Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played the game twice, so this will probably become more apparent the more I play, but which of the resources would you rather lose if they are all in the red?

Our humans lost a game last night because we chose to lose 1 Morale (going from 2 to 1) instead of losing 1 fuel (which would have taken it from 2 to 1). Next turn, cylon plays a super crisis, we lose 1 morale, and lose the game.

When it comes down to it, what gets lost the most frequently? Which resources are reasonably safe sitting at 2 or 1? Which ones should you try the hardest to keep safe?

Was our game bad luck, or an uninformed choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion:

Morale seems the "easiest" to get back.
Food is next.
Fuel can be gotten on the destination cards.
Population is almost impossible to get back.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you don't say is what distance you have reached. If it is 8 you will not need to draw another destination and you won't need to lose fuel that way. There are a lot more things that will cause you to lose morale, so you should choose the fuel loss in that case.

But if you have not reached distance 8, then it is almost certain you will need fuel for another jump and in that case you would be better losing morale, it is easier to lose, but it also easier to restore than fuel.

Edit to agree with David about the other resources that I forgot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is safe at 1. 2 isn't much better. Morale gets hit most often on crisis cards. Once resources get near 3 you should look for ways to raise it such as Inspriational Speeches to increase morale. This will not always be possible of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends on cast of characters. Political Leaders are better at dealing with Skill checks; if you have 2 of them (and they are human) then morale is a safer bet than population. If you have 2 human pilots; then I would suggest population over morale.

It's all situational.

However, I think the expansion has made morale and population both more important than they were in the base game.

All things being equal, I would choose to lose food.

Edit to note, I have never lost to running out of food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morale, for sure, just not as low as 1 (exactly because of the way you lost). And never, ever, EVER population. When pop starts to fall it usually plumets, as a lot of civies can die in a few rounds. That's my (somewhat limited) experience so far at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a bit of a crap shoot (one word?).I was next up with 8 on the jump count and a repaired FTL Drive. Had to make the choice. Food or fuel, both at 2. I shouldve gone with the fuel now thinking back. We wouldn't need it to jump, and from what you guys are saying it comes up less on the crisis cards than morale. That's good to note for the future. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
In my opinion:

Morale seems the "easiest" to get back.
Food is next.
Fuel can be gotten on the destination cards.
Population is almost impossible to get back.

-DK

To add...

As others mentioned, morale is easiest to get back, but there are also many more opportunities to lose them. And bear in mind, "easiest" still isn't easy.

Food can be low depending on how you decide to play. Or more specifically, with heavy influence from the president as she makes the choices on those Water Shortages (-1 food or lose cards, 5 of them) and Food Shortages (-2 food or lose cards, 5 of them) crisis cards. All of those minuses easily add up to being in the red

You'll need to expend a good amount of fuel to jump far distances. Covering less ground runs the risk of giving cylon players better amd more opportunities to take down the humans. Also, you need to get lucky (or scout) to make sure you get those cards. 4 of the 22 destination card are the Tylium Planet ones

Make sure you protect pop! It's good to have extra so that you can do an early jump. It's not preferred to lose -1 and -3 pop, but if it keeps you from losing more, or even losing other resources from having to do those extra more crisis cards, then it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caio Almendra
Brazil
flag msg tools
I guess it is a matter of strategy and strength of the players and characters.

Population: You start with a lot of pop(12) and basically will lose it by losing civilians ships. It is also hit by some crisis and you will surely sacrifice it for jumping. There is only one way(in the core game) to get pop and is not a really pleasant/efficient one. It is a crisis card, that will cost 1 fuel and 1 food. So population is always going down. Best way to save some pop is to well protect yours civilian ships. It is useful to save some pop for after Sleeper Agent jump, since with all Cylons on the game, humans will be facing harders times.

Morale: People always says it is easy to get morale back. Well, there are as much Inspirational Speech than Food Rationing, so it is as easy to get food than morale. You can also get a little morale on some crisis card. However, morale is the most common resource to be hit by crisis, so it is not a good option. Surely, have a good non-Cylon president is a way to avoid a morale or food shortage defeat. There is one civilian ship with morale hit, one with fuel hit and one with food hit. This is not particularly important.

