Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is schizophrenic. Allow me to explain. It is an "experience" game. While you do have a higher amount of control than you would think, the game is really presenting to you the story of your character. The problem is that if you play it as an experience game, soaking in all the theme and assisting in the "story" with your words and actions, it will consume twice as much game time. For an already sparse game, this would be intolerable.

I finally played this game last night. Four players and a little over three hours. It was actually rather enjoyable until the very end, when three of the players were constantly attacking each other at the entrance to the inner region. The game culminated in a three-way battle at the crown of command while the fourth player puttered around the outer region on her second character.

We played pretty much as fast as possible. The die was being passed around promptly and encounters were resolved quickly. We never had any "time outs" to check the rules, as we kept the game going whenever a ruling had to be made. We went for the crown as soon as it seemed viable (I actually went for the crown about an hour before the game ended and the dice did not fall my way, so I had to retreat). So, playing as fast as possible with no character deaths and no significant setbacks as a group took us three hours.

In summary, sadly, this game cannot seem to be played in the manner it was designed to be played, unless you have an inordinate amount of free time and extremely willing participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about 1st/2nd edition and just base game?

4th edition has seen a resurgence of late, since I added the Dungeon. 15 games with the base + Reaper + Dungeon, all 3-player, not one game has reached 2 hours, several have finished in under 1 hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It what sense does this relate to a mental health condition? Or are you just using mental health conditions as an insult?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was with second edition, base game only, although I do own "the expansion".

In regards to "schizophrenic", I am referring to how the game desires, and was likely designed, to be an experience game as opposed to a skill-testing game, however playing it in such a fashion would push it into the "put me out of my misery" level of length.

I am actually not saying it is a bad game. Quite the opposite. The experience was enjoyed, at least by my wife and I. The ending was a let-down, but now that we know what it takes to be successful in the inner region, I am curious if the clusterfuck would be as likely to happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You had the wizard, who has the benefit of being able to always have a spell. I think churning through the spells is the way to go with him. I am not sure what you should have done with the counterspell that sat in your hand almost the whole game, since no one was casting spells at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mjbthomson wrote:
All I was able to do most of the time was roll and move. Draw some cards and sometimes I was lucky enough to defeat something but most of the time I was not.

That's Talisman. Love it or hate it!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem difficult for the "spellcasters" in the beginning with their low strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akemi
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Though in the end a spellcaster won! I'd play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks to your repeated psychic beatdown on my poor troll, and stealing my Talisman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ninja Dorg's comment. I don't know why - when I had a copy, I sooooo wanted to like it. But alas - it was never to be. Swapped it in the end for a whole load of Traveller Little Black Books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A long, long time ago...I can still remember.

After a loooooong and heated debate about the relative strengths of characters, we (about six of us) made a pact to play for a while, selecting characters for each other to play, so as to evaluate their relative strengths and weaknesses.

The one thing we all (originally) agreed upon was the super-strength of the Prophetess. Her abilities were legendary and she was the most-feared character at the time. One of my mates selected her for me, one of the trickiest players of that game at that time, just to be mean to the other playtesters.

I died, in four turns. By drawing pairs of strength-based monsters, in succession while I had little control over where I landed, I lost with the most sought-after character in the minimum time possible, with NO character interaction. And the spell was something I couldn't just "burn".

So, we adjusted the way we really thought about the characters...for a long, long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing this game with some frequency lately and it has become one of my favorites. I think three players is a sweet spot. Two seems a little too swingy. I need to give it another try with four.

I played the third edition once and I don't plan on doing it again. It felt rather bland.

I have to say that once you are familiar with the adventure cards and the board spaces, the game really flies even while you inject a bit of theme and get into the mood. There is still a huge onus on the players to hand the dice to the next player to indicate it is their turn, otherwise you get 10 seconds of idle time, which is huge for this game, given that a standard turn could take less time than that. One minute of downtime each round could easily double the overall play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,

It sounds like you're being infected with the Talismanic experience!! That is the way it is with the game! You get sucked in and soon you're playing through, and the experience is REALLY the experience!

We had a group (going waaaaaay back) that pretty much knew all of the cards and spells and such, so there was VERY little downtime. One suggestion? Give everyone their own dice. I do this in Settlers and every game where time keeping things moving is critical to maximize game time.

I'm glad you're enjoying the experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, knowing what the effects of the cards and board spaces just from hearing the name immensely shortens the game time.

I played it again over the weekend with three players and managed one of the fastest wins I have ever seen. I rushed into the middle as the Dwarf. I had only 7 craft and 5 strength. I took the "craft route" in the middle. I had to retry the mines a few times, but managed to find my way through. The lizardmen (or whatever they are) were no match for my potion of strength and mercenaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.