United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
My Fiance and I are getting married soon and thought it would be fun to assign people to their tables based on a game (i.e. instead of sitting at table 37, they will be sent to table Citadels). At the end of the night, some 'lucky' person gets to keep the centerpiece. We are also giving away artscow cards with us on the back as party favors. A bit narcissistic, but I think my grandmother will like it.

Most people are traveling to the wedding, so I want to make sure that they games are fairly portable (no Twilight Imperium 3), fairly light, and good fun.

Clearly not all the games will be liked by everyone, but I want to pick out some games that people will enjoy. I have a tentative list in mind, but wanted to poll the group to see what people come up with.

I also want games that aren't too expensive, but I am willing to spend some cash.

I'm looking for 10 games total

My list so far:
Travel Settlers
Travel Carcasonne
Citadels
Lost Cities (not one of my favorites, but popular enough)
Puerto Rico (ok, a bit big, but my Fiance loves this one)
Bang (maybe the bullet? I've only played once, but this seems like it would fit the bill)
Modern Art
Aquire (maybe too big, but an old standby)

Thanks for your help.

Abe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Meepile... simple and effective.

You can probably get them colored as per your wedding colors too...

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at the Gryphon Line: High Society, Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, Unnamed Object, Money! have all been touted as very good fillers and a good bit of fun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games such as

Tichu
Frank's Zoo

and others in that size box. If you want to go bigger Bohnanza, Colossal Arena or other FFG Silver line games might be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your games idea. We were going to have a game table at our wedding where people could sit and play, but I had a hard time coming up with enough games that were simple enough or could be dumbed down enough to have the rules on a small sheet while remaining interesting. We got some nice Chessex dice as our favors instead.

Bananagrams
Scrabble Apple
Battle Line (very off-theme, but you might try one of the variant decks posted on BGG to make a little more theme appropriate if that bothers you)
Blokus Duo
Hive
Unnamed Object
Wizard
Ticket to Ride: The Card Game

These all seem to fit the bill. Congrats! Enjoy the wedding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wallace E. Friedel II
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirt of the event how about the Kosmos 2-Player Series.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kosmos_two-player_ser...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza.
Fairy Tale.
Pickomino.
Blokus Duo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could get some of the gigamic games like Quoridor or Quarto or Pylos and set them up on the tables. Or maybe some of the GIPF games?

Some other games that wouldn't take up too much space and aren't too complicated:
Hive
Jungle Speed
Blokus Duo
Hula Hippos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal I think this one shows well and well be well received by non gamers.

Others:
Bohnanza
10 Days in Africa or any of the other 10 days.
Apples to Apples
Slide 5

Tongue in check Relationship Tightrope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treehouse, CrackeD ICE, and Zendo on every table!

Seriously fun idea.

Congrats on the nuptials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Puerto Rico then the smaller San Juan should work nicely. Other games that might fit the bill:
Fjords
Terra Nova
Saint Petersburg
Wings of War: Famous Aces
TransAmerica or Trans Europa
Through the Desert (maybe a little big, but the bits are pretty)
and speaking of pretty bits
Shear Panic

Oh and congrats!
-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.

Do you want people actually playing games at the wedding? If so, then party games are a better bet.

*However* you mention centerpieces, and I'm also thinking you should pick use Eurogames as decorations on the table. For example, with Carcassonne, you could mount some times and a meeple onto cardboard with blu-tak for a decoration -- such as a legal setup for six players. Out of the Box games has several word games with letter pieces, and you could have the boards spelling out names. Say Anything has its dry-erase boards and you could have the wedding invitation words on it in handwriting. If Modern Art has little stands for the art pieces, put family photos on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Games (425) 353-5584
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your wedding!

A few that come to mind for pricing, table size (I'm guessing six to eight per table?) and portability:

Fluxx (and its many variants)
Bohnanza
No Thanks
Cloud 9 (for a table with multiple children)
Scrabble (for grandparents table, etc)
LCR
Bang
Coloretto
Tsuro
Squint

Good luck!

Phoenix Games
11811 Mukilteo Speedway, #110
Mukilteo, WA 98275
(425) 353-5584
www.phoenixgamesandgifts.com
www.meetup.com/phoenix-games
www.myspace.com/phoenix_games
Facebook: Phoenix Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Hmm.

Do you want people actually playing games at the wedding? If so, then party games are a better bet.

*However* you mention centerpieces, and I'm also thinking you should pick use Eurogames as decorations on the table. For example, with Carcassonne, you could mount some times and a meeple onto cardboard with blu-tak for a decoration -- such as a legal setup for six players. Out of the Box games has several word games with letter pieces, and you could have the boards spelling out names. Say Anything has its dry-erase boards and you could have the wedding invitation words on it in handwriting. If Modern Art has little stands for the art pieces, put family photos on them.