Food: Your food suply can be hit by damage on Galactica, one of the civilians ships, but will suffer most of it loss by crisis card. It is in fact a kind of more precious morale, since you will lose and gain it in the same way, but since you have less food, it is worst to lose food than morale in the begining. However, morale decays faster, so it is quite balanced.

Fuel: There is a bunch of fuel spending crisis. Most of then has an option, so fuel shouldn't be hard hitted by crisis. Although,there are some refueling crisis, the most important way of keeping your fuel high is getting sure your Admiral isn't a Cylon. All destinations spend fuel, but some gives refueling oportunities, which should not be wasted. Since the Admiral will chose where to go, a Cylon Admiral can be a really big problem to the fuel suply.

Launching Scout is the most inteligent way to avoid a low suplies defeat. If your problem is morale or food, be sure to launch scouts on the crisis deck. If the problem is fuel, launch on the destination deck. I've read some sessions and some PBF games, and realized some people don't use the launch scout perfectly. It doesn't matter if the crisis is easy to pass, the most important information for the humans is the jump prep icon. Every crisis that doesn't has the icon should go to the bottom, unless a success gives a really good bonus(not that common).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brotherjo wrote:
Only played the game twice, so this will probably become more apparent the more I play, but which of the resources would you rather lose if they are all in the red?

Our humans lost a game last night because we chose to lose 1 Morale (going from 2 to 1) instead of losing 1 fuel (which would have taken it from 2 to 1). Next turn, cylon plays a super crisis, we lose 1 morale, and lose the game.

When it comes down to it, what gets lost the most frequently? Which resources are reasonably safe sitting at 2 or 1? Which ones should you try the hardest to keep safe?

Was our game bad luck, or an uninformed choice?

I believe Bomb on Colonial One is -2 Morale so if you were hit with that Super Crisis it wouldn't matter if you were at 1 or 2 morale there. With a Super Crisis that damaged Galactica I believe two of the damage tokens are Fuel and Morale. So it would have been chance.

It's not an easy call. The best thing of course is to not the numbers dip that low, but that's easy to say, not necessarily easy to do.

I will say that since there are more "lose morale" Crises in the deck than "lose fuel" it would be safer to lose fuel... but only if you were already at 8. If you weren't, you probably lost the game already, but might have a chance if you didn't lose fuel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zeroth hour wrote:
I believe Bomb on Colonial One is -2 Morale so if you were hit with that Super Crisis it wouldn't matter if you were at 1 or 2 morale there. With a Super Crisis that damaged Galactica I believe two of the damage tokens are Fuel and Morale. So it would have been chance.

It's not an easy call. The best thing of course is to not the numbers dip that low, but that's easy to say, not necessarily easy to do.

I will say that since there are more "lose morale" Crises in the deck than "lose fuel" it would be safer to lose fuel... but only if you were already at 8. If you weren't, you probably lost the game already, but might have a chance if you didn't lose fuel.
The thing that damaqges Galactica twice is a cylon reveal power. NOT a super crisis.

It usually isn't an easy call. I hear poelple say all sorts of different things.... it's always fuel that kills us, food, population, centurions, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual wrote:
zeroth hour wrote:

The thing that damaqges Galactica twice is a cylon reveal power. NOT a super crisis.

It usually isn't an easy call. I hear poelple say all sorts of different things.... it's always fuel that kills us, food, population, centurions, etc.

I forget whether Inbound Nukes damaged Galactica or just Civilian ships (or neither). I believe there's also a Morale civilian ship in the mix as well. I was actually thinking of the activation of the basestars on the Massive Assault card when I said "damage Galactica".

The two Cylon reveals that hurt in this case are the "take 5 damage tokens and choose 2" and the other one that hurts morale directly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think nukes is -1 fuel, food and moral... not sure though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
I think nukes is -1 fuel, food and moral... not sure though.

It's -1 Fuel, -1 Food, and -1 Population.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.