Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I have completely missed something, there is absolutely no provision for selling stocks. The only way I could see to divest of stock ownership is through mergers.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Once they are "bought" from the available shares box, they are out for good unless a merger occurs. You can sell shares of a company you control (that are in the company's shares box) to the bank to raise capital and these shares can be bought from the bank on future turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
Once they are "bought" from the available shares box, they are out for good unless a merger occurs. You can sell shares of a company you control (that are in the company's shares box) to the bank to raise capital and these shares can be bought from the bank on future turns.

That's what I thought. As a player once you own a stock (whether you acquired it from the available shares box or the shares issued box) you own them until a merger occurs.

There is no other way to divest yourself of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Would it break the game if players were allowed to sell to each other at agreed upon prices? So if I have a share of X and another player wants that share, we can negotiate and decide on a price, then transfer the share. This may allow additional options such as if the shares are gone, this is another source, or if the seller for some reason doesn't want it, it could be a cheaper option. Or shares could be traded for one another (agreed upon exchange rates), which gives people with low cash an option.

Bad idea? It may be, since it seems like that would create a second auction market where people who want a share would bid before bidding on the share released by the CEO. That would not be a good thing.

I just think being able to sell shares somehow would add something but maybe it doesn't fit here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caltino wrote:
Would it break the game if players were allowed to sell to each other at agreed upon prices? So if I have a share of X and another player wants that share, we can negotiate and decide on a price, then transfer the share. This may allow additional options such as if the shares are gone, this is another source, or if the seller for some reason doesn't want it, it could be a cheaper option. Or shares could be traded for one another (agreed upon exchange rates), which gives people with low cash an option.

Bad idea? It may be, since it seems like that would create a second auction market where people who want a share would bid before bidding on the share released by the CEO. That would not be a good thing.

I just think being able to sell shares somehow would add something but maybe it doesn't fit here.

Personally, I think it adds a lot to the game.

Here's the variant we play with:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/47499/roew-variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I like your changes. They are simple enough, but will provide another option when one is needed.

How did you finally decide to handle the share price issue regarding the raiding of a company's cash to pay out dividends and so on? Do you follow what the FAQ suggests, or a variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the chart on page 2. You can still raid a company's cash to pay dividends, but it's not sustainable.

I posted that before the FAQ, but I'm pretty sure page 2 is inline with the FAQ, which is also what Wallace suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.