8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Apologies for "noob" question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Nevill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey chaps, only registered today so please excuse my "noob" question...

How do I paste an image in a post please? Do I use BGG image or external image link? If so, and the image I wish to include is on my desktop for example... do I link to it there? Or do I upload the image somehow? Apologies again for being a dolt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek!

If you want to post an image from another website you can use

(img)image link location(/img) - only with brackets, they don't appear if I type it out.

If you want to use an image on BGG use (ImageID=XXXX), where XXXX is the number of the image. Once again with brackets.

http://boardgame.geekdo.com/image/186211 the number would be 186211

Stuff on your desktop computer can be uploaded to your personal gallery here: http://boardgame.geekdo.com/images/user/275268

Then you may post them anywhere on the site.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Nevill
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks DK, much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for apologies. To insert an image that is "housed" on BGG, use the following text:

[imageid=XXXXXX]

The icon to do this is the camera that is to the right of the highlighter icon.

You can also click on the tree icon to insert external images. If you have pictures that do not get past the moderators or simply are not specifically related to a game, you can always upload them to your own picture gallery. Just click on "My Geek" and then Gallery. You can store any number of pictures here.

~Brad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zak Zimmerman wrote:
Thanks DK, much appreciated.

Anytime.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

There are several ways to do what you want:

- 1st. Upload the image to the games page. This takes awhile, because the moderators have to approve it. Once it's approved, you can link it using the "Insert BGG image".
- 2nd. Upload the image to the Gallery section of your profile. This doesn't require moderator approval. You can then use the "Insert BGG image" feature to link it to the article.
- 3rd. Upload the file to another Web server that you may have access to. Then link to it using the "Insert external image" function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Board Game Geek! (BGG)

The icon being talked about is for inserting an image from your gallery, or any BGG image, is . The external image insert icon is .

A key way to learn how things are done is to QuickQuote a message in which you see it done. For example, that will show you how I got the icons in the flow of my text. QuickQuote is the second option in the lower right, below the frame of my message, in blue.

Also see:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Forum_Formatting
and for some more exotic image formatting:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/164979

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

It is very good advice to use the "quote" function. All the tags the original poster used show up in the quoted material, so you can see how they did something.
Otherwise there is a useful metalist called Tricks of the Geek.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.