing against each other. A card game where each deck functions a little differently from other decks. A card game that consists of card combos (or at least different strategies and paths towards victory).

Firstly, it fits all of your 'is a CCG' requirements:

Feels like a CCG. Check (after all, prior to the distribution method switch, it was one).

Each players bring individual decks. Check.

Individuals play against each other. Check.

Each deck is trying to win in a distinctly different fashion. Check (be it a quick power-grab rush, a slow lock-down approach, or a simple 'kill all of the dudes who don't look like my friends' war, AGOT offers a wealth of different strategic options).

Cards combo with other cards. Check (like you wouldn't believe, once you've played your first couple of games).

Driver 8 wrote:
2) A one stop purchase. I want to buy what I need all at one time (for under $50) and put it on my shelf, then pull it out to play when I want without further preparation. No booster drafts please.

Yep, AGOT can do this. No drafting is required and no matter how you choose to invest in it (within reason) it'll happily serve up four (/five) pre-made decks whenever you need.

Depending on how much money you have in your pocket, you can either just pick up the core-set (giving you four basic, slightly modable, decks), pick up two core-sets (giving you four very modable decks), pick up a core-set and a single big expansion (giving you five basic decks), or pick up a core-set and a cycle of chapter packs (giving you at least four decks, all of which will be open to sweeping customisation).

The earlier approaches will probably give you change from $50 (especially if you shop around), the later not so much.

Basically, it's another home-run on your spec.

Driver 8 wrote:
a good theme? ... I'm OK with fantasy

That's exactly what AGOT is. Fits your bill perfectly.

Driver 8 wrote:
2 players is a must, but it'd be nice if I could play with more. 4 players would be great.

Even if you only buy a single core-set AGOT happily rolls with 2-4 players. Again, fits your specifications perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarab Lords and Minotaur Lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena or Tower Siege

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for pauper MTG

Commons-only, you build decks with 10 dollars and have heaps of fun

If you are from the anti-MTG armada, I'd follow those LCG advices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of WARS Trading Card Game, myself. It's a dead CCG that is similar to Decipher's Star Wars CCG. You can get all 6 preconstructed decks and 2 booster boxes for just $20:
http://www.wholesalegaming.biz/wars/wars2box6decklot/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a war game? Lightning: Poland is unfortunately only for 2 players. Each player also has their own goal.

How about something from the HeroCard system? They aren't strictly card games, but each player has his own deck used for combat. The style of play varies from deck to deck. Most of the games are 2 player out of the box but can be expanded to 4 by getting the expansion packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicorniclops wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

I hadnt followed this guy until Chaos in the Old World which is nothing less than fantastic.

I'd go with citadels in the card genre without a doubt. Especially 2 player it is an intense game of anticipating your opponents movements which I have not experienced as intensely in any other game

I'll second the two player version/variant of Citadels. We have been playing a lot of it lately and it sure is fun. Cheap too.

For a more traditional CCG we also play a lot of Call of Cthulhu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darksurtur wrote:
Check out the new Scary Tales line. Seems about right: classic fantasy theme, plays two or more, premade asymmetric decks and cheap.

LOL, that's great! It's Knizia for me and it's Disney for my girlfriend. I'll have to look into this one (although I don't know if she'll accept the theme as 'Disney').

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena was sold on Tanga a couple times. Perhaps you can pick it up cheap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixie: Gettysburg
or even better
Eagles: Waterloo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jools Thomas
Japan
Takarazuka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Jools wrote:
I also recommend Race for the Galaxy.

Race is fantastic but if you want a more CCG style experience you'll want to add the Drafting rules (which are officially implemented in the first expansion, but playable to start)

Since you seemed more interested in more "traditional" style games, however, I'm adding to the suggestions to check out the Fantasy Flight LCGs ("Living Card Games"), like A Game of Thrones, though I haven't played them. They appear to be exactly what you're looking for. And if you want more options down the road, they're expandable, but it's not like you're purchasing random cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Games that want to get out."
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
That's easy. You're looking for Netrunner.

That's exactly what I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.