Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions came up in our last game:

1. If a minion is in a haven, and a hero moves into that haven, does combat occur? Originally, I thought no combat occured in a haven unless the hero allowed it, but after re-reading the rules, I now don't think that's the case. The Ambush step specifically states the hero has the choice to allow combat or not, but the "Combat or Peril" portion of the Travel step does not include that statement. If the location is perilous and/or a monster/minion is present, Sauron must apply peril or attack.

2. If there is no influence left in the influence box, what happens if Sauron takes the Place Influence action? Can he redistribute influence already on locations, or his he out of luck?

3. If a hero enters combat with The Mouth of Sauron, and the corruption card is Wretched, does the combat still occur? We decided it did not occur. I believe this question was asked before, but I don't recall seeing a definitive answer.

4. Is there a limit to the number of corruption cards a hero can have? In my last game, one hero ended the game with 7 corruption.

5. In combat, if both combatants play the card (Anticipate?) that requires the other player to play their next card first and face up, how is that resolved? The rule for resolving previous round abilities states the hero resolves his card first, but that rule can't apply to Anticipate, because that rule assumes the next round of combat cards were already played and revealed.

I think that's it. Thanks for your help. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
3. If a hero enters combat with The Mouth of Sauron, and the corruption card is Wretched, does the combat still occur? We decided it did not occur. I believe this question was asked before, but I don't recall seeing a definitive answer.

Did you look for "Wretched" in the rules forum?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3937056#3937056

Quote:
5. In combat, if both combatants play the card (Anticipate?) that requires the other player to play their next card first and face up, how is that resolved? The rule for resolving previous round abilities states the hero resolves his card first, but that rule can't apply to Anticipate, because that rule assumes the next round of combat cards were already played and revealed.

This is in the rules or FAQ. The two Anticipate cards cancel each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian White
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
2. If there is no influence left in the influence box, what happens if Sauron takes the Place Influence action? Can he redistribute influence already on locations, or his he out of luck?

I'm pretty sure the beginning of the rules (where it goes over the components) says that the components are not limiting, but I don't have the rules in front of me to confirm this.

mvettemagred wrote:

This is covered in the online FAQ. Neither card is played face up in the following round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
1. If a minion is in a haven, and a hero moves into that haven, does combat occur? Originally, I thought no combat occured in a haven unless the hero allowed it, but after re-reading the rules, I now don't think that's the case. The Ambush step specifically states the hero has the choice to allow combat or not, but the "Combat or Peril" portion of the Travel step does not include that statement. If the location is perilous and/or a monster/minion is present, Sauron must apply peril or attack.

P. 18: "Note that minions are allowed to move into Haven locations,
but Sauron cannot initiate combat against a hero in a Haven
location unless the hero allows it."

P. 27: "Combat never occurs in Haven locations, unless the hero allows for the combat to take place." (edited the correct page)

Quote:

"If players run out of favor, influence, or damage tokens, add
suitable replacements to the game (such as coins, beads, etc.).
All other components are strictly limited to the ones provided." (p. 35)

Quote:

No combat, official word in the thread title Wretched.

Quote:
4. Is there a limit to the number of corruption cards a hero can have? In my last game, one hero ended the game with 7 corruption.

Lucky bastard, I've topped at 6 ! No limit. Makes "Morgul Blade" kinda nasty.

Quote:

FAQ: "Q: What happens if both combatants play the “Anticipate” card during the
same combat round.
A: Neither ability would be resolved on the following round of
combat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. After two reads of the rulebook, countless references back to it, and five plays of the game, you would think I'd know the rules by now.

The only quibble I have with the combat-in-havens rule is they should have reinforced it in the Combat or Peril portion of the Travel Step on p. 22. By mentioning the rule in the Ambush Step but not the Combat or Peril step, it's easy to be misled. When a hero is in the Combat or Peril step, it's natural to look there for a ruling on whether or not combat would occur. I wouldn't have thought to look in the preamble of the Combat section. That section should be about how a combat works, not when it occurs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with matthew on this. It should be in the Travel step. This threw our last game off a little bit because sauron placed minions in havens to protect the plots. But glad i know this now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Sylvan
Sweden
STOCKHOLM
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
A related question, on "Combat in havens".

What if the hero allows for combat, but is defeated?
Is he returned to the same haven (ie , not moved at all) or another one?`

I assume that he just don't budge, but ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Perry wrote:
A related question, on "Combat in havens".

What if the hero allows for combat, but is defeated?
Is he returned to the same haven (ie , not moved at all) or another one?`

I assume that he just don't budge, but ..

The closest Haven would be the one he is in, so he stays there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.