Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize the Golden Geek Awards thread has been pinned for a month, but I only just noticed it today. Nominations are open for another week, and I haven't seen much campaigning for wargames, so this is a thread for that.

There are a couple wargames on the list which I'm really enjoying playing, and which I hope will get some attention more players nominations:

No Retreat! - WWII Eastern Front, June '41 through December '44... with 40 counters and eight pages of rules. Although that may sound like a gimmick, it's a lot of fun to play, and it does a really interesting job of showing the improvement of Soviet forces over the course of the war. Also, although not a CDG, it uses event cards to augment the action on the map in some really neat ways, and to introduce a good dose of fog of war. I'm usually dubious about cards in wargames, but there are several ways in which the luck of the draw is mitigated--if you don't get good, applicable events, there are several other important things you can use the cards for--and a couple of simple (but innovative, hint, hint) mechanisms cause the single shared deck to affect the two sides differently at different points in the game.

The game includes four scenarios, plus you can play the entire campaign. (And the campaign game has multiple victory conditions.) Although it looks like a drab, run-of-the-mill hex-and-counter game, it has a bunch of neat little ideas which combine to make a really fun game. The designer is active on BGG, too.

To The Last Man! - WWI Western Front. Although I associate WWI with immobility, every game I've played of this has had disastrous breakthroughs & sweeping action. Complexity-wise, it feels like the rules have been stripped down to just about the minimum needed to support the kind of nail-biting decisions you get in Rommel in the Desert, where one wrong choice dooms you to defeat. In addition to being a really, really fun game--not to mention Print & Play, hint hint--the graphic design of the cards is the best I've ever seen in any game, as they present the information you need in a perfect mix of usability and theme. Check them out:

(That's right, these awesome cards are for a print-and-play game! Best Artwork/Presentation, people. This is also one of the few wargames whose maps I have framed on my wall.)

In addition to six scenarios (one for each year from 1914 through 1919), it also has half a dozen historical plans for each side, so you can see how von Moltke the Elder's plan of 1879 might have done against the French Plan XIV of 1898. And again, the designer is active on BGG.

All right! Go nominate 'em! (If, uhh, you didn't already, several weeks ago, mumble mumble.) And if there are other wargames which you think should be nominated, feel free to pitch them here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
And if there are other wargames which you think should be nominated, feel free to pitch them here!

No comments, really!? Come on, people, we'll be lucky to have one wargame win an award!

Doesn't someone want to make a case for writing in Valor & Victory 2.0 for Best Print & Play? (I haven't played it yet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I put in some nominations for wargames, but my real comment is that To The Last Man! looks like a great little game and so you should bring it to BGG.Con and teach me how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
To The Last Man! looks like a great little game and so you should bring it to BGG.Con and teach me how to play.

Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I'm a little paranoid about my map--I'll have to take it out of its frame in order to get it on the plane--but one way or another, this will be at BGG.CON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
OK. I'm a little paranoid about my map--I'll have to take it out of its frame in order to get it on the plane--but one way or another, this will be at BGG.CON.

Sweet! I'll add the rule book to the pile I need to read before the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first release Frontline General: Italian Campaign Introduction is also eligible under the new Print & Play category. I'd appreciate any votes for the game!

And for lots more photos: http://social.consimworld.com/photo/album/listForOwner?scree...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
No comments, really!? Come on, people, we'll be lucky to have one wargame win an award!

My comment is simply: Thanks for linking me to To The Last Man!

I had never heard of it, and it looks really striking. The art is better than most of what I've seen coming out of most major wargame publishers--and it's print and play! Amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
My first release Frontline General: Italian Campaign Introduction is also eligible under the new Print & Play category.

Oh, nice, I've been wanting to try this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.