Subject: Companion personalities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick idea I thought I'd run by people following the development of the game.

This is an optional rule that would go in an appendix.

Why not give Companions personality quirks to distinguish between them so they are more than just a set of Traits and Qualities?

Established companions like Rose, Martha, Donna etc, could have set personalities (put in the appendix to avoid rewrites) but new Companions could have randomly rolled ones.

Personality quirks would not be Traits but exist to modify situations

Eg 'Independent' might wander off more often if Exploring

'Loyal' might add +1 to the Companion leaves roll

'Compassionate' might not leave any Victims behind.

Other quirks could br Headstrong (does not run from fights...), Stubborn, Curious, etc etc.

What do people think?

What kind of personalities can we think of? What would you give existing companions? Say 2 each?

Would you extend it to the Doctor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stock
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. I'm not sure if it would work as applied to the Doctor, as companions work a little differently.

Another thing that occurs to me, is that you probably don't want to use a 2d6 table for this, as the 7 would become a trait you'd see over and over again. As far as personalities go, each should have an equal chance of being rolled, so either a 1d6, or a 1d6 by 1d6 or 1d3 by 1d3 table would work nicely. Or something of that nature.

Here's a few traits:
Friendly...unfriendly
Superstitious...uninquisitive
pathological liar...overly honest
gullible...street smart
egotistical...humble
sociopath...subservient
reactionary...strategic
dense...philosopher
intuitive...unintuitive
charming...abrasive
Clumsy
Cautious...Bold
Forgetful...Great Memory
Outgoing...withdrawn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for the list - some nice examples there .

Yes - probably not the Doctor and yes, it has to be an 'equal ops' die roll!

So, what would you assign to Rose? Donna? Jack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stock
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to include the Doctor, you could make a little 1d6 table specifically for him with all positive traits taken from the companion attributes. (Well, maybe not all positive. I could see egotistical slipping its way into the mix.)

I haven't watched enough episodes of the new series to assign attributes to companions. But thanks to this game, I will be ordering the four season pack when it comes out this October. I wonder how many plot spoilers I've played through...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brianstock wrote:
If you really want to include the Doctor, you could make a little 1d6 table specifically for him with all positive traits taken from the companion attributes. (Well, maybe not all positive. I could see egotistical slipping its way into the mix.)

I haven't watched enough episodes of the new series to assign attributes to companions. But thanks to this game, I will be ordering the four season pack when it comes out this October. I wonder how many plot spoilers I've played through...whistle

Well I'm chuffed you've ordeed the 4 Season box set on the back of my game.

I'm sure you'll recognise times and places....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do people think of these rules?

R315. Appendix 4: Companion Personalities

This is an optional set of rules to make Companions slightly more varied and interesting. When you gain a new Companion, roll once on the table below and then see the descriptions of the personalities and the modifiers they cause. If your Companion is one that has been established from the TV show, see r315b.

At the end of an Adventure you may use 3 Luck points to buy a new personality type, or pay 2 Luck points to lose one. A Companion may never have more than 3 personality types.

1-2 3-4 5-6
1 Brash Protective Untrustworthy
2 Dedicated Headstrong Jealous
3 Compassionate Resourceful Independent
4 Moral Code Quick Thinking Indolent
5 Appealing Curious Adventurous
6 Determined Awestruck Natural Leader

R315a. Personality Types

Adventurous – This Companion has a spirit of adventure. Each time you land on at an Adventure Location where they are not Native and have not previously visited, gain a point.

Appealing – This Companion is very good-looking and charming and gains an extra Charisma Trait when Talking to Characters (not Enemies) of the opposite sex.

Awestruck – This Companion is a little overawed by their travels in the TARDIS. Whilst they are at an Adventure Location where they are not native,, they are -1 to all Qualities.

Best of Friends – This Companion has proved to be one of your best friends. A Companion may only gain this personality when they have completed 6 Adventures with you. When this Companion is with you, you gain +1 to all Qualities.

Brash – Each time this Character is present when there is a Charisma roll they must make a Brains roll. If they fail, then the Charisma roll is made with a -1 penalty.

Compassionate – This Companion will not leave other Characters in danger by running away. Lose 1 point for each Victim that are killed

Curious – This Companion cannot help but go looking for danger. Add +2 to Investigate as an Action if the Companion is not with the Doctor.

Dedicated – This Companion must have Computers, Science, Engineering or Medicine to have this Personality and must choose one of them. When doing Research as an Action with this chosen Trait, they gain an extra +1 to the roll if the Doctor is not with them.

Determined – This Companion can be stubborn and has a very strong mind. Whenever the Companion is required to make a Bravery roll, they may gain a Domination Trait.

Headstrong – This Companion will not Evade an encounter unless the total Brawn of opposing Characters is at least three times your own total Brawn.

Independent – This Companion likes nothing better than striking out alone and seeing what’s out there! They gain +2 to an Explore Action if without the Doctor.

Indolent – This Companion likes the better things in life and taking it easy. They will always choose to Relax as an Action whenever possible.

Jealous – This Companion want to travel in the TARDIS with just you as company – three’s a crowd. If there are other Companions with you then this Companion is -1 to all Qualities

Loyal – A Companion may only gain this Personality when they have completed 4 Adventures with you (except Rose Tyler). This Companion wants to stay travelling in the TARDIS with you forever and is excluded from any random selection as a result of a Companion Leaving roll.

Moral Code – This Companion has a strong sense of justice. They have +3 to any Quality when trying to reach a Goal event.

Natural Leader – This Companion has natural leadership qualities. When they are not with the Doctor, any Allies with them are +1 to all Qualities

Protective – Choose another TARDIS Character for this Companion to protect. If that Character is about to be killed and this Companion is with them, they can take a Wound to prevent it.

Quick Thinking – This Companion has knows how to make sharp decisions. Once per turn, you can re-roll a Trait roll that involves one of their Traits if the Companion makes a Brains roll.

Resourceful – This Companion always seems to be able to do the right thing when it counts. When facing a Goal, Plot or Danger event requiring one of their Traits, he or she is +1 to all Qualities.

Untrustworthy – This Companion might not always have everyone’s best interests at heart. When they are not with the Doctor (except when captured) they must make a successful Bravery roll to choose an Action. If they fail then they are inactive for the turn.

R315b. Famous Companions

When you encounter these Companions, they automatically have the following Personality types:
e090: Rose Tyler – Loyal, Jealous
e106: Martha Jones – Compassionate, Resourceful
e109: Donna Noble – Brash, Quick Thinking
e021: Captain Jack Harkness – Appealing, Headstrong
e022: Sarah Jane Smith – Curious, Moral Code
e004: Mickey Smith – Clumsy, Protective (Rose Tyler)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stock
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a little more busy lately, so just now seeing this. This looks great. Just a few copy editing things on the pdf:

Mickey has clumsy as a trait, but it doesn't look like clumsy made it into the final cut.

Also, loyal and jealous got into the same paragraph in the pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah good catch - Mickey should have 'Awestruck' instead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.