James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea, and I'd like to know if people think it would be worth doing.

Many people have said on this board that "oh, I have a half-finished dungeon crawl game - I've been working on it for years."

The intended use for this product is

i) to help people to finish those half-finished games.
ii) to make it easier to make these games more original.

It's not intended to be played as a game in itself, but as a tool for would-be game creators to make their own games.

It would be free and public domain.

The idea is to make a set of rules which states the common characteristics of fantasy adventure games.

EDIT: The idea is not to provide graphics, such as dungeon tiles.

The idea is that people who want to make a dungeon crawler/adventure game can start with the tedious but necessary bits done, and change and add as needed.

People who are familiar with role-playing games will know d20 and especially Fudge, which are similar concepts.

In video game terms, the idea is like not having to program your own game, but starting with a finished (but not very good) game and being able to just change the graphics (to make, for example, a science-fiction game), or make your own levels (to make an adventure), or substantially re-program it (creating a new magic system for example), depending on what your idea needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Manning
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose that depends on what you mean:

> If you intend to put together generic graphical elements most people would use in a dungeon-crawl game (Rooms, Monsters, Items, etc) then it's a good idea.

> If you mean to supply mechanics for which people to work off from (To-Hit charts, Health Levels, etc) then it would be better to create it as a guide-line article that people could use as inspiration.

In my mind, graphics only count for so much in a game's design but are usually the hardest part of putting together a project; but the mechanics should be self-created because they really set the feel and flavor of a game; if we keep working off the same mixture/values/levels for the same type of game it becomes dull.

That's just my 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nevill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For my own two penneth... how many of us board game geeks don't already own so many games that we are not short of parts? Anyone who owns Advanced Heroquest, Zombies, Battletech, Space Crusade, Space Hulk etc., etc. already has a vast array of boards and pieces for all kinds of dungeon/space crawlers if they only want to test systems.
Personally I think one of the most time consuming processes that designers have to face which may be worth addressing... is the lists. By that I mean... all the creatures, spells, character classes, magical items, etc. Admittedly most designers will have their own ideas for some creatures, but let's face it... any dungeon based game is going to have orcs, trolls, ogres, clerics, warriors, magical swords, fireball spells, etc. etc. Many designers may have great ideas for their own unique combat systems... but providing blank sheets/lists of all the potential contents would be a massive assistance to many novice designers. In my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Simpson

California
msg tools
designer
publisher
This idea, I like.
You should take it a step further and include a basic game with several sample levels. To show players that they can spark their own designs and branch off of an existing idea. You could build a community of sharing files here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could combine the system (that yuo seem to be interested in) and the graphics (which you'd need to sign someone up for) - then you might have a winner.

I think the rules are easier to "borrow" from an exisitng game than the graphics would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
If you could combine the system (that yuo seem to be interested in) and the graphics (which you'd need to sign someone up for) - then you might have a winner.

I think the rules are easier to "borrow" from an exisitng game than the graphics would be.

seconded .. everyone can "design" a game by claming "this mechanic does that" and so on .. however designing a full fledged game - which would include providing graphics as well - is a more difficult task ..

the past has shown, that kudos rather go to those covering crappy mechanics with eyecandy, than to those providing good mechanics however lacking artistic skill ..

but .. well, yeah: post your ideas here .. actually I have a half finished dungeon crawler lying around .. only a couple of details are missing .. I'd be surprised to see, whether your tool can help me out with these ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...

The idea I'm tinkering with doesn't even use a board and I'm trying to avoid the usual adventure game pitfalls (especially multiplayer solitaire).

But, if you can create consistent fantasy art and possibly even card templates, that would be an immense help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:artwork

I would've thought there'd already be lots of artwork you could use.

For example:

http://greywolf.critter.net/fonts.htm

http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/heroes/

http://www.dreamweavedworlds.com/

(these aren't marked as open-source, but one of them is mine, and the other two I've asked to use and been given permission).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't trying to be snarky with my last post, I was actually asking.

Are those not the kind of things people meant? And if so, what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.