Red Dragon Rising: The Coming War With China» Forums » Rules

Subject: Problem with the US Asia Drawdown Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martinez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I just finished a game where Rule 14.2 ASIA DRAWDOWN VARIANT that is part of the new Add-On Rules was tested. According to the text: "Remove all US 'at start' from Okinawa and place in the reinforcement cup."

The problem is that there are no explicit 'at start' forces in Okinawa. The setup instructions on the map states that a large number of US CVN, Marines, Army, F-16, and SAG forces may start in "Guam/Saipan and/or Honshu/Kyushu and/or Okinawa and/or the Off-Map Holding Box." Following the instructions means that any units that you might place in Okinawa can be relocated to other places.

There is no drawdown as such. This variant just generates a rather sparse Okinawa space with just the Japanese Land Warrior Brigade and a Japanese air unit replacing the missing US units. With the US units in Honshu, they can easily repopulate Okinawa in two turns. I suspect that there is more to this rule.

If the idea is that America tries to reduce overseas costs by removing their forces from Okinawa, moving them to Japan does nothing in this regard. Since I was playing America, I interpredted that ALL units in the Guam/Saipan and/or etc. wound up as reinforcements. My PRC opponent was ectastic at my choice as it seemed to mean a walkover for him in Asia. That is not what happened, but any positive results on my behalf were due more to luck than planning.

If the designer is out there, I would like his take on what he inteded with this rule.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Costello
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
What was intended is that one Marine X and one F-16 be removed from the intial setup on the map and placed in the cup.

The confusion came via oversite. The most typical U.S. setup (not published in the rules) typically places the marine unit and F-16 on Okinawa. It was simply overlooked that this is not a 'standard' written rule.

Furthermore, remove the U.S. mech brigade from Korea and place in the cup.

It is strongly recommended that section 15.0, 'Alternate Victory Conditions', be used together with this rule.

This will be in the errata I hope to have out soonly.

-BC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martinez
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks to the designer for a complete answer. After reading his strategy guide on Consimworld. I suspected that the Marine and F-16 units were what was meant as the Okinawa units that were involved in the drawdown. However, I did not expect the Mech Infantry force in Korea to be taken out as well. THAT will have interesting consequences in the Korea War part of the rules.

By the way, another "Mar X" unit is also taken out for the "US Ground Modernization" Add-On Rule. Does this Drawdown Variant involve another loss of another Marine unit in addition to what is called for in the modernization?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Costello
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Robert - the rules state the Mar X is removed from the Force Pool, not the map. It therefore won't impact the initial setup.

Best;

BC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.