Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week-end, there was a fair in Paris where I had the chance to play the new expansion of Ghost Stories: White Moon.
I was alone, but quickly our table was filled with 4 people. As one of them just discovered the base game and lost on initiation mode, we started on initiation mode also (and I'm not sure I felt too confident also, since I never won the nightmare mode for now).

Thomas, from Repos Prod, explained us the rules:
- the pile of 3 villagers on each tile, except the central one with the portal: they can be destroyed by ghosts (and then you suffer a curse, like losing a tao token or one card less on the bottom of the pile - so less time to destroy Wu-feng), or saved by us if we perform the action on the portal tile (additionnaly, if we save a whole family, we've got artifacts helping us to fight ghosts);
- a new type of ghosts: devourers which simply destroy villager in front of them;
- a new good ghost, Su Ling, who comes to help us every time we suffered something bad (the curse die, an haunted tile and losing a villager): Su Ling blocks the central ability of the ghost she's facing and eventually activate one of the 4 pillars in the corner (if the 4 of them are activated, then a powerful effect is coming into play).

The villagers movement looked quite interesting:
- we can bring one with us in our movement;
- when a haunting ghost is moving towards them (from the card to the first space on board), then the villager is running in the opposite direction;
- if a villager is coming on a tile where 3 villagers are already there or out of the board, then he is destroyed;
- if a tile is haunted, all villagers die! (ouch!)

I began the game by drawing a haunting ghost and we realized a first interesting timing issue: if we place it on the central space on the board, in a way, it helped us to bring one villager on next turn (frightened by it) on the central tile where the portal is, so it could be good to let it survived one turn; of course, we don't want it to haunt the tile (and kill the remaining villagers) so kill it the turn after.

I was Blue with double action / double fight, and so start by double taking buddhas, but had a lot of difficulties afterwards to place them quickly.
Next player was Red, and we discovered then that his power (double movement) was of great use for villagers: he moved from central tile to pick a villager and came back, then as an action saved the villager via the portal.

We had a lot of fear for our villagers so focused a lot on saving them: when possible, bringing pile of 3 on the central tile (either with haunting ghosts, or Red saving them with double movement/action), then I came back on the central tile and double saved them, but honestly we didn't manage to do it as much as we wanted (because threats were everywhere). Green and Yellow were more focusing on fighting urgency (though all were needed): Yellow was clearly efficient (especially with the power of taking a tao token before moving), while the 3 others were... a bit under

We didn't manage to collect a whole family quickly, but get a health potion with a single villager, then later an armor preventing the left effect (when the ghost came into play) on my board. The armor was really useful even late, since it prevented nasty effects.

At this point, we only lost 2 villagers (one devoured, and one on a haunted tile), and un-haunted 2 tiles with our Ying-Yang: each time we had problems, Su-Ling came into play, helping us to block on threatening ghost (either devourer or haunting) while activating 3 of the 4 pillars. Then we activated the circle of energy which helped us to clean a bit the board (and well we had new "toys", we had to use them ).

We decided afterwards to resurrect one Li member with the health potion, then saved the other one, completing the family and giving us 3 Qi we were desesperatly needing.

At this point, Wu-Feng was close to appear and the situation was ok with our Yellow destroyer armed: it was the shapeshifter, which move from empty place to empty place, and is of the colour of the board it is. Our final turn was uniting our forces for success: I had the shapeshifter on my empty board, I get double tao tokens, then Red move a devourer ghost on Yellow board (and avoid its effect on Green turn) and me one step, then Green move the same devourer ghost on her Green board (and avoid its effect on Yellow turn) and me one step facing to the Shapeshifter, then Yellow came on my tile and destroyed Wu-Feng with the help of my tao tokens.

I was impressed on how much discussions we had, and solutions we found in group (and not a single opinion), especially by moving ghosts and dealing with villagers movement: more choices without too much additional complexity, I just found this expansion perfect! I had a taste of the 3rd expansion of the Lord of the rings (which I like a lot) in blocking or not ghosts, and the way villagers were going from places to places, but more integrated on the game (not an additionnal board) and thematic (villagers following the defenders, or fleeing).

Eager to play it again (and preordered it after this session).

Sorry for bad English: nobody is perfect, I'm French
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't apologize about your English. It read wonderfully.

I'm really excited for this expansion and even more so after reading this report. Thank you so much for your efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
Don't apologize about your English. It read wonderfully.

Reading again, I failed on past tense (it was a session) and present tense (describe the mechanisms), so thank you to tell me it seems readable enough (and for reading it )!

Eeeville wrote:
I'm really excited for this expansion and even more so after reading this report. Thank you so much for your efforts!

I was clearly interested by the expansion, but honestly I am impressed by the mechanisms I felt fluid and just adding good stuff to the game. Of course, one session is not enough to be sure, but now I feel Essen is too far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Great session report, thanks! I read through the rules today, but this really helped bring them to life and give me an idea of what the expansion will actually be like in play. And your English was perfectly readable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.