Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Strategy article is up on FFG website. Haven't digested it yet to see if it has anything helpful though!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=812
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read it and am more convinced that a Nurgle Dial Victory is practically impossible (technically it's possible but you would have to be playing with people who are not even trying to win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faethorlv wrote:
Read it and am more convinced that a Nurgle Dial Victory is practically impossible (technically it's possible but you would have to be playing with people who are not even trying to win).

I saw a Nurgle victory yesterday, and it was most certainly against people who were trying to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Faethorlv wrote:

I saw a Nurgle victory yesterday, and it was most certainly against people who were trying to win.

Nugle victory or Nurgle dial victory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Strategy article is up on FFG website. Haven't digested it yet to see if it has anything helpful though!

Fourth sentence in the article:

Quote:
"Getting one dial advancement token is fine, but the player who wants to claim the dial up victory will need to be consistently getting two, three, or even four dial advancements a turn. "

Sounds like the guy who wrote it doesn't even understand the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
Nugle victory or Nurgle dial victory?

Ah, thanks, I missed that. It was a point track victory, not a dial victory. Nurgle is certainly s strong contender, but is best suited for points, not clicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

I think he's just taking shortcuts. Earlier in the sentence he did use the term "dial advancement tokens".

Just bad terminology on his part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Fourth sentence in the article:

Quote:
"Getting one dial advancement token is fine, but the player who wants to claim the dial up victory will need to be consistently getting two, three, or even four dial advancements a turn. "

Actually, he does, I think it's all a misspelling. He says:
'but the player who wants to claim the dial up victory will need to be consistently getting two, three, or even four dial advancements a turn.'

But he means 'four dial advancement tokens a turn'.

And later on he states:
'Gaining four dial advancements is excellent, but nets you nothing if any other player gets the same. You need to be the god with the most dial advancements to gain the extra tick of the dial.'

Which shows he knows the rules.

PS the article is very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
...Which shows he knows the rules.

PS the article is very interesting.

Ah, maybe I'll have another look then. I stopped reading when I hit that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting ideas in there but I disagree with a lot of his "tips." He talks about a nurgle dial victory as if it is possible, which it isn't if you are playing against 3 other competent players. He doesn't mention nurgle's cultist upgrade, which is really strong and helps nurgle with his VP victory through ruination- which is where nurgle really shines.

His Tzeentch tips include using teleport to move a cultist out of a region- what a waste of one of the stronger cards in TZ's deck! For the same 1 power point you could just move the cultist by hand. Teleport is great for colonizing the other side of the board, or moving other people's dudes around as a defensive measure or to ensure yourself a double dial advancement if you are going that route (I don't often try for a dial advancement win with Tzeentch but the faster you get an upgrade with him the better).

I won't comment on his slaanesh tips since I haven't played as slaanesh yet...

It looks like this is the first in a series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is a series and this one is focusing on Threat Dial wins. So it is going to tell you how to win that way. For most games, Nurgle won't go after the dial win. It would be interesting to see a wrap up article that compares and contrasts each god with the 3 victory paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
Some interesting ideas in there but I disagree with a lot of his "tips." He talks about a nurgle dial victory as if it is possible, which it isn't if you are playing against 3 other competent players. He doesn't mention nurgle's cultist upgrade, which is really strong and helps nurgle with his VP victory through ruination- which is where nurgle really shines.

His Tzeentch tips include using teleport to move a cultist out of a region- what a waste of one of the stronger cards in TZ's deck! For the same 1 power point you could just move the cultist by hand. Teleport is great for colonizing the other side of the board, or moving other people's dudes around as a defensive measure or to ensure yourself a double dial advancement if you are going that route (I don't often try for a dial advancement win with Tzeentch but the faster you get an upgrade with him the better).

I won't comment on his slaanesh tips since I haven't played as slaanesh yet...

It looks like this is the first in a series?

I thought some of the tips were odd too. It suggests that you can 'protect' Nurgle's cultists by building military units, but that of course won't protect them since other players can always choose to kill the cultists anyway. I've only played twice, but it seems so far that everyone just kills cultists unless the opponent is Khorne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeha, you can't really "protect" anyone but you can deter them a bit. Khorne can easily go after Cultists with no retribution. You put a Plaguebearer in there and now they may start taking hits. It becomes a more expensive endeavour to keep going after the dial advancement tokens (if you are Khorne) in that region. So maybe you start looking elsewhere where you can sustain your attacks without such high risk of losing your warriors.

