Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviewing this game will be myself, your slightly competent author, and Olimar, a certified Galaxy Trucker residing on the Planet Debes III.

The Setting
Galaxy truckers. They are the bravest of the brave. Earning the much deserved respect and dumb-struck awe from every child across the land, these men and women have long forgotten the meaning of the word “fear.” A few of them never learned the meaning of the word to begin with, or other words such as: “danger”, “impossible”, or “the.” While public schools on Planet Debes III have seen a downturn in student performance over the years, they never fail to turn out a steady supply of galaxy truckers ready to throw their very lives at a job which probably isn’t worth it. In truth, it’s a bad idea to sign that job contract with Corporation Inc. Just don’t tell them, because I think their certain doom is hilarious.

Olimar “aka Fly Trucker” describes the components

Okay, what we basically have here is a veritable warehouse full of crap you probably wouldn’t trust to hold together on a trip to pick up bread and milk, but we get to use this junk to build a ship destined for the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Man we’re stupid.

Anyways, at least we get tons of parts to choose from: single and double engines, shields, crew cabins, cannons, and much more. We have to build our ships on these planning boards created by Corporation Inc. This can make it tricky, especially with the recent boom in prospective galaxy truckers. It seems like everyone’s rushing to build their ship first these days…We get three different ship outlines to use, depending how far we are along in our short life...err...career as Galaxy Truckers.

Author’s note: there are a total of 8 ship boards, lots of cool tiles used to build your ship, wooden cubes, super cool plastic space-men, neat glass “batteries,” a master board where everyone logs their space days, and cardboard credits (money). The components are really fantastic, and add much to the fun. The game is pricey, but you are getting some really cool components for your money. My boards are a little warped, but that’s because of how they are shipped. They should flatten if I can stop playing long enough to lay some heavy books on them. Trust me; you won’t care much once you start playing.

Olimar presents : Rules of the galaxy

Right, so these ship parts are not just shaky as a contract with Corporation Inc., they must also be put together a certain way. There are two main phases in a journey of a galaxy trucker. First we all run for the component warehouse and grab one ship component at a time (trust me, that’s all these rusty shopping carts can hold). Then, we see if we can make it work on our ship planning board so generously provided for us. If it's not gonna work, we return it asap to the warehouse, or maybe set it aside for later in our storage area. This area holds at most two ship components at a time, and once we decide to keep it, it’s ours for good. The return policy at Corporation Inc. is terrible. And by terrible, I mean there isn’t one.

These finicky parts only fit together when we match the connectors. Single attaches to a single, double on double, but the universal connectors will fit any connector. Of course, engines have to face the back of the ship. (duh) And you need empty space behind an engine. Cannons can face any direction, but usually work better facing the front of the ship. That way, we can face those blasted space pirates head on. Those parasites deserve an early grave stone on the nearest star! Just be sure to leave space in front of the cannon. How will you explain to your family when your face is blown off by a cannon placed right behind your crew quarters? You won’t explain it, because you’ll be DEAD.

Speaking of crew quarters, only two of us can fit in one of those cramped rooms, so we need plenty of cabins on our ship. We can’t forget the shields or battery compartments either (those power the shields and double engines/cannons). For those modern thinkers who are okay with mixing species, you can also add components which make your cabins inhabitable by the alien life forms of the galaxy. They each get their own cabin, of course. You don’t want to be in there with them anyways. The odor is unbearable. Dear God the stench….

After building the ship, it’s time to put her to the test.

Part two of our mission is to survive the perils of space as we deliver our ship to the farthest, dumpiest, most remote parts of the galaxy. We face meteor storms, intense combat zones, attack from those damnable space pirates, and even slave ships show their ugly heads from time to time (Poor Bill, I swear we'll come for you my brother!). But our real reason for doing the crazy things we do, is picking up cargo at various planets on our trip. You see, Corporation Inc. will buy this cargo from us when we return. I don’t even ask what is in some of these crates. Let’s just say ignorance is bliss, or it at least lets me sleep at night. Corp. Inc. will also reward the fastest drivers and the best built ships upon our return. I think they’re just playing with us. I mean, why do they care who has the best looking ship when we are driving ships made out of frigging sewer pipes with THEIR names on them!?

In any case, truckers who survive the adventure get to sell their goods back at full price. Those who can't complete the journey have to sell goods at half price. (A representative from Corporation Inc. makes sure the money goes to their nearest kin, along with a letter of condolence for their loss.)

Authors note: There are a few more nuances to the rules, but you should take the time to read the rule book for yourself. It is truly the most entertaining rule book I have ever read, hands down. It’s also easy to follow. We played our first game and knew exactly what we were doing by the end of the first round.

Olimar’s opinion on the game:

Game?!?! We go out there into the soul reflecting NOTHINGNESS of space to make enough money to feed our children…and it’s just a game to you? So I guess we are your pawns and you are a god competing with other gods to see who can create more Galaxy Trucker widows! Remind me to punch your knee caps when we meet.

Reviewer's Opinion:

Wow. This game is pure fun in a box. I can not promise it’s for everyone. I can only tell you that everyone I have played with had a blast, and we will be playing it many times. Do not worry too much about the pressure of having a time limit. At first, I was concerned about being rushed to build my ship (I hate being rushed normally). However, this truly adds to the fun, and you always have ample time to at least put together a decent ship. You have to think on your feet during the ship building phase, and there are some fun decisions during the adventure phase as well. Deciding what goods to take, when to power up the double engines...it's all very fun and very thematic. It simply is not like anything else out there, making it a viable addition to anyone's game collection. Furthermore, this might be the only game which is probably more fun if you are losing. During my first game, I was quite proud of my ship, and I even managed to finish building first. However, upon inspection, I placed one piece illegally. No big deal, except the removal of this piece disconnected the entire left wing of my ship in the final round of the game. My friends laughed, the dog laughed, and I died just a little inside. (not really, I was laughing the hardest).

Verdict:
Buy this game, unless you hate having fun. And that would just be silly.

9/10

verdict breakdown:
+great components
+fantastic rule book
+easy to learn, with more depth than you may think
+Quick and intense
+Most fun you can have with cardboard and plastic

-my boards were a little warped (should straighten out fairly easily)
-some people may not laugh at their own epic failures in space

Special thanks for the great images from my fellow BGG members.

Trevor Franklin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Parker
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

Nice review, interesting approach.

Just a note: this game has one of the best expansions I have ever seen, it really adds to the replayability of the base game.

Second that whole-heartedly. Nice review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam M.

North Carolina
msg tools
Yes, I must agree that this is a great game. Mainly, because I was one of the truckers who watched with glee as the left side of his ship flew into space. This game has just enough strategy to make things interesting (do I focus on crew members? what about cargo space? oh man, I don't have enough engines to survive after a large meteor strike from the rear! etc.) but enough reliance upon luck to level the playing field pretty well. I honestly haven't laughed so much during a gaming session in quite a while. Looking forward to trucking in space again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob, I am quite certain the expansion will eventually take more of my money from me. It looks excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shane Marolf
United States
watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice revivew! I love the game and the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.