Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Latture
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Years ago I had a copy of SPQR but couldn't fathom the rules and sold it. I'm fascinated by this time period and just bought a copy of SGBoH. Which is the best game to ease me into the system? Using the SGBoH rules, is Alexander easier to pick up than SPQR? Not sure if it makes any difference but I play solo.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the period you're more interested in is more important than the game, but I believe Alexander would be a touch simpler, as the commands available to leaders are more limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riclat wrote:
Years ago I had a copy of SPQR but couldn't fathom the rules and sold it. I'm fascinated by this time period and just bought a copy of SGBoH. Which is the best game to ease me into the system? Using the SGBoH rules, is Alexander easier to pick up than SPQR? Not sure if it makes any difference but I play solo.

Richard

Granicus River laugh Perhaps it is because I won the scenario as Alexander, who is favored much in this scenario. But since you play this solo, I think it doesn't matter. SGBoH retains much of the flavour and spirit of the original game with a much more streamlined command system. yet enough meaty chromes to enjoy. The trump mechanics is compelely replaced by the turn seziure. The commanders are given a number of seizure attempts, limiting the total no. of seize they can make. They can seize the turn by rolling less than or equal to their initiative rating. The penalty for unsuccesful attempts is simply the passing of the turn to your opponent, removing the more severe penalty in the original game. A great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander is indeed a bit easier to get into using the standard rules. But with Simple-GBoH I don't think there is much difference in difficulty level between the two games, I think the scenario's in SPQR are less onesided and therefore more interesting. So I would advise you to pick up SPQR. But as said, what really matters is the subject you're most interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Latture
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the feedback.

I decided to start with Alexander, since it's out of print and I was able to find a used copy at a fairly reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esko Heimonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alexander and SPQR seem to shine above the rest of GBoH. In my eyes, SPQR shines even above Alex.

In Alex, you get to test the Macedonian system against underdeveloped military systems, in some of the most famous battles of history. In Conquest of Gaul, you get to do the same with the Roman system in somewhat less memorable battles; plus test some of what War Galley is about.

In SPQR, the Macedonian system (with great leaders like Pyrrhus and Hannibal) is pitted against the Roman system (with mediocre leaders except for Scipio Africanus). Thus, SPQR offers very asymmetric battles where both sides are trying to exploit their unique strength to the max before they collapse due to their unique weakness. And of course, Deluxe SPQR contains more of everything than any other GBoH game.

In Caesar, Romans fight Romans (Caesar vs. Pompey). The GBoH C3i scenario Marathon starts with a joke explaining that GBoH couldn't start with the Greeks, and had to wait for the Macedodians and their "hammer" cavalry, because the "anvil" (the phalanx) alone is mostly dead boring. The same likely applies to battles between two Roman armies, even if a legion is more maneuverable than a phalanx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.