I think the articles are better suited to give you some other things to look at when playing. Everyone assumes Nurgle should just go for points since the Dial is a massive use of resources. But if you have some other ideas, you can keep options open and maybe strike down that path if the opportunity opens itself up.

Unfortunately, I can't get this game to the table enough with experienced players as competition. But I would love to set a goal to win with each god with each of the victory paths and see how it would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattwran
United States
LONGMEADOW
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I think the articles are better suited to give you some other things to look at when playing. Everyone assumes Nurgle should just go for points since the Dial is a massive use of resources. But if you have some other ideas, you can keep options open and maybe strike down that path if the opportunity opens itself up.

Unfortunately, I can't get this game to the table enough with experienced players as competition. But I would love to set a goal to win with each god with each of the victory paths and see how it would work.

Yeah, I'm really liking this game so far, but my one concern is that it seems that Nurgle and Khorne are definitely encouraged to pursue one particular path to victory. I'm not sure why they would have designed the game this way as it would be more interesting if all the gods could go either way. In particular, I'm worried about Khorne. It is a lot of fun to play him no doubt, but he doesn't seem as strategically or tactically interesting as the other three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at Khorne as being in the game to appease your AT friends to play Eurogames with you

laugh

I will try a VP strategy with Khorne sometime after I've played this a bunch in the typical fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stay away from strategy articles until I've formed my own ideas about how to play a game. The fact I read this one after only three plays indicates I don't that I don't think there are any deep secrets in Chaos. Nothing in the article made me think differently.

Everybody will understand what they should be doing with a given god after 2 or 3 games. The fun derives from executing well in complex and rapidly changing circumstances, and figuring out how your opponents will act.

It's a great game, but I don't think strategy articles will add much to it, because strategy is basically pretty simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattwran wrote:
Yeah, I'm really liking this game so far, but my one concern is that it seems that Nurgle and Khorne are definitely encouraged to pursue one particular path to victory.

Asymmetric games are tricky to design well. Even if each god had only one path to victory, and it differed from the others, I'd be happy. If there are in fact six viable paths, that's a bonus.

And hey, if I'm teaching newbies, I will probably take a crack at a point victory with Khorne or a dial victory with Nurgle. Great way to balance things a bit and keep it interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a khorne vp victory was easy, GW fluff fanatics would be complaining it wasn't fluffy. Nurgle dial victory could have been a little easier, but I find people going for vp wins encourages interaction. Nurgle trying to get in on other ruinations just feels right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
In the game we just played Khorne raced to a victory point win, but she (Khorne been my girlfriend) was also only 3 ticks from her dial victory too. The only draw back of dial victory for Khorne and Nurgle is that they need more ticks then the other two, I wouldn't say that it's any harder for them to earn ticks then any other power though (if anything Khorne was getting the most and scored 3/4 tokens per round). goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen, it's easiest for Khorn to get two advancements in a turn.

Everyone else is very territory specific with theirs, and Khorn can take complete advantage of that, especially Nurgle.

As long as you don't care that your warriors may die every turn once turn 2 or 3 hits (when other players start playing offensively) you should be able to still get 3 or 4 advancement tokens every round.

The game seems to be well balanced for 4 players, as Khorn is there to keep the other players in check, but the Khorn player needs to understand this and hit everyone else equally. Not hitting someone, especially in their dial advancement location is detrimental to you, as a Khorn player.

Also, HIT SLANEESH EARLY because as soon as they get that 2 defense cultist the other players become a much better target. I think if you can prevent Slaneesh from getting their first tick in the first round it probably bodes best for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
His Tzeentch tips include using teleport to move a cultist out of a region- what a waste of one of the stronger cards in TZ's deck! For the same 1 power point you could just move the cultist by hand.

Playing the Teleport in the region gives you one point towards domination, so it's not exactly the same.

BTW, Khorne victory by points is not that hard -- with all that fighty goodness (and Skull Thrones) you can dominate large sections of the board pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Quote:
His Tzeentch tips include using teleport to move a cultist out of a region- what a waste of one of the stronger cards in TZ's deck! For the same 1 power point you could just move the cultist by hand.

Playing the Teleport in the region gives you one point towards domination, so it's not exactly the same.

BTW, Khorne victory by points is not that hard -- with all that fighty goodness (and Skull Thrones) you can dominate large sections of the board pretty easily.

Not to mention the Bloodthirster upgrade. Ive seen Khorne win with points more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One cool thing is that Khorne really wants to beat on Slaanesh early, which mirrors the traditional fluff hatred between those two gods. I don't really see the same thing between nurgle and tzeentch but maybe with more experience the reasons those two want to fight each other will become more obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.