I like the centerpieces idea, but neither of us are remotely handy/creative enough to actually pull that off.

I don't think we want people playing during the reception, we were thinking mostly of drinking/dancing/drinking some more. BUT we are getting married on a Friday night in Cabo, which leaves Saturday wide open to lay by the pool with breaks to alternate between swimming and playing Tichu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone so far for the congratulations and for the suggestions. There are a lot of good games listed above.

So far, of the suggestions I've heard of, I might try:
Money!
San Juan
For Sale (not on the list, but I've wanted to try it, and it usually has a pretty good rep)
Coloretto

and maybe some of the others listed above. I'll have to see if I can get Tier Auf Tier for the kids table (although I suspect that I may really enjoy that game).

Later tonight or tomorrow I'll research some of the other suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
I like the centerpieces idea, but neither of us are remotely handy/creative enough to actually pull that off.

Well, if you can place Carc tiles on a table, you can make a Carc centerpiece. If you have a scrapbook'er, I'm sure she'll be able to come up with something. Oh, and O Zoo Le Mio has purdy tiles and meeples.

Keep her away from the Space Hulk set, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea is super cute.

Killer Bunnies isn't very big

(And, uh, at the risk of sounding crude, it sounds okay to say, "You're at the Citadels" table, but you might get some looks if you have a "Bang Table". blush )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal

Michigan
msg tools
mb
Blink
Cosmic Wimpout
Pass the Pigs
Red November

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonial One wrote:
This idea is super cute.

(And, uh, at the risk of sounding crude, it sounds okay to say, "You're at the Citadels" table, but you might get some looks if you have a "Bang Table". blush )

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm definitely going to have to have a Bang table, I'll just have to choose carefully who gets to sit there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Looker
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Colonial One wrote:
This idea is super cute.

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm definitely going to have to have a Bang table, I'll just have to choose carefully who gets to sit there.

Absolutely true. The one thing I didn't expect on my wedding night was all the innuendo and even blatant suggestiveness of everyone about what would happen at the end of the night.

Anyhow, I'd second many of the suggestions I see above, but if you have many non-gamerly sorts, what about games like Farkle, Phase 10, or Canasta? For the gamerly sorts, I haven't seen Witch's Brew mentioned, and that would look attractive for sure. Dunno who you'd wanna sit at the Witch's Brew table, though...have many combo gamer/Homestar fan friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Blokus Duo
Blink
Zitternix
Animal Upon Animal(and not just for the kids)
You Robot
Loco Motive
Bananagrams
Tai Chi Chuan
Qwirkle Cubes
Sushizock im Gockelwok
Los Banditos
Big Points
Liar's Dice
Haba's "Who Am I?" (20 questions with the guesser wearing an indentity on his/her forehead)
Split Personality
Who? What? Where? Jr.
Pass the Bomb Junior

Ideally, you'd plant a gamer at each table and tell him/her in advance what game they'll get and ask them to prep the rules. Very little chance anyone will read the rules on the spot. While playing won't seem anti-social or disengaged (you put the games there), rules-reading will be social awkward and it's not an environment conducive to study!!

Lots of the ones I've suggested are 2p. I think it's easier to get people playing when you don't need lots of people to join in. And once someone's playing, others will watch and a few of the watchers will subsequently play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Good games that are small...my personal list:

Before I Kill You, Mister Spy...
Cold War: CIA vs KGB
Lightning: Midway – June 4th to June 6th, 1942 (wargame option)

...salud.

I'll back to catching bats now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash and Guns would be interesting....do all the in-laws get on ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

My wife and I got married over Memorial Day weekend (May 23rd) of this year, and used games as centerpieces for our wedding.

Diane Close was kind enough to put together a geeklist discussing our wedding. Items 5 and 6 talk about our centerpieces:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42875

We were hoping people would play the games at the reception, but that turned out to not work all that great. Diane's comment summed up the reasons really well:

Quote:
The games that got played tended to have either durable plastic pieces, like Blokus, or tiles like Metro, where you could pick up and move one piece at a time. Card games were much more difficult to manage and juggle along with plates of food and drinks. It's a lot harder to hold a hand of cards than it is to pick up and place a single tile.

I would guess similar issues could come up for playing poolside.

Congratulations again, and please pass along best wishes to your significant other, I'm sure whatever you go with will work great!

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H J

London
msg tools
badge
mb
I've not played this, but I saw it on a YouTube video. It seems simple and fun Cubiko.

I skimmed the thread, so apologies if it's already been suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.